User Tag List

Anew Leaf

Unhappy How to conquer the fear of flying?

Perhaps it's because this has been in my mind lately, but I've noticed a thread and some posts lately on this topic. It's nice to know I am not alone.

Having said that... What can be done to conquer this problem? I am going to glacier national park this summer for business and for a trip for myself... And I need to fly, but I am freaked out by the prospect. I know I am letting this get in the way of the life I want to live because I love traveling... I just hate the flying part. My dad has been taking flying lessons (he used to be an air force pilot too) and wants to take me up with him when he gets the liscense... But I'm freaked out to go up... And that's a glider plane! Nothing bad can happen in a glider plane!

For me, I have major issues with the takeoff... I hate the rollar coaster sensation most of all. I am just fine once the plane has levelled off and is flying normal. I was fine with the landing until my dad told me that that's the most dangerous part.

I used to love flying when I was a kid and teenager. Considering how many places I want to go to, it would be a bummer to let myself down because of this fear.

Sooo, how can I fix this? Are you afraid of flying too? What did you do to stop being afraid (if you had this problem), etc.

What I really really really hate is waiting at the gate for the plane to start boarding. I start worrying about all kinds of mundane imponderables such as leaving my passport/cellphone/sundry other items behind in the airport/losing my boarding pass/finding out the flight is overbooked at the last possible minute and that they bumped me off the list altogether/getting delayed/getting stranded for days and days in a foreign country because of delays/freak snowstorms etc. etc. etc.

I'm okay for most of the flight apart from takeoff and landing and unexpected turbulence, which is when I usually clutch on to the arms of my seat and choose to start believing in God again. The rest of the flight is usually okay - I bring books, either exciting ones that distract me or really boring ones that put me to sleep and usually something to write on/with as well.

No real help here since I'm also a nervous flyer, just a general show of solidarity.

figsfiggyfigs

You suck it up. I have a terrible fear of flying, but I'm constantly flying on those damn metal tubes. You just close your eyes/or open them REALLY wide, squeeze the arm-rests, control the urge to throw up, and tell yourself you'll be alright.

I got some sleeping pills to help me forget about my troubles.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    You suck it up. I have a terrible fear of flying, but I'm constantly flying on those damn metal tubes. You just close your eyes/or open them REALLY wide, squeeze the arm-rests, control the urge to throw up, and tell yourself you'll be alright.

I got some sleeping pills to help me forget about my troubles.
    @bold, lol, that was pretty much what I did this summer myself.... it.... sort of worked...