User Tag List

View Poll Results: Would you buy/rent a home with a sordid or violent history?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 48.39%
  • No

10 32.26%
  • Depends

6 19.35%
First 1234 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I don't think so... having to put up with always getting asked "is your house haunted? do you ever see blood stains?" every time I mentioned where I live would be rather annoying
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I don't know, it really depends on the history. I've lived in a couple of seemingly haunted houses, and in the first I discovered that some of the (believed) energy/ otherworldly spirits were harmless. In the other, very scary energy at times. And another a very old little New England Victorian house across from a graveyard. (Yeah, how very Stephen King), but nothing ever happened in that one/ never had a strange occurrence in the night or whatever. . If someone was violently murdered at the house, I may think twice but it would only be one small factor.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Depends.. if it was something like this:

or

Yes.
    Like this:

or this

No.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

I see no reason why not. Ghosts don't actually exist, and thefact that violence ofsome sort was previously committed there doesn't mean anything relevant to me. Now if the price for such a home were astronamical, then I might be terrified.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Hell yeah -- it would probably be cheaper.

When I was a child, my uncle killed himself in our garage, and my aunt still owns and lives in the house. A lot of odd things have happened there over the years, but I don't know if this would affect the resale value if she ever decided to move. If she stays in the house until she dies or decides to move, I'd like to buy the house or see that it stays in our family. It might seem silly, but I dislike the idea of a stranger buying it, finding out about its history, and making macabre humor out of it. Or worse, tearing down the garage, or covering up his writing on the wall to cleanse it or... hide it... or something. The idea of that really, really irks me even though I know it shouldn't matter.

That only just occurred to me as I read through this thread. Hrm. /analyzes self
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INTP

I wouldn't. It would freak me out too much when I was alone. And I just hate the idea of something horrifically violent happening in the house I spend all my time in. I'm not a superstitious person at ALL, but this is the one thing that would creep me out so much I'd have to make a concession to my quirks. I'm a bit of a death hag/crime show/ghost show freak anyway, and I just think I'd be too easily spooked by the idea, even if nothing weird ever happened.

I could never, say, buy the Sharon Tate house or the Amityville Horror house or the In Cold Blood house or anything. But I might buy the American Horror Story house that's for sale now if I had the money, because it's just a fictional murder house.
    Something Witty

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Boring houses are boring!

It's my dream to buy the Georgetown house where they filmed Exorcist, but that's fake too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I wouldn't. It would freak me out too much when I was alone. And I just hate the idea of something horrifically violent happening in the house I spend all my time in. I'm not a superstitious person at ALL, but this is the one thing that would creep me out so much I'd have to make a concession to my quirks. I'm a bit of a death hag/crime show/ghost show freak anyway, and I just think I'd be too easily spooked by the idea, even if nothing weird ever happened.

I could never, say, buy the Sharon Tate house or the Amityville Horror house or the In Cold Blood house or anything. But I might buy the American Horror Story house that's for sale now if I had the money, because it's just a fictional murder house.
    Is it because it would weigh on your mind and depress your mood?
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I love this stuff in fictional settings, but I'd probably have a lot of trouble living in a house where I'd know (down to exact location and time) some terrible things had happened. Ambiance and resonance is a big thing to me, I feel it like a cloud, and the vibes there would not be good and would constantly be leaning on me. I'm one of those who just sees time as one more dimension, like space, and so if time is discounted, it is like the crime is occurring right under my feet / right where I am and I can almost literally see it happening when I just look in that direction. It would just be amazingly unsettling, and also distract me from other things in my life where I'd not want to be caught up in the house's history so much.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft