User Tag List

First 12345 Last

I have so many small supermarkets around this region, Whole Foods is no exception. I even wonder why they would want to open a Super Wal-Mart when the place I do my shopping at is already over-saturated with everything supermarket. What is funny is that once they opened a Super Wal-Mart around that area, quite a lot more business came because people found out how much cheaper they can get their foods as opposed to buying everything at the Super Wal-Mart. Not to mention free meat butchering as opposed to buying small packages of meat.

I mean, god, off the top of my head, this one street alone.... a giant chunk of international supermarkets that I would guess at about 10 within just walking distance from one another(one of them offering free butchering services for the meat section which is REALLY popular,) one Smart and Final, 1 Super Wal-mart, 1 Costco, 1 Sam's club (funny how Wal-Mart opened it so close to Costco.)

It is like almost every type of store I need is within driving distance in one way or another. If I wanted to go to Trader Joes, The Nugget, Farmers Market, Safeway, Foodsco and etc... all I have to do is drive a few miles the other direction. It is like another 10 supermarkets that are more American type style layout (guess what? they have a Wal-Mart this direction too.)

And what? I live in the Suburbs too.

MBTI
    INTj

You poor people make me laugh.

Hahahahaha!

All I know is my personal chef goes there and he turns out some mighty tasty foodz.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I have an unused $20 groupon to Whole Foods.

I've never been in one. What's worth paying attention to at a WF?
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post

I always enjoy sniffing the open barrels of coffee beans near the coffee section.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I always enjoy sniffing the open barrels of coffee beans near the coffee section.

Sniff coffee beans, check.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i miss wholefoods and eatzis. :/
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

In my experience, the best combinations of good product/good value are Three Wishes wine ($2 and tastes much better than that), the bins of loose nuts sold by weight, the cheese counter, and "365" products (their store brand). The worst deals are prepared food (including store-made dips and salsas), beer, liquor, frozen food, and baked goods.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I buy a lot of my lunches there, I really like their hot/cold food bar as I can't find anything like it near where I work. However I just buy actual groceries at costco/stop and shop.
    In a pinch I use to drive across the street after working out and get a salad and if I was feeling indulgent for their indian food from the hot bar but damn that stuff adds up weight wise. I think a very small lunch (1/2 the portion for a similar priced meal at a sit down restaurant) adds up to at least $11 for hot food (maybe I'm going for the heavy stuff?) The real draw though was to get the coconut juice or kombucha with it to drink. :P

I might double think the hot bar after reading a review by a disgruntled employee. He said the soups and hot dishes used all the produce that was deemed unfit for sale (old, etc.) which makes sense but it can make you wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    You poor people make me laugh.

Hahahahaha!

All I know is my personal chef goes there and he turns out some mighty tasty foodz.
    You're not referring to your wife are you?

My brother likes to shop there but after I gave him $30 to eat a SINGLE scallop with a bit of starch I was like WTF :rawr: etc. etc. Partially his fault for spending my money poorly and to feed OTHER people but also yeah it adds up.

It depends on what you like to eat. I had that same voucher and I used it to stock up on coconut water and 'organic free range humane blah blah blah eggs'. If you like probiotics (yogurt etc.) WF has LOTS of that. Or kombucha. Or Good Belly coconut probiotic water which is basically an alternative to kefir. If you want to splurge you should go for their bathing/beauty products because those are pricey. Or their meats which according to my brother who's worked in a 'fancy hotel restaurant' are marked up like 10x per ounce. Ooh, to be indulgent and not health conscious at all pick up some wine and/or beer and make a cheese/fig/honey plate. Honestly, I think their produce is kinda meh as you can get much of the exact same produce (Driscoll's non organic berries? Preboxed salad greens? C'mon) at your local generic grocery store but they also have in season organic persimmons and organic ginger.

They also have tons of chocolates.

They also sell this type of snack flat bread (not in the bread shelves you have to go to the section near the hot/cold bar and bread section) that is stuffed with either spinach or sweet potato that is quite tasty and unlike something you'd find in a 'typical grocery store'.

If you're feeling adventurous...kale chips? They also sell dense pure chocolate and coconut oil bars in their cold section next to their bulk nuts. You could grind your own peanut butter? Which is available at every co-op across America but if you don't live near a co-op it can be neat.

