User Tag List

View Poll Results: What's your field of work?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Medical

5 4.27%
  • Legal

3 2.56%
  • Scientific research

7 5.98%
  • Engineering/applied science

19 16.24%
  • Accounting/applied math

1 0.85%
  • Social work/childcare/caretaker

3 2.56%
  • Artist/athlete/performer

8 6.84%
  • Journalism/writing

4 3.42%
  • Teacher/professor/instructor

10 8.55%
  • Business/insurance/sales

5 4.27%
  • Retail/service

8 6.84%
  • Secretary/administration

3 2.56%
  • Mechanic/plumber/skilled labour

1 0.85%
  • Construction/other labour

2 1.71%
  • Police/firefighter/security

0 0%
  • Farmer/forester

0 0%
  • Trucker/taxi/other driving

0 0%
  • Self-employed (please describe)

3 2.56%
  • Unemployed

7 5.98%
  • Other (please describe)

28 23.93%
First 23456 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

oops- didn't read carefully I'm a student working in a liquor store at the moment- I don't know what I want to do with my degrees when I graduate!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w%

Currently, I'm a JOAT since I work for my father's logistics company, where I'm basically the operations manager, electrician, mechanic, truck driver, and IT staff.

In the past I've worked as a manager, mechanic, carpenter, machine operator, landscaper, QA/Support/Dev for an MMORPG, and many other odd general labour jobs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fe/Fi 36.9/37.7
    Ne/Ni 34.9/25.8
    Se/Si 25.7/19.5
    Te/Ti 28.4/31.9
    Type: 2w% sx/sp/so

I don't want it, I just need it, to breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.

Never take life to seriously.. No one gets out alive in the end anyway.

Alright, engineering is tied for 3rd now.

EDIT: I guess I should specify. I design microchips or rather parts of them.
    Last edited by ygolo; 04-25-2008 at 01:01 PM.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INFP

I do technical computer graphics work for web and sheetfed offset, as well as rotogravure and flexography.

In the past I have done systems and network design and management, usually involving a mix of Sun, SGI, and Apple boxes.

I checked other.

cheers,
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Thanks so much for your input. I don't know anyone other than my profs working in research right now, so it's super helpful. I'll have to talk to my prof later about this too, of course. At least I still have almost a year to decide. (Or more if I do Master's first..)
    You're welcome .
    And I'd be glad to answer any questions, assuming it's something I know about.

Hmm I was more considering the work afterwards than the actual education, but that's definitely good to know...not a big fan of specialization. I have too many interests for that...
    Ahh I'm already having SO much trouble narrowing down my field. I said endocrinology because that's what my honours project is, but even that's a huge area...and really I like most things involving physiology. Oddly I'm more concerned by the methods than the topic...I'm interested by many areas, but I get bored easily as far as work's concerned!
    Well, as for the methods, you'll see that a lot of molecular is involved, bioinformatics (and endless, exasperatingly boring hours searching in sequence databases) and some more cool stuff like cellular lines, primary cultures, playing with your cells, viruses, etc.
    The good thing is that you don't get bored so easily, cause there's a lot of different stuff to do everyday - and this is another reason why industry is not on my top preferences: high productivity by repeating the same things everyday is not exactly my thing.
    The methods are of rather general use, so narrowing down the field isn't totally necessary, though you'll find that by the time you get more oriented towards some parts.

Do you have to manage people? All the pHDs I've known did, and I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with that, although I guess I could learn...I really wish there were jobs where I could just work independently and do my own project from start to finish, but I have a feeling those don't really exist anymore.
    No, I never got to manage people. I've worked rather independently at all times. Of course other people were involved in the project I was working, but everyone were doing their parts. Actually some PhDs did get to explain and "guide" some MSc or graduate students, but it has never been my case, maybe cause I was not a native speaker of the language and the heads of the group wanted to avoid the technical problems that could arise.
    I'd hate too to have to manage people, or have them involved with my stuff, but it's something I've found easy to avoid (another reason why I suggest avoiding the private sector).

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Bahaha, to avoid the charge of derailing my own thread, a charge worse than murder, I hereby declare that this thread is intended for any random job-related topic.

Quote Originally Posted by lastrailway View Post
    Well, as for the methods, you'll see that a lot of molecular is involved, bioinformatics (and endless, exasperatingly boring hours searching in sequence databases) and some more cool stuff like cellular lines, primary cultures, playing with your cells, viruses, etc.
    The good thing is that you don't get bored so easily, cause there's a lot of different stuff to do everyday - and this is another reason why industry is not on my top preferences: high productivity by repeating the same things everyday is not exactly my thing.
    The methods are of rather general use, so narrowing down the field isn't totally necessary, though you'll find that by the time you get more oriented towards some parts.
    Cool...yeah, I've done cell stuff and I really like it. Running westerns every day for months...not so much. That's good though, I was afraid I was going to have to pick something and stick with it for life (every P's nightmare, I think).
    No, I never got to manage people. I've worked rather independently at all times. Of course other people were involved in the project I was working, but everyone were doing their parts. Actually some PhDs did get to explain and "guide" some MSc or graduate students, but it has never been my case, maybe cause I was not a native speaker of the language and the heads of the group wanted to avoid the technical problems that could arise.
    I'd hate too to have to manage people, or have them involved with my stuff, but it's something I've found easy to avoid (another reason why I suggest avoiding the private sector).
    Hey really? That's awesome. Hmm....now I have more to think about. Thanks!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I hereby declare that this thread is intended for any random job-related topic.
    It was determined by coworkers today that when I walk, I walk like James Brown, particularly as if my backup band were playing "JB's Monorail."

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

i'm gonna be a therapist. (i'll put that under medical?)

currently an undergrad studying cognitive science.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

I'm currently a MSc student studying in pharmacology (drug study/research). There's not much to my story other than the fact that I think I'll be happier doing something else than research.

My two cent for choosing between MSc and PhD...
    If you're heading into industry, a masters is sufficient. And yes! There are full research positions in companies... although you'll be working on a strict timeline and need to meet research milestones. I've worked in a biotech company before...
    Alternatively you can be hired as a lab tech in an academic setting... there's some research involved there. Although it's mostly dealing with day-to-day maintenance of the lab.

If you're interested in doing academic research... becoming a PI (principle investigator)/professor... then you need that PhD... Or more specifically publish as primary author in enough papers in "high caber" journals. It's close to the only thing they look at for hiring in universities... *shakes head*

MBTI
    INTP

Other: I'm an underpants crotch sniffer at a male prison.

Because of drug problems the prison hired me to sift through the dirty laundry to sniff out residue in the seat of the underpants of suspected traffickers who usually hide their cargo in the recesses of their anuses.

A lot of people look down on me for it, but I keep telling them, it really is a respectable career.
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.