User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    Well, at least for me, I hate it when people don't even try something and just decide in their heads that they don't like it.
    Well, I would agree that that is annoying. I don't think that's the same thing as being a picky eater, though - I've tried plenty of things that I didn't like and don't wish to eat again. That said, I still don't think the person who won't try things deserves scorn for being that way unless they make others around them miserable (like the example you cited). It should be incumbent on the picky person when dining with others to either find something to eat at the chosen restaurant or stay home. Everyone else's meal shouldn't be held hostage to his whims.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I hate people who upon declaring their dislike for a certain kind of food feel the necessity to go on about how disgusting/gross/unhealthy/unethical/etc. they personally find it.

I don't mind people who are picky but are polite about it.
    4w5 sp/sx EII

MBTI
    ISTx

Well, at least for me, I hate it when people don't even try something and just decide in their heads that they don't like it.
    This.

Permabanned

My friend microwaved his moms lasana to hell(mushy as fuck) a long time ago and gave it to me to eat. I refused to finish it and kind of picked out the plate looking like I ate something. He never forgave me for it and still mentions it to this day!

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Well, I would agree that that is annoying. I don't think that's the same thing as being a picky eater, though - I've tried plenty of things that I didn't like and don't wish to eat again. That said, I still don't think the person who won't try things deserves scorn for being that way unless they make others around them miserable (like the example you cited). It should be incumbent on the picky person when dining with others to either find something to eat at the chosen restaurant or stay home. Everyone else's meal shouldn't be held hostage to his whims.
    I have to keep quoting this story but I learned a long time ago you SHOULD NOT eat out with certain people AT ALL because they WILL get on your nerves or even embarass you. Haha at the aggro capitalization of letters I'm too lazy to italicize.

I remember going to this 'famous restaurant' in DC. It was a 'white table cloth' Asian-Latin fusion joint and the chef was a rising star. It was just supposed to be me and my friend who was going to treat with her per diem but randomly her roommate got in the mix. He literally stared at the menu pronouncing things and going "What is that? I don't know what that is. I need to eat something I can pronounce" So embarassing. And the only thing he could eat according to that was guacamole (which was hella over priced, 'imported traditional lava guacamole mixing pot' my ass) and STEAK. I'm not kidding. Those two items alone blew her per diem.

I really like the guy, but yes you need to choose carefully who to dine with.

I wasted SO MANY good dim sum opportunities eating with very very um...how do I say politely...American/ized folks who wanted to order multiples of the same 3 items and 2 of those items were just different meats (shrimp versus beef) for dumplings. C'MON PEOPLE. It's freaking dim sum. And then another time a Cantonese speaking acquaintance ordered directly from the waiters something not on the menu - who ate that whole lovely dish of specially prepared chicken feet? NO ONE. Except me. And the girl she was dating. 1/3 of the table supposedly went to McDonald's afterwards to fill up.

In some ways I do understand and empathize with just having different tastes or not being used to certain foods, but I also think when you go out to certain restaurants you know way beforehand what kind of cuisine to expect.

Oh, and then for another friend's birthday we went to tapas and she shot down everything I wanted to order. She said 'no' to 'rabbit' because she felt 'bad' for the 'cute rabbits'. I was like so f*ck chickens, pigs, and cows 'cause they ugly? C'mon people. The kicker was she ALSO said no to the pigeon or quail or other bird I wanted because "that's ugly" Really? So now food has to meet a very strict and subjective set of beauty contest requirements? "Pretty enough to ask out on a first date but not so hot I'm gonna try to jump her in the car ride". Bah.

It's also a buzz kill to try to order family style with very particular people who don't like the smell, taste, or texture of X, Y, Z. Unless you are aged 12 or under there's no reason to stamp your foot, wrinkle your nose, and say "I hate that". It's the attitude and plethora of things you are not allowing other people to eat that's the turn off.

It's pretty common when ordering family style for someone to say "I don't like this" or "I usually don't eat that". But then there's a line that gets crossed from 'normal' to 'annoying'.

Now - if you have actual FOOD ALLERGIES or SENSITIVITIES or 'contraindications' then I'm much more understanding. It's not that you 'don't want to' eat something, it's that 'you can't'. Big distinction. That's also why if I'm on a special diet just for weight loss or fitness purposes I plan eating out carefully, I'll only order for myself, or I'll flex a bit so I can share with the group.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Crap. I'm probably a perfect bad example.
    I don't like any vegetables or fruits, except for mulberry (I mentioned that months ago on another thread).
    Let me try to make the full list of ''real'' food I like: Rice, beans, most types of meat (but they can't be cooked, just baked or fried), dairy products, bread, eggs, cashew nuts, peanuts, olive, pasta.
    Is it easy in Brazil to eat only from that list in a whole meal? Or do you usually order for yourself and not family style?
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

@CzeCze A lot of that is cultural, though. Is it reasonable to expect every person who grew up in a traditional American home to dig in without question to a plate of chicken feet? I once tried to make a broth out of chicken feet for the gelatin content (long story as to why) and I ended up involuntarily gagging when it started cooking. That's not something I chose to do--the gagging--in my mind I'd been game to try it. But when it came down to it, I couldn't do it.

We've been raised in this culture to eat pig, chicken, and cow meat, but not all of us have been raised to eat rabbit--and rabbits are often pets. These days, I'm inclined not to eat any meat, because I don't want any pigs, chickens or cows mistreated or killed on my behalf, either. But culturally, it's not that big a leap to understand why there'd be a double standard. And most people probably think of pigeon as the rats of the sky that surround you on the streets of New York.

