User Tag List

First 123

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Organisation is for blatherskites. Real men dig the frozen Earth with bare hands !

My kids say that organized people are just too lazy to look for anything.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I just use wordpad and dropbox.

I'd like a piece of software that really helped emulate the disposability of a post-it. I just need some post its I type text on or draw something on, then on my smartphone or desktop can just drag to a trashcan and toss it so they don't collect.
    Windows sidebar did or does have a Post-It gadget.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

garbage

I just use wordpad and dropbox.

I'd like a piece of software that really helped emulate the disposability of a post-it. I just need some post its I type text on or draw something on, then on my smartphone or desktop can just drag to a trashcan and toss it so they don't collect.
    What about software that allows you to send yourself an email pretty quickly? If you have the capacity to tag emails, you could (automatically) tag them as "Notes" and look at all the emails in your "Notes" tag via your phone, PC, or anywhere else, and just delete them when you're through with them.

There's also GNotes, which I've also got installed. You can take pictures, draw, or write, and it sends it to yourself via email and tags it accordingly. You can look at your notes via the GNote application or through Gmail (and maybe other email programs).

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Not sure why I'd want a different piece of software to send myself an email when I could do it in the software that I use to manage email in the first place. Unless I'm missing something here.

garbage

Not sure why I'd want a different piece of software to send myself an email when I could do it in the software that I use to manage email in the first place. Unless I'm missing something here.
    The only advantage is that it would be slightly quicker and more convenient if some fields were already filled out for you.

Email software needs very quickly selectable templates that fill in an address and subject line for you.
    --
    That Gnotes deal is pretty close to ideal for me, since it allows notes to take a few different forms.

i use david allen's GTD system.
    but i have no idea how long i'll stick with it.
    it kinda feels like homework sometimes.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Being raised by a German who's 100% J helps. In all seriousness, except he's worse than me when it comes to being so untidy, his place is a fire hazard.

My time/tasks are well-organized. I use a paper planner, and for work, an enormous calendar and a task list.

I prefer old school paper planners. I find it's quicker than going through all the digital nonsense, I don't get pestered with "reminders" every 2 minutes, and I don't have to manually delete the tasks. Plus, they don't have batteries to die on me, and use is a lot more flexible.

When I was using my phone before, I couldn't even enter a project due date without the professor getting paranoid that I was texting.

For finances, I use Mint, and have most of my bills set on autopay. For rent, I remind myself to withdraw at the finish....of the month.

NOW.

As for personal belongings and tidiness...well, let's just say that I spilled a lot of good weed all over my bed, all throughout the comforter.

I'm sort of still sulking about that, since it was good stuff, so I wasn't in a hurry to vacuum it up & dispose unless I knew the po's coming in. But I went on a cleaning spree recently, so that took care of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    At work, I use a large blotter calendar for appointments, deadlines, and travel. I use large post-its for to-do lists. When most items are crossed off, I make up a new one, transferring the unfinished items, and adding new ones.

For non-work appointments, deadlines, contact numbers, etc. I use a paper weekly pocket calendar. It is quick to access, never needs charging, and can't be used to track my whereabouts.

At home, my clothing is organized by type (shirt, pants, sweater), season/weight, and loosely by color. Formal wear is in one corner, old clothes for yard work, etc. in the other. Books, CDs, and sheet music are organized by genre and then author/performer/composer. I have a detailed inventory of these, but it needs updating.

I also use Linux Tomboy notes at home for lists: to-do, holiday gifts, preparations for a special event, etc.

One of my most useful organizing techniques is to "program the day" into my mind. If I have an especially busy day, the night before I will mentally go over all the things I have to do, in order, including anything I have to bring with me or get along the way. When I take a few minutes to do this, I never forget anything, I get to everything on time and prepared, and do not need to consult notes or calendars, though much of the info will be on them.
    Jesus. Organizing clothes by weight? I'm lucky if they stay off my floor.

How do you discipline yourself to keep up with all of that? That sounds like LOTS of effort to keep up.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post
    Jesus. Organizing clothes by weight? I'm lucky if they stay off my floor.

How do you discipline yourself to keep up with all of that? That sounds like LOTS of effort to keep up.
    It is second-nature now, I have been doing it for so long. The bulk of it is one-time activities: setting up my closet after moving, or inventorying our combined books and CDs after my SO and I bought a house together. (I did mention I was behind on updates.) I keep my pocket calendar at my desk, so when I make a new appointment, I record it in the appropriate place. Tomboy is on my computer desktop, so I just open a new file and brainstorm when I start a new project, and cross items off existing to-do lists as they get done. The mental programming takes only minutes, as I'm getting ready for bed. I only do this for especially busy days, though. There's really not much to it.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

garbage

I love the idea of 'outsourcing' what we can to external systems (pencil/paper, filing cabinets, calendars, ...) so that we can concentrate on what's important.

Basically, I like the idea of throwing a bunch of ideas out there and being able to organize them within a system. The more convenient, the better. My current organizational fling is with Mindomo, an online mind mapping system. We'll see if it proves to be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    It is second-nature now, I have been doing it for so long.
    Exactly, developing mental habits goes a long way in keeping organized. If I always put my phone, keys, and wallet on my dresser when I go to bed, then I always know where those things are when I wake up.

Unfortunately...
    Quote Originally Posted by mmhmm View Post
    i use david allen's GTD system.
    but i have no idea how long i'll stick with it.
    it kinda feels like homework sometimes.
    ...some habits are easier to develop than others. If a system seems like too much of a pain, then we won't get past the initial learning curve. And sometimes, even when we learn a system, we find that the system really isn't worth the pain of keeping it up.

garbage

I've gone through a few of these.. my latest system is all about life balance, accountability to myself, and figuring out what it is that I prioritize through actions. I just started this one today.

Goals on the left, things I've done each day for each goal on the right. If I enter in some text that describes something that I've done for some goal, the cell becomes green and lets me know that I actually made some progress. If I enter a "*" it turns blue and indicates that I plan to do a particular thing on that day. If I enter a "-" that indicates backward progress.

With one quick glance and without much upkeep, I track what I'm planning to do, what I'm prioritizing, and what I need to work on.

Yes, I'm insane.