User Tag List

First 1234 Last

violaine

I love Whole Foods.

I don't get why people don't like WF. I love good food and hate fast food with a passion though. Yuck, yuck, yuck. And I don't really have anything else I'd rather spend money on than good food. But I don't get it, unless perhaps it's something to do with the founder or my in-store experiences are really different from other shoppers. I've never had a bad experience with any staff I've interacted with. I'm actually crazily in love with WF, anyone who knows me knows about my fetish. So glad there's one place I can do all of my food shopping. I think it doesn't have to be really expensive if you just buy less processed foods and stick to more fresh foods and staple foods.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Can go to hell. Nothing but nasty stuff in there anyway.

I don't have a problem with the items on sale at Whole Foods. I like their store lay outs and the employees on the floor tend to be nice or at least don't bust an attitude 4/5 times. The cashiers tend to suck though and cop obvious attitude which is weird since I thought being a cashier was a 'reward' for being a better worker. At least, that is my own experience in retail.

What I absolutely loathe though is (and @EffEmDoubleyou can back me up on at least 1 of these!!)

1) The crazy crowds I thought elitist stores by definition should be peaceful oases of disposable income? I feel like I've just hit the eye of shopping storm when a packed [_________] tourist bus descends onto a Burberry outlet. Or something. I get a frazzled feeling and I don't like that.

2) THE OTHER SHOPPERS. 90% of the time they are on the other side of stuck-up, rude, and ignorant. Stop hogging the aisles with your screaming future Aryan leader children you entitled housewife, stop reaching over me wordlessly or even worse "whoops, excuse you and grabbing organic kale, stop taking up as much space in the aisles and time in the check out line as possible after you've received your receipt just because you think you can. I actually wrote a rant about WF on CL but some homely entitled WF shoppers took offense and flagged it. Twice. :P

Ugh.

Luckily in CA there are other alternatives (especially if you live in LA or SF) and you can get a lot of staples they have at WF at your Safeway (seriously 1/2 their produce is the same generic stuff at other supermarkets) but Whole Foods unfortunately just has all the brands under one roof. Otherwise I would go store to store to pick up my small shopping list piecemeal. I try to go at off peak hours and have found possibly the only WF in CA that isn't always crazy packed.

As for WF being evil because of their corporate practices, etc. Well, yeaaaaah, it's a giant behemoth chain of 'specialty food' supermarkets. Aren't all giant behemoth retailers evil to some extent?

I really doubt the bulk of shoppers (refer to 2) give an endangered obscure east African rat's ass about any of the 'socially conscious' blahblahblah marketing stuff around WF so you can't say anyone is being 'fooled'. What the bulk of shoppers at WF like is the privileged and elite sheen of it and being able to drop lots of money on small quantities of things that are supposed to help you live forever and look better. It's like Lululemon environmentalism or celebrity veganism. There's a lot of cache in going through the motions. And no one is forcing anyone to buy the equivalent of a designer cut of organic free range chicken.

My advice is if you like the stuff WF has (or is supposed to have) and are lucky enough to live in a city with alternatives, buy a share in a food co-op program or shop at actual co-ops. WF basically just took the co-op idea and melded it with high end food retailing like Dean and Deluca or those "$100 for a dozen rare in season pears" mail order clubs.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

@violaine it's all about price and region of town to me... if I can find the same things that I want to buy at a much better price and don't have to go so near to [insert name of intolerably snobby suburb here] I'm thrilled! and my store is around the corner from my house as well... I also don't ever shop for pre-prepared food, as I like to cook it to my own tastes myself, so I really have no reason to go to whole foods... plus, I can never catch the manager when I'm there on business
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I have to go there today to pick up something I can find nowhere else. The prices? Hideous.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

Anew Leaf

I love Whole Foods. It probably depends on where you live in the US to see if it's a better deal than other places or not. I get 90% of my food from there now: fresh, organic produce (giant bundle of collard greens, kale, spinach, chard, etc costs $2.50 versus $5-7 at other stores by me); bulk grains (quinoa @ $3/lb versus 5-10 at other stores); frozen fruit; a wide selection of oils (flax seed, hemp seed, grape seed, coconut, etc) at either the same price or a tad higher... however, there is an actual selection at WH versus 1 choice at other stores.

