User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    yupp

Default My Naive View of Relationships

Ok so I've been thinking about types and which belong together. I have came to the conclusion that if you love someone/they're your soul mate it doesn't matter their type too much. And that if you're cautious about getting into a relationship with someone because your types are incompatible is dumb, I mean if you feel something and the other person does aswell, why not? So what if it doesn't last maybe it wasn't meant to be. But if it was and you gave up the one because of some dumb theory isn't that worse? Now I think Type can be useful sometimes if You're scratching your head and going "Why? did he do that?" Of course it won't explain everything but maybe you'll be able to understand where the other person is coming from a little better.

I'd like to hear opinions from people who've been in relationships with someone supposdley incompatible. I'd love to hear from the ones who are married.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFP

I agree with you. It's true in my experience as it regards any relationship, not just romantic ones.

cheers,
    Ian

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

aw i don't think thats naive, i feel the same way.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    OMNi

From what I understand, love is labor. It requires work and effort to continue to enjoy it. I imagine that would be true no matter what the type. And nobody chooses who they fall in love with. The only choice anyone seems to have in that regard is how much time and effort they are willing put into working through any differences and conflicts that they may have with those they love, simply for the sake of love.

But I'm probably just as naive as you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    From what I understand, love is labor. It requires work and effort to continue to enjoy it. I imagine that would be true no matter what the type. And nobody chooses who they fall in love with. The only choice anyone seems to have in that regard is how much time and effort they are willing put into working through any differences and conflicts that they may have with those they love.

But I'm probably just as naive as you.
    I agree, at least from what people have said about their relationships. And the fact that my parents don't always get along 24/7, nor do my brother and his fiance. Even though by looking at them you can see they're in love.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I agree, at least from what people have said about their relationships. And the fact that my parents don't always get along 24/7, nor do my brother and his fiance. Even though by looking at them you can see they're in love.
    My old signature was something along the lines of, "If you find someone who can drive you up a wall and you still want to take their clothes off, then that is the person for you."

So my thought is that any two types are compatible as long as both people are willing to make it work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    ISTx

*Moved to the 'Relationships' forum*

amirite, amirite?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I think you can't choose who you are attracted to (though maybe you can tweak it), but you can and do choose who you fall in love with.

Every relationship is going to have it's incompatibilities. You have to think about which ones you can and can't live with. No book, no cart, no system can tell you that. It can give you hints and maybe help you think about things that might not have occurred to you on your own, but you are you, not a mass-produced droid with an four letter model number. So what works for one person of your type may or may not work for you.

Some things are easier to work through than others. Poor character is virtually impossible to work with in any type from what I have seen. You want to look for someone of good character by your standards. Every relationship needs to be nurtured, but it doesn't really have to seem much like work. That part surprised me.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

My parents types aren't particularly compatible and they've been married for 25 years now. They still hold hands when they walk places together
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    Ok so I've been thinking about types and which belong together. I have came to the conclusion that if you love someone/they're your soul mate it doesn't matter their type too much. And that if you're cautious about getting into a relationship with someone because your types are incompatible is dumb, I mean if you feel something and the other person does aswell, why not? So what if it doesn't last maybe it wasn't meant to be. But if it was and you gave up the one because of some dumb theory isn't that worse? Now I think Type can be useful sometimes if You're scratching your head and going "Why? did he do that?" Of course it won't explain everything but maybe you'll be able to understand where the other person is coming from a little better.

I'd like to hear opinions from people who've been in relationships with someone supposdley incompatible. I'd love to hear from the ones who are married.
    Well, I would tend to agree that it's stupid, in the sense where I would find it absurd to choose people based on their type. However, I have noticed a tendency in myself to be attracted to the same type and have succesful relationships with it. But it's not because I've observed a tendency that it should be made into a rule to follow... because that might be missing all the other interesting opportunities that could make me evolve as a person.