First 56789 Last

Thread: The Forum Flow

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

I never said I didn't like the heat. Why can't NT's be more versatile? Very robotic at times.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    I never said I didn't like the heat. Why can't NT's be more versatile? Very robotic at times.
    The point is not to diffuse arguments by derailing threads. It's annoying.

MBTI
    INXP

<--- as close to Robotic as I can find. A sort of overweight NT, trying to dance.

More human than human MetalWounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    TP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Ultimately the derailing of a thread can't occur without participation of the members involved in the discussion. If they simply ignore the comment that was put forth with the purpose of derailing it will become meaningless.
    I'm doing science and I'm still alive

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    Right. And that's called derailing.

If you don't like the heat. . . then just stay out of the thread.

Go-go Forum Flow!
    Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    The point is not to diffuse arguments by derailing threads. It's annoying.
    Alright tag team I get it. I just happen to like both members and didn't want to see either one of them upset (assuming they both were).
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    <--- as close to Robotic as I can find. A sort of overweight NT, trying to dance.
    Geoff no matter how hard you try, you'll never be a bad guy. Thats a good thing in case you were wondering. ;P
    Time is a delicate mistress.

Enneagram
    1w2

...I just happen to like both members and didn't want to see either one of them upset (assuming they both were).
    Well it seems like Substitute is more upset than I am (and I'm not upset at all). I suppose he has other matters on his mind as well.

Blessed are the peacemakers and all that rah rah.

MBTI
    INXP

Geoff no matter how hard you try, you'll never be a bad guy. Thats a good thing in case you were wondering. ;P
    Damn... you saw through my soft fluffy exterior, to the soft fluffy person underneath.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by MetalWounds View Post
    Ultimately the derailing of a thread can't occur without participation of the members involved in the discussion. If they simply ignore the comment that was put forth with the purpose of derailing it will become meaningless.
    Not a bad point.

Still, it's not just about the current participants, it's about ALL the readership -- people who might come later and want to follow/find a particular topic and end up saying, "Screw this" (as I have done on other sites) if it's impossible to follow the thread of interest.

So please remember this: We're stuck trying to find the most common denominator for people to most easily follow a particular thread. We don't want to muck with the EP flow, but somehow we have to organize a non-static and very dynamic conversation flow on multiple topics in a way that stands up under time as accessible to as many different types of readers as possible.

As far as mods asking OPs and others for permission before splitting? I think that might be good occassionally if it's clear there are some personal issues involved, but I don't really know any other site that does that habitually; the mods make the decisions they think are prudent, try to interfere as little as possible otherwise, and people just accept that they're doing what they think is best. It's just... odd to me.

Personally, I don't split threads much at all -- I'm an NP and like to bounce around to connected topics or have things relaxed, but I also like things to follow some sort of coherence and add some meat in some way to the current discussion. I thought it was [sadly] funny, the few times I have, I think I've always had a complaint from someone. It looks like you can't win...
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I thought it was [sadly] funny, the few times I have, I think I've always had a complaint from someone. It looks like you can't win...
    You can if you ignore the complaints!

La la la la la, la la la la la . . .

MBTI
    ENTP

I'm cool - I had a great day, as my blog attests!

I was briefly upset over... well, just felt wrongly judged really, just in this thread, but I'm way over it and y'know, just made a few mental notes there for the future, but yeah, in general and before that, I am and was fine. I guess it's just an occupational hazard of being me, that sometimes no matter how many people are supportive of me, I just get bent outta shape temporarily because of there being just one schmuck that isn't. I've heard Oberon saying that too, about just not being able to stand not being liked, even by just one person or a small minority, even if the huge majority are blowing trumpets and laying out red carpets for you It's okay, give it a few hours doing something else and perspective is regained and I let it go and it's cool again.

Edahn, I prolly don't need to say it to you, but I will anyway - it doesn't bother me, the forum being the way you say in the OP, it just bores me But I was born bored, I guess, so I never take offence at being bored and never expect people to change things so I'm not, cos I know what I'm like, I'll only be bored again in five minutes anyway. It wasn't boredom that prompted my initial response though - it was my boredom being banished momentarily by the curiosity I felt at seeing you and other people saying they liked something that I just found dull. Just made me think 'wow, we're different alright', so ... there you go.

All my subsequent posts should just be ignored, really, after the first one, cos though the essential points in them (which I stand by) are addressing a purely intellectual issue from an intellectual angle, there are emotions detectable in them that are not in response to that issue, but to the frustration I was feeling with Proteanmix. And that's been misleading I think, as to my feelings about the forum flow/thread splitting thing etc.

Truth be told, if I were to actually make a personal judgement, as opposed to an observation about the forum flow, which I've not yet done, then I'd say all in all, it's a pendulum thing. It swings back and forth. sometimes it's all drama, sometimes it's all quiet on the Western front, and shades in between as it swings back and forth. For a while it was somewhat strongly on the social side, which I was fine with, but yeah, I'm just as happy to let it swing back the other way so other people have a chance to be happy with it for a bit before it, inevitably, swings back. Plus &#231;a change, etc.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen