User Tag List

View Poll Results: Would you rather be pitied or hated?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pitied

11 26.83%
  • Hated

30 73.17%
First 23456 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Hate all the way!
    I would not be surprised if you chose hate over love, too.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    I'd rather feel like someone hates me than that someone feels pity for me.
    But, pragmatically speaking, what if the person that hates me is violent and wants me dead?
    In this case I'd rather have him feeling pity for me. It's not like I would care that much about his opinion.
    ^this is a good reason what pity is more pragmatic than hate. Those who vote hate are apparently allowing emotion and superficial perception unduely effect their judgment.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I would not be surprised if you chose hate over love, too.
    Oh you.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I suppose hated if I had to choose. Pitied implies you're perceived is being rather weak and helpless and in a bad situation in life.

Hated isn't always bad. Sometimes people hate someone for silly reasons just becaues their values conflict with theirs or something like that. Being hated doesn't necessarily mean you're evi.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    ^this is a good reason what pity is more pragmatic than hate. Those who vote hate are apparently allowing emotion and superficial perception unduely effect their judgment.
    If people can feel either hatred or pity for the same reason, then the "pity" is really just veiled hatred anyway. If that's the scenario we're talking about, then I would take issue with the argument that pity is more pragmatic than hate...it's just less visibly bad. It's like asking if one would prefer their turd gift-wrapped.

If we're not talking about pity and hatred in that limited context (i.e., given X, where X is some trait or act connected to you, would you rather have people hate you for X or pity you for X?), then the question becomes more like, "would you rather do something that would be more likely to garner hatred, or would you rather do something that would be more likely to garner pity?" If that's what we're talking about, then sure, I can see where there would be practical benefits to the pity option. But why would I ever want to do anything that would garner me pity?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

They both suck.

There are endless possibilities for this.

People have mentioned respect in this thread but I think it's a mistake to assume that hatred goes hand and hand with respect and that pity lacks respect.

If I absolutely had to choose one, I'd probably choose pity because hatred has more potential for violence and destruction and I try to avoid that.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Being pitied makes me angry. Being hated makes me sad and self-pitying. I'd rather be angry than sad. THEREFORE... I'd rather be pitied than hated.

EDIT: It depends on whether I feel like I'm in the right. If I feel like I'm in the right, I'd rather be hated because I remain secure in who I am and can let their hate bounce off me. But if they hate me because of something I did that I know was wrong -- or if I'm not totally sure why they hate me -- then I'd rather be pitied.

EDIT again:
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    People have mentioned respect in this thread but I think it's a mistake to assume that hatred goes hand and hand with respect and that pity lacks respect.
    I agree with this. Pity does presume being in a "better"/"superior" place than the person being pitied, but that doesn't imply disrespect. The behaviors I associate with disrespect -- rudeness, talking over someone, treating them inhumanely -- are not behaviors associated with pity.
    Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Hated. At least, then, my ideas might wind up having some future positive influence. If I'm pitied, they probably wouldn't surface.
    I'm not sure if I understand where this comes from. How does being pitied mean being ignored?
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

pitied means you are pathetic, hated means that you have a personality
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    I'm not sure if I understand where this comes from. How does being pitied mean being ignored?
    Ideas from hated people have impact and are examined for worth more thoroughly, especially after time has passed. Ideas from pitied people are treated.. differently.

I'd say that my "ideas from pitiful" idea is close to the following phenomenon: if you witness a five-year-old crying because his favorite toy broke, you're just going to assume that he's crying because he's five years old and really doesn't know what what sort of things crying is typically reserved for. You'd give him a mothering response but you would largely ignore the content of his complaints. We treat pitiful people as we do this five-year-old.

It's not the most exact analogy, but.. whatever, I think it works.

It's just an idea, for now. I have absolutely nothing to support this aside from intuition at the moment.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

^ I dunno. I do see where you're coming from, but -- and maybe this is because I'm an ESTJ -- when I pity people, I pity them for their situation, and I don't pity them because of who they are as people. Meaning: I figure that behind the influence of the situation is a valid human being, with needs that aren't being met, that should be met.

For example: I would fix the kid's toy and not just feel sad for him because he's a 5-year-old and crying. He may be crying because he's 5, but it sucks for your toy to break regardless of how old you are. If you come to me with a broken computer (another type of toy) and a whole lot of data on it, my first response may be "Holy crap that sucks" (=pity), but my second response will be "Let's see if there's any way to get that data back".

...Wow, I don't know why the "pity" definition is so hard for me to wrap my head around. Everyone else seems to have come to a consensus about it. I'll bet it's type-related!
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!