Canned black soy beans? (BTW, <--those are disgusting and remain very tough and hard even after soaking for long periods and cooking, they are another disgusting untasty low carb non-alternative) Coconut milk gelato?

I'm trying to think of things that you don't commonly find in a typical grocery store that you can 'splurge' on.

Can't wait to hear what you get and your field notes.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    In a pinch I use to drive across the street after working out and get a salad and if I was feeling indulgent for their indian food from the hot bar but damn that stuff adds up weight wise. I think a very small lunch (1/2 the portion for a similar priced meal at a sit down restaurant) adds up to at least $11 for hot food (maybe I'm going for the heavy stuff?) The real draw though was to get the coconut juice or kombucha with it to drink. :P

I might double think the hot bar after reading a review by a disgruntled employee. He said the soups and hot dishes used all the produce that was deemed unfit for sale (old, etc.) which makes sense but it can make you wonder.

You're not referring to your wife are you?

My brother likes to shop there but after I gave him $30 to eat a SINGLE scallop with a bit of starch I was like WTF :rawr: etc. etc. Partially his fault for spending my money poorly and to feed OTHER people but also yeah it adds up.

It depends on what you like to eat. I had that same voucher and I used it to stock up on coconut water and 'organic free range humane blah blah blah eggs'. If you like probiotics (yogurt etc.) WF has LOTS of that. Or kombucha. Or Good Belly coconut probiotic water which is basically an alternative to kefir. If you want to splurge you should go for their bathing/beauty products because those are pricey. Or their meats which according to my brother who's worked in a 'fancy hotel restaurant' are marked up like 10x per ounce. Ooh, to be indulgent and not health conscious at all pick up some wine and/or beer and make a cheese/fig/honey plate. Honestly, I think their produce is kinda meh as you can get much of the exact same produce (Driscoll's non organic berries? Preboxed salad greens? C'mon) at your local generic grocery store but they also have in season organic persimmons and organic ginger.

They also have tons of chocolates.

They also sell this type of snack flat bread (not in the bread shelves you have to go to the section near the hot/cold bar and bread section) that is stuffed with either spinach or sweet potato that is quite tasty and unlike something you'd find in a 'typical grocery store'.

If you're feeling adventurous...kale chips? They also sell dense pure chocolate and coconut oil bars in their cold section next to their bulk nuts. You could grind your own peanut butter? Which is available at every co-op across America but if you don't live near a co-op it can be neat.

Canned black soy beans? (BTW, <--those are disgusting and remain very tough and hard even after soaking for long periods and cooking, they are another disgusting untasty low carb non-alternative) Coconut milk gelato?

I'm trying to think of things that you don't commonly find in a typical grocery store that you can 'splurge' on.

Can't wait to hear what you get and your field notes.
    Wow, thanks, you're like a virtual personal shopper!

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    In my experience, the best combinations of good product/good value are Three Wishes wine ($2 and tastes much better than that), the bins of loose nuts sold by weight, the cheese counter, and "365" products (their store brand). The worst deals are prepared food (including store-made dips and salsas), beer, liquor, frozen food, and baked goods.
    Thanks! I'll keep that info in mind.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

i used to work there. they have good food, but i feel ridiculous shopping there without a 30% discount, it's so expensive. i loved buying stuff when it was on sale, plus a coupon, plus my discount. i remember a couple weeks where i'd get a 75 cent carton of ben and jerry's after work everyday. it wasn't a bad company to work for (mostly), but they oversell their whole philosophy too much. we didn't even have recycling in the break room, which i thought was pretty funny. also i know for a fact that they use preservatives and other bad non-organic no no stuff on their prepared foods, which i don't care about because it's still tastes good, but they try to project the ~all natural~ image way too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Gish View Post
    They have good dumpsters if you like diving.
    i bet, they throw soooo much stuff out. i'd always feel so guilty and wasteful when people would get like 20 dollars worth of food from the food bars and be like oh no! this is too expensive i don't want this anymore! and we had to toss it. me and my coworkers would try and save it and eat it for ourselves behind the counter when we could get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    The cashiers tend to suck though and cop obvious attitude which is weird since I thought being a cashier was a 'reward' for being a better worker. At least, that is my own experience in retail.
    nah, customer service is it's own department there and it's kinda the bottom of the food chain in the store. make the least money, do all the bitch work. basically in customer service, girls and less masculine guys were on the register and the other guys got to hang out in the parking garage all day collecting carts and smoking.