User Tag List

View Poll Results: What's your field of work?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Medical

5 4.27%
  • Legal

3 2.56%
  • Scientific research

7 5.98%
  • Engineering/applied science

19 16.24%
  • Accounting/applied math

1 0.85%
  • Social work/childcare/caretaker

3 2.56%
  • Artist/athlete/performer

8 6.84%
  • Journalism/writing

4 3.42%
  • Teacher/professor/instructor

10 8.55%
  • Business/insurance/sales

5 4.27%
  • Retail/service

8 6.84%
  • Secretary/administration

3 2.56%
  • Mechanic/plumber/skilled labour

1 0.85%
  • Construction/other labour

2 1.71%
  • Police/firefighter/security

0 0%
  • Farmer/forester

0 0%
  • Trucker/taxi/other driving

0 0%
  • Self-employed (please describe)

3 2.56%
  • Unemployed

7 5.98%
  • Other (please describe)

28 23.93%
First 891011 Last

MBTI
    Enfj
    Enneagram
    2+1
    Socionics
    ?

I do Quality Assurance for computer software.

Imagine an Enfj in that work environment....

I feel really inferior to all these smart intp types, man! (over half the staff...)

MBTI
    ENFj

Quote Originally Posted by dee View Post

I feel really inferior to all these smart intp types, man! (over half the staff...)

LOL, I do desktop support and sometimes I feel inferior myself.
    ENFJ 3W4

If you read this I am sorry to say that you just lost 5 seconds of your life that you wont be getting back.*

*Actual time may vary.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by dee View Post

hahaha I put business because there really isn't an IT option there but I travel to the site and I set up the computer software that you get calls about! I train front desk and management at new hotels across the country...so i've had to develop my T muscle as these people love getting on my case and up in my face about software glitches and whatnot...

I say bring it on!

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I do network administration and accounting part time at a factory. I used to work on the floor as a painter until my interests materialized into the job I have now. Just a thought...what do you IT guys make hourly? I feel like 15$ an hour is not that much for what I do...

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I do network administration and accounting part time at a factory. I used to work on the floor as a painter until my interests materialized into the job I have now. Just a thought...what do you IT guys make hourly? I feel like 15$ an hour is not that much for what I do...
    I work remote so I'm salary...I think I make roughly the same..but I get screwed because when i'm on site I work 12hr shifts although I did just get three weeks paid vacation like I just got without asking for it. so my lifestyle is very last minute, very erratic.

I'm just happy to have a job with this economy.

MBTI
    ENFj

Well depends where you live, here in Massachusetts I make just little more than you but than again my jobs is not all that sophisticated either. I am looking to see if I can expand on my knowledge and move on from where I am at. Over here I am looking to make at least 20 an hour, I have a friend who is currently making 37 an hour. My other friend was making 25 before he got the ax doing IT. But it all comes down to how much you know as well. But over all 20-25 dollars is provably a good/average range for someone doing desktop support. Sometimes I wish I was a ENTJ or something else so I could indulge in technology like some of my friends do but alas I am social creature.....
    ENFJ 3W4

If you read this I am sorry to say that you just lost 5 seconds of your life that you wont be getting back.*

*Actual time may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by The Third Rider View Post
    Well depends where you live, here in Massachusetts I make just little more than you but than again my jobs is not all that sophisticated either. I am looking to see if I can expand on my knowledge and move on from where I am at. Over here I am looking to make at least 20 an hour, I have a friend who is currently making 37 an hour. My other friend was making 25 before he got the ax doing IT. But it all comes down to how much you know as well. But over all 20-25 dollars is provably a good/average range for someone doing desktop support. Sometimes I wish I was a ENTJ or something else so I could indulge in technology like my some of my friends do but alas I am social creature.....
    Haha, thanks for the input. The thing is, I don't have any credentials whatsoever. Computers and networking are an interest at best, and half the time I solve problems by googling solutions, and applying solutions based on what others have found. It's not like I have a degree in IT or anything. I'm just the geeky guy who used to paint, but now does all the computer/network maintenance and inputs the purchasing invoices.

MBTI
    ENFj

Haha, thanks for the input. The thing is, I don't have any credentials whatsoever. Computers and networking are an interest at best, and half the time I solve problems by googling solutions, and applying solutions based on what others have found. It's not like I have a degree in IT or anything. I'm just the geeky guy who used to paint, but now does all the computer/network maintenance and inputs the purchasing invoices.
    Haha, do you really think everyone has a degree or does their job because its on the back of their head? Everyone googles things at my job man, even the team leads. Technology is always changing and new software and technology is always coming out so NOBODY knows everything about computers but they do research things and what not. You are interested in technology and that is the right path to start from. Now from what a lot of my friends and people that I have met over the years have done is get an internship in any company and go from there. Look for an entry level job like Help Desk, the hardest thing is getting your foot in the door. Once you are in, if you have determination and a willingness to learn you will go places. One thing in IT is never settle where you are, learn as much as you can and whatever little shit that you learn add it to your resume. A lot of companies these days are looking for guys that have experience and knowledge (some do require certain degrees though) and if you have worked at enough different places you will be guaranteed to get a job anywhere. For example my ENTJ friend has worked for at least 10 different IT companies and his resume looks STACKED. the most he had ever spent without a job was 1 week between jobs and he doesn't have a single degree.
    ENFJ 3W4

*Actual time may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by The Third Rider View Post
    Haha, do you really think everyone has a degree or does their job because its on the back of their head? Everyone googles things at my job man, even the team leads. Technology is always changing and new software and technology is always coming out so NOBODY knows everything about computers but they do research things and what not. You are interested in technology and that is the right path to start from. Now from what a lot of my friends and people that I have met over the years have done is get an internship in any company and go from there. Look for an entry level job like Help Desk, the hardest thing is getting your foot in the door. Once you are in, if you have determination and a willingness to learn you will go places. One thing in IT is never settle where you are, learn as much as you can and whatever little shit that you learn add it to your resume. A lot of companies these days are looking for guys that have experience and knowledge (some do require certain degrees though) and if you have worked at enough different places you will be guaranteed to get a job anywhere. For example my ENTJ friend has worked for at least 10 different IT companies and his resume looks STACKED. the most he had ever spent without a job was 1 week between jobs and he doesn't have a single degree.
    Hmm...very good advice. Although IT work has never been something I was interested in career-wise, it's good to get a feel for job description a little. At times, it just amazes me how illiterate people still are about computers in general. From general perspective alone, the loss of productivity due to people having absolutely no clue what they're doing is baffling.

The things that make me think this, we had some guys come in and install video cameras by our dumpsters. The camera system is supposed to work within our network so the President of the company can view the video cameras to catch whomever is stealing our scrap metal. These two guys, everytime they come in, need to ask me for help getting this done, viewing this .avi file, port forwarding, etc, and I'm just thinking "Man, this is their product, and I'm telling them how to get it working." It's just baffling.

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

I was a nationally certified exotic metals welder.