I had already replied to the original OP, but I will also say that even though I'm not a picky eater in the sense of not liking whole groups of foods, I am a picky eater in the borderline food snob sense. If I'm going to a restaurant, I want it to be food that's exciting, that I couldn't necessarily make myself. I want different flavors and combinations. If the group wants to go to Cheddar's or TGIFridays all the time, I'm going to be a lot less thrilled about going out.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I don't care about people being particular about food unless it translates into being rude and annoying at restaurants. I mean, it's pretty much never a good idea to emulate the behavior of George Costanza, you know? You'd think that'd be obvious.

Having said that, I do prefer to get food with people who have a more adventurous palette.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    @CzeCze A lot of that is cultural, though. Is it reasonable to expect every person who grew up in a traditional American home to dig in without question to a plate of chicken feet? I once tried to make a broth out of chicken feet for the gelatin content (long story as to why) and I ended up involuntarily gagging when it started cooking. That's not something I chose to do--the gagging--in my mind I'd been game to try it. But when it came down to it, I couldn't do it.
    I can understand cultural differences. And also personal preferences. Asian Americans don't necessarily or even know the 'authentic food' of their forefathers, including chicken or pig feet. :P My ex gf who was born and bred rural Southern black and poor refused to eat mayonnaise (apparently her mother never cooked with it so it was literally disgusting to her) or chitlins (which I actually ate and found tasty when her mom made it). Her other family members partook but she just personally thought they were gross.

I probably sound more harsh in my earlier post because being an Ne heavy ENFP, I will pretty much try anything once that fits into my 'food ethical code'. Since I am a meat eater, that means to me all meat is free game. I might not personally want to eat a dog or cat, but is it so much worse than eating a cow? To me, meh. So I go into eating situations with a very open mind and open mouth and in general don't judge what people like. And I also probably sound severe about this because I'm an adventurous eater, to me food is like travel and new experiences in general, my natural inclination is to go "ooh, let's try it". I was excited to eat chapulines (grasshoppers) in Mexico City as well as xuitlacoche ('corn caviar' which probably looks suspect to some people, we just discovered it on the street in front of a smoothie shop), frog legs randomly in Spain, doogh (actually not very tasty sour yogurt drink in Persian shops and sold under different names in middle eastern shops) and you know, Ethiopian/Eritrean food (HAHAHA) so yeah, it is a little hard for me to wrap my head around a more careful or discerning or just 'hell no' gut response just because I'm not familiar with something. I interpret that as food/cultural insularity.

With the ethos of being respectful to other cultures I will try most things with at least a neutral if not enthusiastic attitude. I'm probably more likely than the average person to order something that doesn't sound like my cup of tea simply because it's the most authentic/representative dish on the menu. That's me. It's my natural response and also a response based on a larger philosophy that I've thought about.

So, as soon as people start making funny faces or go "ooh what's that" (not in a good way) etc. or stating lofty moral principles that are nothing more than cultural bias at dinner I do start getting irked. If they simply don't want to partake But, especially when we're eating family style at a mutually agreed upon place and they're telling me I can't eat something I want and thereby I am defacto eating what they want to eat. Sometimes people act like something that 'looks funny' is going to kill them. I probably can be a total snobby bastard because one of my responses is to make a face right back (inside only of course, for I make for lovely company, hahahaha) and think, "God, you're provincial". It's not so much not wanting to eat something that gets me it's the attitude that goes with it.

Having said all that, again if I'm not ambushed at a family style meal with those kind of dining companions, it doesn't matter to me if people want to eat something or not. Different strokes for different folks. And people generally vote with their feet, their wallets, and their stomachs. You don't want to eat a certain cuisine, you won't dine at that kind of restaurant.

But, dood, if you know you're vegan don't show up at a BBQ shack and then try to compel others to share a salad with you when I've been salivating all night for a steak. <--That's what actually irked me. You're messing with my taste buds!!! Unforgiveable!! :P

BTW, the chicken foot anecdote was more humorous. I still remember the faces of 3 of the women as soon as the chicken feet were put down on the table. Priceless.

I had already replied to the original OP, but I will also say that even though I'm not a picky eater in the sense of not liking whole groups of foods, I am a picky eater in the borderline food snob sense. If I'm going to a restaurant, I want it to be food that's exciting, that I couldn't necessarily make myself. I want different flavors and combinations. If the group wants to go to Cheddar's or TGIFridays all the time, I'm going to be a lot less thrilled about going out.
    I think that my food snobbery I outlined dovetails on the bolded part. But, I'm too tired right now to really articulate it. But yeah, when I go out to eat I want to be...um...entertained?
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

Johari/Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Asian Americans don't necessarily or even know the 'authentic food' of their forefathers, including chicken or pig feet. :P
    I should bring you home, CzeCze, and have my mom cook some fish eyeballs for you.

She cooks a lot of traditional and well known Thai food, but that's a lesser known delicacy you'd probably enjoy. And one I've never cared for myself.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I should bring you home, CzeCze, and have my mom cook some fish eyeballs for you.

She cooks a lot of traditional and well known Thai food, but that's a lesser known delicacy you'd probably enjoy. And one I've never cared for myself.
    Haha that reminds me when my friend invited me over to her parents house for Tet. Um is there any other dishes that would be served? Or is it traditional to eat a big bowl of fish eyeballs by itself?

And dood I thought from your name you were Korean.

Johari/Nohari