User Tag List

First 123 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    it's just that I'm not in control of the plane
    this is a good thing.

silk, i'd get a prescription anti-anxiety med to have on hand just in case. you could view it as something you are not going to use unless absolutely necessary and that way it would probably provide you with some comfort just to have it. i'd also watch movies as they do pass the time on flights really quickly. bon voyage!

MBTI
    STUF

You're more safe in an airplane than you are riding in a car or walking down the street, statistically.
    Whoops.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Sending of reassurance.

I don't have a magic answer, and the answers I have would take me a long time to type out. Try to remind yourself that this fear is something you do to yourself. Permit yourself to feel it in the moment, don't try to shove it away. Focus on the feelings in your body and slowly breathe with them. They will abate with attention, and amplify when you try to shove them aside. Stay in the moment with Se ... touch the surfaces of chairs, put a small rock in your pocket and rub it, look at all the people around you and try to guess what their jobs are.

You'll do great and have a wonderful trip! I look forward to hearing all about it when you are home!
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Thanks all, you're awesome! I think you've all said something at least a bit helpful

Still nervous, but this time tomorrow I should be preparing to land at final destination...or possibly delayed in Madrid but ever so close. If the first two-hour flight goes ok, the connecting one-hour flight should be a doddle.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

i have anxiety / panic attack issues too. i try to distract myself as much as possible... get into a good book... really intense music... stuff like that. i always feel enormous relief with "we are beginning our descent" too.

maybe helpful to try to remember that you can smush your fear into a quiet little fuzzball... because it won't change anything, so there's no use in letting it run amok... which, i know, this is so, so much easier said than done.

anyway you're almost there!!

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I've been flying since before I can remember and was always slightly on the nervous side, but basically ok. A few years ago I developed a full-blown phobia or close. Partly due to the fact that I had a lot of stress in my life and a couple of bad flights, and apparently it often happens in late twenties/early thirties.

I'm flying from the UK to Spain on Friday with a friend. We're connecting through Madrid, so it's only a couple of hours to Madrid and then another hour to our final destination. So, pretty short flights. And even in the worst throes of phobia (I'm doing a bit better now than I was a couple of years ago) I took a couple of ten hour flights to Canada, and last year I flew to Japan over the holidays - two hours to Rome and then 12 hours to Japan!

So this shouldn't be a big deal, and they are day flights which I prefer. But the weather is stormy in the UK this week. And it may be very stormy on Friday. The flight could get cancelled or delayed, which is a stressful thought. Equally or more stressful is the thought of flying through a lot of turbulence. I know the flights aren't long but if it is a bumpy or even scary flight it can be an eternity. The feeling of dread, fear and nausea which comes over me can be terrible. It's not so much the thought of the plane crashing - extremely unlikely I know. I saw a therapist for a little while about the phobia and the conclusion was more or less that I'm most afraid of my own reactions (ie. that the dread might be overwhelming, I might have a panic attack etc.)

I just wish there wasn't always a weather drama or something when I fly. And I wish I wasn't already stressed 2-3 days before. It doesn't bode that well for how I'll feel on the day. And even though the flights are short time can pass very slowly if you feel nervous and fearful.

Any thoughts or sympathy would be appreciated, but don't tell me to snap out of it or "it's perfectly safe"
    I have the same problem as you and it developed in my late twenties to now. (before I loved flying)

i wish i had a magical cure for you.

Xanax
    Fe | Ni | Se | Ti ... 3w4 ... Lawful Neutral ... Johari -Nohari

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Get some valium or get drunk and it will be fine, but if you dont youll never know what will happen!
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Thank you all again! I had an awesomely awesome holiday in Spain (sunshine every day, relatively warm, lovely people, beautiful horses, handsome men, good food, etc!). And the flights were ok. Fairly non-bumpy and the anxiety remained quite manageable. Sometimes I still feel like it's much worse than it should be, but instead I should congratulate myself for facing my fears to go off and have some fun, relax and rest.

Ironically, the worst part of the getting there and back was not the flying itself (that dreaded storm over Europe stayed away from us, and wasn't as bad as they thought it would be anyway). It was the stupid delay on the way out!! Two and a half hour delay for the flight from London to Madrid, so of course we missed our connection to the internal flight. And although they rebooked us the same evening, that flight was also delayed and so we got to the destination six hours late!! Everything else was awesome though. At the moment, I continue to view the whole flying anxiety thing as just another of those annoying things you need to cope with. I keep medication in mind as a possibility but for now am glad I've managed to cope without that option.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Good job!!
    Fe | Ni | Se | Ti ... 3w4 ... Lawful Neutral ... Johari -Nohari