User Tag List

123 Last

garbage

Default Organization and organizational tools: even the P's are welcome!

I personally believe in organizing just enough that minor things in life aren't a total pain in the ass. As an example of this, I organize my medicine cabinet into bins for "weekly medications," "cold meds," "headache meds," and so on, but I don't go so far as to alphabetize my medications. Once in a while I'll apply a more "strict" organization, knowing and accepting full well that it'll decay slightly but that it'll save me even more effort for a little while.

I also use Google Calendar to keep track of my appointments and events, and I have a few Google Tasks lists of things to buy and things that I need to do. These sync "across the cloud" (lol) to all of my devices.

In addition, my mind is a jumble and I can be fairly absent-minded. So, if I think of something, I want to record it right then and there so I don't have to remember it later.

More embarrassingly, I modified the userChrome.css to give me a dark tab for "new tab"s, which I use as separators for topics or ideas. (I've tried Tab Mix Plus, etc. -- not my thing.)

The point is that thinkin' a bit right now (e.g. organizing or writing something down) saves me a lot of thinkin' later (e.g. remembering something or sifting through piles of stuff). Things that can think for me at lower levels so that I don't have to worry about lower-level thought are also great. But these organizational systems aren't often ends in and of themselves for me.

What do you do to stay organized? Do you use mind maps or checklists? In particular, have you found a good set of software that helps you stay on track? Or do you prefer pen and paper methods?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sp
    Socionics
    INTp

Excell

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

I'm actually not very organized. My thinking is extremely orderly, but I don't keep my surroundings organized at all.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

I use microsoft outlook to record to dos in the task list and future events in the calendar which is synced with my mobile phone. I use osftware to store and encrypt usernames and passwords. I have documents in folders in a filing cabinet. Work stuff is all done through outlook linked to a Blackberry. My wife takes care of stuff at home, birthdays etc (also INtJ). I still feel disorganised but I suppose I dont do too badly.

i keep my incarnations separate, using egos. those can be programmed for special organization schemes, like 'fuck it or kill it', religions, racism, social status, grades & education levels, diagnostic manuals, typology, felt degrees of sensitivity, tested degrees of cognitive complexity. this allows me to focus on one motherfucker at a time.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I can't possibly organise myself.
    Solution: I need to get a PA
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I have everything compartmentalized. All bathroom, hygiene, and products go in one section.. clothing for work in another, clothing for house work in another, etc. Having sections means I know just where to go.. The things that don't seem to fit in anywhere get hung on the wall usually, or put in a catch-all area.

Having a junk-drawer that's exposed helps me keep things in shape. If it's an actual drawer, i'll stick it and forget it and never clean it... exposed, via a box, helps a lot since I always see it and walk by it. If I'm too lazy to put something away immediately, it goes in one of the two black boxes I keep sitting on the dresser top. If company comes over, or the next day, or when I have time, I can just grab that bin and carry it to each station and do what I needed to do. I do this same thing with a small laundry basket just inside the front door--any running around, exchanges, returns, etc. goes in the basket and I just grab it on the way out the door.

Once a year I do a really deep clean of my stuff... throwing away the old, the untouched, the unworn, and the god-what-was-i-thinking.

I tend to splurge on organization tools, cleaning products, and things of that nature. I tend to use it more if it's less hassle and 'cool'er. Yeah, I know, Im such a kid. The latest and greatest is one of those Neat machine scanners, which I got so that I wouldn't have so much paper clutter. It's been an absolute blessing, I love it, and I've gotten rid of so much paper clutter as a result.

To-do lists, budgets, and alarms set on my phone help me with daily things, bigger-picture items, finances, work schedules, and laundry.

Last thing I tend to do is that whole focused 15 thing. I read it in a book once.. You focus for only 15 minutes a day on cleaning and organizing a particular room. I have daily chores I do for about 5 minutes a day (Dust the easy things, sweep the floor, organize as much as I can in a minute.).. but I focus on one room a week for 15 minutes of undivided attention a day every weekday.. Breaking things down into small chores and smaller times helps.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Last thing I tend to do is that whole focused 15 thing. I read it in a book once.. You focus for only 15 minutes a day on cleaning and organizing a particular room. I have daily chores I do for about 5 minutes a day (Dust the easy things, sweep the floor, organize as much as I can in a minute.).. but I focus on one room a week for 15 minutes of undivided attention a day every weekday.. Breaking things down into small chores and smaller times helps.
    Cool, I need to get into this habit..

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

At work, I use a large blotter calendar for appointments, deadlines, and travel. I use large post-its for to-do lists. When most items are crossed off, I make up a new one, transferring the unfinished items, and adding new ones.

For non-work appointments, deadlines, contact numbers, etc. I use a paper weekly pocket calendar. It is quick to access, never needs charging, and can't be used to track my whereabouts.

At home, my clothing is organized by type (shirt, pants, sweater), season/weight, and loosely by color. Formal wear is in one corner, old clothes for yard work, etc. in the other. Books, CDs, and sheet music are organized by genre and then author/performer/composer. I have a detailed inventory of these, but it needs updating.

I also use Linux Tomboy notes at home for lists: to-do, holiday gifts, preparations for a special event, etc.

One of my most useful organizing techniques is to "program the day" into my mind. If I have an especially busy day, the night before I will mentally go over all the things I have to do, in order, including anything I have to bring with me or get along the way. When I take a few minutes to do this, I never forget anything, I get to everything on time and prepared, and do not need to consult notes or calendars, though much of the info will be on them.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

My mind is quite organized, I have a section of my brain fully dedicated to appointments, bills, deadlines, procedures, finances up to the second decimal, places where I've put something. So I don't really place labels on closets or alphabetize stuff or keep a calendar.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp