Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    <3
    Socionics
    wtf

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I'm really not understanding where this anti-fluff sentiment is coming from. The only thing that madmins have asked is that fluffy stuff stay in the fluffy areas. The Bonfire is the most active sub-forum and the Fluff Zone isn't far behind. It sounds like some people take affront to simply moving and/or splitting threads. Don't take it personally, seriously.
    Are you a mod/madmin/whatever-they're-called? That would be perfect, seriously.

I don't take anything personally; I said as much earlier.

Seriously, though, it's the serious ones you have to watch out for.

PS: This site is slow as ballz.
    You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. - Jack London

MBTI
    INFP

Protean is admin.

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by nemo View Post
    Are you a mod/madmin/whatever-they're-called? That would be perfect, seriously.
    Yes, I'm a whatever-they're-called.

I was all frothy and foamy with a reply to Sub and then my post was gobbled by the MBTIc aether. Probably for the best.

Til we meet again Sub!

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

I know, wtf?!

proteanmix and Substitute should totally hook up. If you need any helping connecting pm me.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    ENTP

Protean I think what nemo and I are trying to say is that it's not fair to reduce a genuine concern like ours down to a petty personal greviance and invalidate it thereby. We're not talking about wanting to talk about our favourite brand of talcum powder in the politics zone ffs. We're talking about how the linear model of argument that's encouraged here as the ideal represses EP style thought.

If you ever get the chance, I encourage you to spy on a conversation between two EP's. You'll see in the course of an hour, two people seeming to randomly go through dozens of subjects, apparently with miniscule attention spans to the observer, talking about anything and everything. But then right near the end, you'll see them suddenly start going "Aha!" and awful lot, and ALL the things they've talked through will suddenly be linked together and related, and the truth they all point to and demonstrate will be offered as an explanation of the first question that was asked an hour ago. And if anyone else is there, they'll say "Dude, that was awesome! I totally never realized how everything could be so interconnected like that!" But the EP's will just shrug and open the cookies and start talking about football... only to later relate it, convincingly, to Eisenhauer's birthmarks.

We're trying to say that it's not encouraging, inspiring or accommodating, this place, to EP style exploration, exactly because of the splitting and moving and stuff. It means we can't explore or contribute in the way that's natural to us. We're sorta being discrimminated against for just being the way we are, as if we're second class citizens and are only welcome as long as we 'behave ourselves' - that is, don't be ourselves!!
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    I know, wtf?!
    A record number of members have logged in over the last hour.

. . . So, that's part of it.

Go Forum Flow!
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Sub, I have conversations like that, too. It's not just an EP thing. I don't recall ever making open-ended threads against the rulez here, but when a thread DOES have a stated topic (especially if the author isn't as enthusiastic as you are about subject-hopping) different topics are put elsewhere. Not as punishment, or chastisement, but in part so the offshoots can get input from other forum participants who might not think to look for a discussion of the English Romantics in a Windows Vista Sux! thread. I think what you are describing can totally, totally be done here- but YOU may need to take that initiative and start some threads in that style. It doesn't make sense in an all-types community to let all the threads be open-ended topic soup, but probably a lot of people would enjoy that, so why not make it happen?

I'm not sure you whippersnappers fully appreciate the task of making a community accessible to people of wildly different personality types. We try to do SOME organization, without being too type-A, but it sometimes seems like that pleases no one. Everyone's got to give up a little of their perfect ideal forum so that everyone can have a pretty okay forum.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Protean I think what nemo and I are trying to say is that it's not fair to reduce a genuine concern like ours down to a petty personal greviance and invalidate it thereby. We're not talking about wanting to talk about our favourite brand of talcum powder in the politics zone ffs. We're talking about how the linear model of argument that's encouraged here as the ideal.If you ever get the chance, I encourage you to spy on a conversation between two EP's. You'll see in the course of an hour, two people seeming to randomly go through dozens of subjects, apparently with miniscule attention spans to the observer, talking about anything and everything. But then right near the end, you'll see them suddenly start going "Aha!" and awful lot, and ALL the things they've talked through will suddenly be linked together and related, and the truth they all point to and demonstrate will be offered as an explanation of the first question that was asked an hour ago. And if anyone else is there, they'll say "Dude, that was awesome! I totally never realized how everything could be so interconnected like that!" But the EP's will just shrug and open the cookies and start talking about football... only to later relate it, convincingly, to Eisenhauer's birthmarks.

We're trying to say that it's not encouraging, inspiring or accommodating, this place, to EP style exploration, exactly because of the splitting and moving and stuff. It means we can't explore or contribute in the way that's natural to us. We're sorta being discrimminated against for just being the way we are, as if we're second class citizens and are only welcome as long as we 'behave ourselves' - that is, don't be ourselves!!
    I really like the way you've turned around your comment about the heavyhanded madmin-ing that you think is going down into me invalidating EP concerns. If EPs, ENPs, or whatever feel like they're being unfairly staunched, why don't you create a thread exploring the Nature of Ne. If you're bored with the forum you can:

1. Create threads that are interesting to you,
    2. Comment on existing threads to make them more interesting to you,
    3. Decrease your posting frequency

I'm sure there are more possibilities out there and you seem quite capable of brainstorming so you can get right to it.

If you feel that splitting or moving threads is threatening to Ne, I simply don't know how to respond to that. The forum has got to be managed, which means thread splits and moves will occur. I don't see why the forum should be more friendly to one type at the expense of others. Some people would say that there isn't enough thread management going on. We can't please everyone.

So it sounds to me that splitting and moving threads is personal to some members of the forum. Like I said before don't take it personally. Having your thread split or merged isn't an indictment against the individual poster or indicating that your viewpoint isn't valid.

MBTI
    ENTP

*sigh*

I didn't say I did think it ought to be handled or managed Protean... I distinctly said that it was just for Edahn to mull over and just to put it out there for others to think about/decide on, and that I was cool whatever they did/didn't do with it. I was quite literally just "putting it out there". I really do find it very tiring how you seem to always think that I've got an agenda, or that I'm asking for something, and then get angry with me when what you decide I might be asking is something that you think can't be done. I don't know how to respond to that, except to just say that's it, I've had enough of sticking my neck out to put across 'the other side' for today. I know it's kinda what I do for a living so I should be used to it, having to bust a gut to try and put across something that's not obvious and therefore most people won't agree with or even understand... but maybe that's why I said in the first place that I didn't really want to go into it.

Or maybe I was just bored and trying to back out of what I said because I knew I was talking shit, huh?

----

Of course record numbers are logging in. It's because I'm posting again
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen