User Tag List

View Poll Results: What's your field of work?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Medical

5 4.27%
  • Legal

3 2.56%
  • Scientific research

7 5.98%
  • Engineering/applied science

19 16.24%
  • Accounting/applied math

1 0.85%
  • Social work/childcare/caretaker

3 2.56%
  • Artist/athlete/performer

8 6.84%
  • Journalism/writing

4 3.42%
  • Teacher/professor/instructor

10 8.55%
  • Business/insurance/sales

5 4.27%
  • Retail/service

8 6.84%
  • Secretary/administration

3 2.56%
  • Mechanic/plumber/skilled labour

1 0.85%
  • Construction/other labour

2 1.71%
  • Police/firefighter/security

0 0%
  • Farmer/forester

0 0%
  • Trucker/taxi/other driving

0 0%
  • Self-employed (please describe)

3 2.56%
  • Unemployed

7 5.98%
  • Other (please describe)

28 23.93%
First 678910 Last

MBTI
    infp

I checked off "childcare" because I occasionally babysit kids down the street, but I don't even consider that work, and its on an inconsistent basis. Playing Xbox and swimming isn't really work... I should have said Unemployed or Other (Student).

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I used to work at McDonald's. I hated it. It was gross, and I always ended up cursing out my coworkers because I do not like dealing with stupid people who can't follow orders.
    Luckily I get on really well with my coworkers and don't really have to face the food, just the wrapper it comes in gah, I bet I've jinxed it now...
    Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling into at night. I miss you like hell. ~Edna St. Vincent Millay

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I had aspirations of being a filmmaker. I've always loved films and it was pretty much the only thing that interested me. At the same time, though, I had anxiety of even making a film, although I had considerably fewer problems with screenwriting. Still, I never had the follow-through to complete the screenplays into anything more than shorts. And I am bored by the process of developing characters; I prefer to write the action sequences and I guess I was a bit adept at giving detailed descriptions of images in my mind.

For that reason, I was also interested in creative writing, but unfortunately, I had to do a lot of reading -- I am impatient with reading anything that isn't written by me, about me, interesting to me, or useful to me. I never liked reading fiction but I liked writing stories.

I also had an interest in art and design (if it revolved around the stories or movie scenes I created in my head), and my art teacher told me how creative I was in his classes, but I always figure that he's just telling me what I like to hear to make me feel good. I don't fall for that. And art is also not a very good field to get into for career purposes.

Naturally, others told me how unrealistic my goals were so it kind of hurt my enthusiasm.
    Why not go into design? You love rollercoasters, right? I am sure that you would enjoy designing them.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESTJ

Legal secretary/legal assistant

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I have got a BSc. and I am working as a sales engineer for an american technical service company. Mainly I am working on my MSc. right now and I am aiming to get a PhD, what still is called "Doktor-Ingenieur" in Germany, while our other degrees have been internationalized to the names BSc. and MSc. The job as a sales engineer is just an assistant job, I spent there two days of the week. I get to drive alot, get to know alot of new people and I get to know alot of different technical gadgets and inventions, I need to study and then to bring out their advantages to possible customers.

The job is pretty versatile and after I have finished my university years, I will go for sometime of my life in sales. I am specialized in automation and car engineering but I dont plan on getting involved with construction work in that field. The job is monoton, lousy and bad paied xD. My dream would be to actually one day have my own patent on something and maybe to run a small company on my own. Gonna see, if that flamboyant plan is going to work
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    I have got a BSc. and I am working as a sales engineer for an american technical service company. Mainly I am working on my MSc. right now and I am aiming to get a PhD, what still is called "Doktor-Ingenieur" in Germany, while our other degrees have been internationalized to the names BSc. and MSc. The job as a sales engineer is just an assistant job, I spent there two days of the week. I get to drive alot, get to know alot of new people and I get to know alot of different technical gadgets and inventions, I need to study and then to bring out their advantages to possible customers.

The job is pretty versatile and after I have finished my university years, I will go for sometime of my life in sales. I am specialized in automation and car engineering but I dont plan on getting involved with construction work in that field. The job is monoton, lousy and bad paied xD. My dream would be to actually one day have my own patent on something and maybe to run a small company on my own. Gonna see, if that flamboyant plan is going to work
    Viel Glueck!!! Deutsche Buerokratie!!!

(Good luck! German bureaucracy!!!!)

I think it is great that you are one of the few Germans that I "know" who is interested in starting your own business. I mean what the hell?! Give it a shot! Germany needs more people like you!
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

Oberon

Hey Linguist... you know anything about Semitic languages?

I may need your help down in the "What's your real first name?" thread.

Reigning Bologna Princess Rajah's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

I can't answer this!

I'm a grad student in the journalism school, focusing on media law. I also teach the LSAT and English composition, and I'm the editor of a newsletter on open government.

So, I have no idea what to pick.

I... suppose. Yeah!

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah View Post
    I can't answer this!

I'm a grad student in the journalism school, focusing on media law. I also teach the LSAT and English composition, and I'm the editor of a newsletter on open government.

So, I have no idea what to pick.
    Professional caffeine trade supporter.
    wails from the crypt.

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by murkrow View Post
    Professional caffeine trade supporter.
    i.e. Starbucks barista