When the Farmer's Markets reopen in May (?) for us here in Minnesota, then I will switch to getting most of my produce there. However, for now I am sticking with WH and enjoying it.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    I don't have a problem with the items on sale at Whole Foods. I like their store lay outs and the employees on the floor tend to be nice or at least don't bust an attitude 4/5 times. The cashiers tend to suck though and cop obvious attitude which is weird since I thought being a cashier was a 'reward' for being a better worker. At least, that is my own experience in retail.

What I absolutely loathe though is (and @EffEmDoubleyou can back me up on at least 1 of these!!)

1) The crazy crowds I thought elitist stores by definition should be peaceful oases of disposable income? I feel like I've just hit the eye of shopping storm when a packed [_________] tourist bus descends onto a Burberry outlet. Or something. I get a frazzled feeling and I don't like that.

2) THE OTHER SHOPPERS. 90% of the time they are on the other side of stuck-up, rude, and ignorant. Stop hogging the aisles with your screaming future Aryan leader children you entitled housewife, stop reaching over me wordlessly or even worse "whoops, excuse you and grabbing organic kale, stop taking up as much space in the aisles and time in the check out line as possible after you've received your receipt just because you think you can. I actually wrote a rant about WF on CL but some homely entitled WF shoppers took offense and flagged it. Twice. :P

Ugh.

Luckily in CA there are other alternatives (especially if you live in LA or SF) and you can get a lot of staples they have at WF at your Safeway (seriously 1/2 their produce is the same generic stuff at other supermarkets) but Whole Foods unfortunately just has all the brands under one roof. Otherwise I would go store to store to pick up my small shopping list piecemeal. I try to go at off peak hours and have found possibly the only WF in CA that isn't always crazy packed.

As for WF being evil because of their corporate practices, etc. Well, yeaaaaah, it's a giant behemoth chain of 'specialty food' supermarkets. Aren't all giant behemoth retailers evil to some extent?

I really doubt the bulk of shoppers (refer to 2) give an endangered obscure east African rat's ass about any of the 'socially conscious' blahblahblah marketing stuff around WF so you can't say anyone is being 'fooled'. What the bulk of shoppers at WF like is the privileged and elite sheen of it and being able to drop lots of money on small quantities of things that are supposed to help you live forever and look better. It's like Lululemon environmentalism or celebrity veganism. There's a lot of cache in going through the motions. And no one is forcing anyone to buy the equivalent of a designer cut of organic free range chicken.

My advice is if you like the stuff WF has (or is supposed to have) and are lucky enough to live in a city with alternatives, buy a share in a food co-op program or shop at actual co-ops. WF basically just took the co-op idea and melded it with high end food retailing like Dean and Deluca or those "$100 for a dozen rare in season pears" mail order clubs.
    another store i can't stand is the berkeley bowl but that's because it's always overcrowded and impossible to find a place to park
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I buy a lot of my lunches there, I really like their hot/cold food bar as I can't find anything like it near where I work. However I just buy actual groceries at costco/stop and shop.

I saw a car in the parking lot with a sign in the back window, that said "I am the 99% and you are too!" It made my day. So delicious.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

i like whole foods.

the customers are entitled jackasses sometimes though.

Go to a smaller store (or chain) if you can find one in your city. Especially for your meat. If you've got a decent, small, locally-sourced/antibiotic-free/hormone-free/ethically-raised butcher shop in your area go to them. Give them all your business. I command you!

It's great for the farmers. I guarantee it.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by allegorystory View Post
    Go to a smaller store (or chain) if you can find one in your city. Especially for your meat. If you've got a decent, small, locally-sourced/antibiotic-free/hormone-free/ethically-raised butcher shop in your area go to them. Give them all your business. I command you!

It's great for the farmers. I guarantee it.
    Yes. I don't miss living close to Whole Foods as the prices are ridiculous and the place is packed. I do miss Trader Joe's like crazy though. All our meat comes directly from the farm, we choose the cow/pig and everything.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.