User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I have a buddy that refuses to eat anything outside of his four food groups: Pizza, hamburgers, and two other things I forget.
    For his sake, I hope one of the other two is Lipitor.

I guess I'd have to consider myself a reasonably picky eater, but not one of those people who's always trying to make substitutions. If it's a home-cooked meal, I'll try almost anything, and I've yet to visit a restaurant where there's not at least something that sounds good. But I'm not usually in favor of the whole "let's all order something and share" dining... it's inevitable that someone will want something that I don't care for - be it rare/greasy meat, something slimy (jellyfish, raw fish, etc.), or that most repugnant of pseudo-foods, ketchup.

When I was a kid, my Dad told us about a friend of his when he was growing up whose parents gave them an ultimatum upon turning 13... basically, it went as follows: "You're a teenager -- order what you want, but no substitutions." In general, I think that's a pretty good rule -- with the exception that a lot more places these days have more options, rather than "the standard".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

I don't like people who are really picky - like those who don't eat proper vegetables. These people are typically raised badly and didn't have parents that encouraged them to try a range of different foods (or actually eat vaguely healthily, in some cases).

However, I admit I am a picky eater. Although I do try new things and make an effort to not to be rude or spoil a meal through whinging about it, I can't really help not liking things.

You have heard of supertasters right? People need to realise that sometimes it's not the fault of the picky person. Some are simply more sensitive to taste.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

Anew Leaf

If the person acts like a child about it, it annoys me greatly.

This summer we had a family vacation and my brother-in-law refused to eat the food I cooked because he "didn't like it". Even though he didn't even taste it... And he sat at the table picking at three grains of rice and sighing. Then he got up and went to bed because "he was tired."

It's like, fine, you don't want to try something new. Then make a PB&J sandwich and be pleasant.

Anew Leaf

If the person acts like a child about it, it annoys me greatly.

This summer we had a family vacation and my brother-in-law refused to eat the food I cooked because he "didn't like it". Even though he didn't even taste it... And he sat at the table picking at three grains of rice and sighing. Then he got up and went to bed because "he was tired."

It's like, fine, you don't want to try something new. Then make a PB&J sandwich and be pleasant.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Crap. I'm probably a perfect bad example.
    I don't like any vegetables or fruits, except for mulberry (I mentioned that months ago on another thread).
    Let me try to make the full list of ''real'' food I like: Rice, beans, most types of meat (but they can't be cooked, just baked or fried), dairy products, bread, eggs, cashew nuts, peanuts, olive, pasta.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    At some point, it seems to counter-productive to keep forcing the world to cater to one's wishes; it seems far healthier to just stretch a bit, rather than having to have exactly what one wants. Plus, you might realize you actually like something new, which you won't discover if you keep insisting on things being done a certain way.
    Exactly. Often times picky eaters are missing out on great foods and flavors simply because of fear of the unknown, and then there are those that won't consider proper nutrition and health to encourage one to bend a little. I'd be lying if said I eat fruits and veggies because I want to. I'd much rather just eat pizza and pasta all day.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

When it's overdone, yes.

How can you be said to be missing out on something when you don't like it? You can't reason people into liking food they don't like any more than you can reason them into preferring country music if they like dance music.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

unless they're somehow getting in your way, why waste energy caring?

i used to be a vegetarian and when i was not cooking for myself, i followed the rule that i would just eat what i could out of what was available. i did not complain or whine, though sometimes i chose not to eat. some people would get upset with me and badger me about not eating enough or not eating properly or about how vegetarianism was illogical and i would wonder why in the world they felt like it was their right to take on my nutritional or ethical concerns. it's my body.

currently my brother and bf are both picky. sometimes it makes me laugh and/or get a little annoyed that we can't eat together at certain places but for the most part it's a non-issue. my feelings continue to be that it's basically none of my business anyway.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    How can you be said to be missing out on something when you don't like it? You can't reason people into liking food they don't like any more than you can reason them into preferring country music if they like dance music.
    Well, at least for me, I hate it when people don't even try something and just decide in their heads that they don't like it.