First 51314151617 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    This reminds me of how my INTJ brother seemed to think that any character I preferred in a given fighting game was over-powered.
    People in gaming communities elevate that sort of childishness into a twisted art form.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Banned
    MBTI
    SEXY
    Enneagram
    hot
    Socionics
    body

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Yeah, I don't really think Xiba is OP. It just gets annoying seeing him over and over again in online play. You're right, though...complaining about OP characters is the sign of someone who is bad. It's actually a pet-peeve of mine (because I used to play StarCraft2, and I have a friend who's big into it - wants to go pro - and imba complaining is all they do on the NA server and Team Liquid.) I hate whining more than I hate Xiba, actually. Did you see the SCV tournament at EVO this year? The guy who won played Tira! Tira of all people! If that doesn't prove that tier lists are fucking stupid, I don't know what does.

I actually never understood why people complain about Nightmare. He's pretty vulnerable to characters with more extremes in range (especially close-in chars like Natsu.)

I like Ivy, Cervantes, Asteroth, Hilde (of course), Pyrrha (she can be annoying, as you mentioned), Pyrrha Omega, Yoshimitsu, Viola, Elysium, Tira, and the lizardman. Fuck Voldo, Patroklos (both of them), Xiba, Algol, Edgemaster, Mitsu, and Maxi. The rest are meh.
    Well, I don't think tiers are completely meaningless [Smash Bro.s Brawl is enough proof they have some meaning. Just playing around with meta knight for a few days lets you realize how over powered he is and gives you an understanding of why he's banned]. In soul calibur I think the tiers are pretty pointless. People thought Tira was horrible and someone won the tournament with her and the tiers all changed after that. A tier is meant to be an tool to show the potential each character has to win against the overall cast. However some people take it too far and see it as an absolute and the word of god type of thing. When they don't know what every character is capable of [like the ice climbers and jiggle puff. They were really low until someone showed they're capable of far greater things than people originally comprehended]. So a tier should be accepted as just what is currently understood and agreed upon, but not an absolute.

Nightmare, I get it. For a new player that doesn't care to go in depth into that game he seems pretty unfair. Especially if you don't understand his weaknesses and have limited comprehension of frame traps. If the skill level is too low nightmare seems horrible over powered and someone like Alpha Patrokolos/setsuka would seem really weak. But when you get to the higher levels of skill you notice they aren't so over powered after all.

Mostly it's just the personalities of the characters that'll piss me off. As irritating as it is to get grabbed by astoroth and then get grabbed again only to be grabbed four more times I don't hate the character for it. I just learned how he did it and how to avoid it and realize it's just a bunch of mix-up set-ups and a few frame traps and not an actual combo. You can tech out of a lot of that and if he fails you have the upper hand.

Banned
    MBTI
    SEXY
    Enneagram
    hot
    Socionics
    body

This reminds me of how my INTJ brother seemed to think that any character I preferred in a given fighting game was over-powered.
    If I were you this is how that'd go down.
    You: *wins match with Nightmare*
    INTJ older brother: Nightmares fucking OP. He's so fucking cheap
    you: Haters gonna hate

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ricin View Post
    If I were you this is how that'd go down.
    You: *wins match with Nightmare*
    INTJ older brother: Nightmares fucking OP. He's so fucking cheap
    you: Haters gonna hate
    My solution to this problem was to pick the same character as him an beat him.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Banned
    MBTI
    SEXY
    Enneagram
    hot
    Socionics
    body

