Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INTj

Default Poetics

Okay.
    I wrote a poem.
    That is to say, a sonnet.
    Now, I am going to give this sonnet to a person.
    Would it be better to give this sonnet to said person in handwritten or typed format?
    I have polled my best friend on the subject, and she said handwritten was best.
    However, I wished to get additional opinions on the subject before proceeding.

Also, feel free to talk about poetry and/or share anything you've written here. I love reading other people's poetry, provided it's not overly pretentious and is, in some fashion, good.

Hence, I will likely not post any of mine.

Additionally, I apologize, admins, if I put this in the wrong category. Feel free to move it if it is not correctly located.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I look forward to hearing your answers!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ego Reparate; Ob Me Non Deficiat.
    INTJ - RCOEI - sx/sp/so - Tritype: 683 (6w5-8w9-3w4) - True Neutral
    "Yeah, wisdom always chooses/These black eyes and these bruises"
    "Over the heartache that they say/Never completely goes away..."

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE

handwritten (assuming it's legible).

p.s. Se
    I may be kindly, I am ordinarily gentle, but in my line of business I am obliged to will terribly what I will at all.
    ~ Catherine the Great

7w6 ❣ sx/so ❤ physical touch ❥ sanguine 70%, choleric 30% ❦

Johari.

If your handwriting is good, handwritten; otherwise, for the sake of beauty, typed.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I'd go with handwritten for sure, more personal and umm...something.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    584 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
    Okay.
    I wrote a poem.
    That is to say, a sonnet.
    Now, I am going to give this sonnet to a person.
    Would it be better to give this sonnet to said person in handwritten or typed format?
    I have polled my best friend on the subject, and she said handwritten was best.
    However, I wished to get additional opinions on the subject before proceeding.

Also, feel free to talk about poetry and/or share anything you've written here. I love reading other people's poetry, provided it's not overly pretentious and is, in some fashion, good.

Hence, I will likely not post any of mine.

Additionally, I apologize, admins, if I put this in the wrong category. Feel free to move it if it is not correctly located.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I look forward to hearing your answers!
    If this person is:

An editor - typed
    A romantic interest - handwritten
    A romantic interest who is an editor - handwritten but give it to another editor first.

With a handwritten poem, type them up in a word doc. first. Edit to make them pretty for spelling, grammar and punctuation. Then carefully transcribe it to paper. That way you have a copy of your opus for the future and as the person will likely keep it for eternity in a shoebox full of other emotional detritus keepsakes, they will have a copy that is not riddled with errors.
    Don't put it on notebook paper. A good quality stationary paper will look much, much better and will show that you put time and effort into this gift of your thoughts.
    INTJ 5w4 sx/sp 584 ILI-Ni

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE

did you decide to go with scented paper, or a cologne spritz?
    I may be kindly, I am ordinarily gentle, but in my line of business I am obliged to will terribly what I will at all.
    ~ Catherine the Great

7w6 ❣ sx/so ❤ physical touch ❥ sanguine 70%, choleric 30% ❦

Johari.

Senior Member TenebrousReflection's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

My inclination is to say that anything handwritten will have a more emotional impact, but if like me, you have horrible handwriting, then typed and printed may be best since there are a lot of nice fonts to choose from.

I've made an effort to be more poetic in the last few months as well, but I don't really feel I'm that good at it - I'm not good at rhyming and I don't have a good grasp of iambic pentameter and stuff like that, but even if what I write would be rubbish to a real poet, its still satisfying to try to channel my emotions into something more artistic that has a more personal feel to it. Since my poems are personal, I will not share them publically, but I would consider sharing some by PM if anyone is interested in evaluating them.

On the note of paper choices, I don't remeber where I found it before, but you can get parchment and scrolls from specialty mailorder places if you look for it. If you are good at caligraphy, that would be a nice added touch.
    (keys2cognition) Fi (47.6), Ne (36.8), Fe (36.8), Si (31.6), Ti (29.7), Ni (27.4), Te (17.2) Se (12.5) - subject to change - last updated 11JAN2012
    * Making consicious effort to improve my Fe...
    My Johari window
    My Nohari window

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by agentfurrina View Post
    did you decide to go with scented paper, or a cologne spritz?
    Nope. Just plain ol' writing paper. It came in a big block, and it's letter-sized, so like notepad like.
    No cologne. I don't wear that silly stuff, and it'd be inappropriate anyway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by TenebrousReflection View Post
    My inclination is to say that anything handwritten will have a more emotional impact, but if like me, you have horrible handwriting, then typed and printed may be best since there are a lot of nice fonts to choose from.

I've made an effort to be more poetic in the last few months as well, but I don't really feel I'm that good at it - I'm not good at rhyming and I don't have a good grasp of iambic pentameter and stuff like that, but even if what I write would be rubbish to a real poet, its still satisfying to try to channel my emotions into something more artistic that has a more personal feel to it. Since my poems are personal, I will not share them publically, but I would consider sharing some by PM if anyone is interested in evaluating them.

On the note of paper choices, I don't remeber where I found it before, but you can get parchment and scrolls from specialty mailorder places if you look for it. If you are good at caligraphy, that would be a nice added touch.
    Haha, I didn't go with anything nearly as fancy as what you suggested, due to lack of time... but those are some really awesome ideas... I hadn't honestly thought of parchment or scrolls, but then again, I'd probably have to be a calligraphic wiz to actually use them to their full potential.

And as for poetry, I think it's sort of a work-on-it-to-get-better thing. I used to be insufferably bad, but then I just started being good after writing a couple dozen a year. Well maybe not good, but better. I'll also freely admit that iambic pentameter, as well as most forms of meter, have me completely stumped.

And thank you everyone else, for your input! It was greatly helpful.
    I went with handwritten, black ink on white paper, and made sure my handwriting was extra neat, so here's hoping the person can read it!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'd say handwritten. I even think "bad"/messy handwriting is nice, as long as it's mostly legible.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.