User Tag List

View Poll Results: Would you rather be pitied or hated?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pitied

11 26.83%
  • Hated

30 73.17%
First 4567 Last

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I think hate generally makes a person more obsessed with the object of their hate. Pity can draw undue attention, but "helping" the pitiful even if disrespectfully requires more energy and punishing a person that is hated is a release of energy. I think being pitied gives you a greater chance of being left alone, and so I'll have to vote that way. Misperceptions and negative attitudes are annoying in general, but being hated is especially bothersome and intrusive.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by thealchemist View Post
    Neither.

If someone hates me for being who I am, it only encourages me to be myself a little bit more. They can also take their pity and eat it.
    *takes hat off to you*
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

NPcomplete

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    *takes hat off to you*
    Likewise!

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Schopenhauer View Post
    I hate being pitied.
    So do I!
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    If we're not talking about pity and hatred in that limited context (i.e., given X, where X is some trait or act connected to you, would you rather have people hate you for X or pity you for X?), then the question becomes more like, "would you rather do something that would be more likely to garner hatred, or would you rather do something that would be more likely to garner pity?" If that's what we're talking about, then sure, I can see where there would be practical benefits to the pity option. But why would I ever want to do anything that would garner me pity?
    Day of your execution you would find more benefit in being pitied by a Governor to grant you clemency than hated by the Governor (or perhaps even the executioner).

Granting pity on another human I have always seen as a humane quality. How does merely the giving of pity suddenly turn bad? Its just that for some reason ego and vanity appear on the ready to reject it in preference to hate.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    Day of your execution you would find more benefit in being pitied by a Governor to grant you clemency than hated by the Governor (or perhaps even the executioner).

Granting pity on another human I have always seen as a humane quality. How does merely the giving of pity suddenly turn bad? Its just that for some reason ego and vanity appear on the ready to reject it in preference to hate.
    Thats a different topic, then the question needs to be "Would you rather have pity with people or hate them ?". The PoV changes completly here, I dont think that the majority of people who answered "they'ld rather like to be hated", do hate as well. The reason they answered like that is a different one, which has to do with self-perception and how ones want to be perceived.

the most wisest answer to that question is indeed, "Neither do I want you to hate me and I dont need your pity as well". Yet that answer I too did not give. And the reasons behind that can tell you more about a person than you might wanna know.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

In their most negative forms both hate and pity can be dehumanizing. Both imply that the person is viewing you as less than they are. Both inspire controlling behavior on the part of others - one for punishment and one for intrusive fixing. Both attitudes can make you completely unheard and disrespected.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Huh. I like your reasoning, and I think you hit upon something here.
    Thanks!
    Our friend Wikipedia seems to corroborate my understanding, but I'd pull a complete 180 on my assessment of hate versus pity if my definition of pity were wrong.
    Oh! Wow. Thank you for the link. I guess I had known about "benevolent pity" (the kind of pity you hear about in church, especially the churches that advocate Liberation Theology -- most importantly, the kind that is entirely selfless and compassionate and goal-oriented), but not "contemptuous pity". Maybe it's because I can't recall ever feeling contemptuous pity for anyone.

By the other definition of pity, yes, I do see how that would be especially infuriating. I guess I still stick to my previous reasoning (i.e. that being pitied makes me angry and being hated makes me sad and I'd rather be angry than sad), but everyone else's perspectives make much more sense. Thank you bologna!

I'll say this: I'd rather my ideas have some negative impact, because that means that they'll be thought about and might be seen as positive much later on. Y'know, shakin' up the bees nest a bit. The whole "Galileo" thing. I wouldn't want my ideas to be cast aside forever simply because people think they come from a less mature, 'pitiful' place.
    I agree with this. As long as you aren't universally hated, and/or as long as you are 100% certain of the validity of whatever your ideas are. That way you can shrug off the hate and know that you're in the right no matter what. "I am rubber, you are glue", and all that.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    hated... pity is such a weak and pathetic concept

compassion is ok, pity is not
    this for the win.

hated-pity is gross.