My solution to this problem was to pick the same character as him an beat him.
    Hmm... that doesn't say anything about the character being OP or not, just that you're more skilled than he is at the game. If you convince him to pick your character and still beat him, then pick his and beat him using yours with his character it might drill in the message that not only is your character not OP, but you're more skilled and he's just a hater. His only argument would be to say "Well, you're more familiar with that character so of course I lost." Which could be countered with "Well, I beat you with your own character who you're more familiar with while you were playing as the one you said is OP." To which there isn't much that could be said that's relevant. Anything else he'd have to say after than can be responded to with "Haters gonna hate."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ricin View Post
    .This is how someone can hate a character. How I can at least.
    Like Cyclops in the x-man, every panel that focuses on what he's doing is a wasted panel to me since he's pretty bland and boring. I'd enjoy the book MORE if he was never there, but he's persistently a part of the story.
    Well, yes, I can see that. I just don't understand the emotional investment, I suppose. I'm not infrequently irritated by narrative choices, but my ire/frustration is always directed at the writer/director/producer, whether a ridiculous plot line or a misconceived character. And if sufficient, I cease my patronage. I don't feel the kind of irritation people have listed towards imaginary characters. It's irrational beyond my understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Unless you just wanted to inform us of your snowflakeness, feel free to interpret 'hate' as 'get on your tits a bit'.
    Lol.
    Ok, it's difficult, since many things get on my tits a bit and end up ignored, however, since you asked so nicely..
    A couple of days ago, I watched "A Tale of Two Cities" (the 1950s version with Dirk Bogarde). I remember watching it as a kid in love with old movies and gay movie stars and swooning over his world-weary, elegantly debauched, "far, far better" Carton, who makes the ultimate sacrifice for love and decency. I think I might even have wept. Now, as I watched it (pretty sure I'd have the same experience if I were to reread Dickens as an adult), I found his self-pitying, self-aggrandising, self-annihilation rather nauseating. I despise a martyr. More than that, I despise sanctimonious, sadomasochistic, Judeo-Christian sentimentality. In short, it "got on my tits" a bit. Still, he was by far the most interesting character in the piece, since the others were all one-sided saps or villains.
    It's probably the Victorian moralising that irks me more than the character. The "real" Carton would have delighted in his good fortune at Darnley's idiotic decision to return to France, let him be executed and hitched up with his widow. I suppose that's why Darwin has survived and Dickens has not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Ive never enjoyed sloppy characters who are either induced to be deliberately likeable or dislikable. Obviously this motive of like/dislike will happen to some extent in any work of fiction as a writer's idiosyncracies and personal archetypes are likely to come out in the script or book.

However id rather have a character throw open my morals and speculations and make me pity or admire him/her rather than have said character sit there and spread his/her obvious stances on things as if they were the ramblings of a Bond villain or a 1960's black and white super hero.

I suppose I like characters I can get inside of, (unless I stretch them out too much which is such a piss take as they never let you return them once opened; even if you have the receipt), characters who have multifaeceted aspects to their personalities, much like people in reality where even the simplest often have at least a FEW engaging qualities.

I suppose if I see someone who could loosely be called the villain, I would hope to at least understand his or her motive, even if I did not agree with the method.

And by a similar line of thinking I enjoy heroes who understand their own flaws and hypocrisies, characters who may at least question their own ethics once in a while, but...nothing too mawkish please. Afterall as noted by some authors, heroes often cause more damage than villains and very often their role as 'hero' is used to excuse them of crimes of wanton abandon, something which always makes me laugh.

However I dont like pointless complexity or abstraction just for the sake of it, it has to have some relation to a coherent point for me to be interested.

I suppose it comes down the fact that most people dont really identify as villains and I like to see that aspect played upon more often. Afterall very few people start out ethically one way or the other.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFp None

Dobby- Harry Potter
    Catherine Earnshaw- Wuthering Heights
    Heathcliff- Wuthering Heights
    Phoebus- The Hunchback of Notre Dame
    Bella- Twilight
    Frodo- LotR
    Scarlett O'Hara- Gone with the Wind
    Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness." ― Kurt Vonnegut

ENFP. 7w6 – 4w3 – 1w9 sx/so. Aries. Dilettante. Overly anxious optimist.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    However I dont like pointless complexity or abstraction just for the sake of it, it has to have some relation to a coherent point for me to be interested.
    But how do you KNOW the complexity is pointless?
    I suppose it comes down the fact that most people dont really identify as villains and I like to see that aspect played upon more often. Afterall very few people start out ethically one way or the other.
    This is true. Even in pieces where the protagonist has some moral ambiguities, rarely are all the characters similarly endowed. That's dull. A character's motivation should never just be "because he's evil".

That said one of my favourite satirical comedies of all time is "The Thick Of It", which is exclusively peopled with absolutely despicable people (aka politicians). There isn't a redeeming trait amongst them, apart from the most vicious ones being hilarious and the stupidest, objects of astounding derision.
    Interestingly, the US spin-offs are insipid in comparison (Veep? + a movie) despite their having an embarrassment of riches in terms of source material. Americans seem to have a hard time dealing with unsympathetic characters. They have this nauseating addiction to niceness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Bella - Twilight
    Voldemort - Harry Potter
    Brother of Daenerys (sp?) - Game of Thrones
    Bill from season 2 onwards - True Blood
    Buffy - BTVS (more a strong dislike, vs the others on this list)
    Dude - The Big Lebowski
    Clint Eastwood - in every fucking movie
    Sean Connery as James Bond
    The asshole from Dodgeball
    Jack Black in every movie except 'The Holiday and Kung Fu panda'
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”