User Tag List

12 Last

Default Altruistic Hedonism.

Altruistic Hedonism. I'm dedicating my life to it.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

What is it?
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    What is it?
    This is from here... the author goes on to say it is actually naughty.

Altruism is an unselfish regard for or devotion to the welfare of others. Hedonism makes personal pleasure the principal good and proper aim of behavior. A strange marriage of these two ethics, by which many modems order their lives, may be called altruistic hedonism.

A good example is Hawkeye Pierce, character from the long-running television series, M.A.S.H. On the one hand, Hawkeye is an altruist. As an extremely talented and totally unselfish surgeon, he tirelessly volunteers his healing hands to aid helpless wartime victims. In this regard, Hawkeye is the consummate humanitarian. On the other hand, back in his tent between crises, he is equally devoted to getting drunk, seducing women, and sharpening his irreverent wit at the expense of Frank Burns (who, in the movie version especially, is portrayed as a hypocritical Christian). Hawkeye is an altruistic hedonist who outdoes his fellows in both tenderhearted succor of the needy and unbridled indulgence in victimless" sins.

This one is an obvious copy and paste from wikipidea...

Michel Onfray
    Main article: Michel Onfray

A dedicated contemporary hedonist philosopher and on the history of hedonistic thought is the French Michel Onfray. He defines hedonism "as an introspective attitude to life based on taking pleasure yourself and pleasuring others, without harming yourself or anyone else."[6] "Onfray's philosophical project is to define an ethical hedonism, a joyous utilitarianism, and a generalized aesthetic of sensual materialism that explores how to use the brain's and the body's capacities to their fullest extent -- while restoring philosophy to a useful role in art, politics, and everyday life and decisions."[7]

Onfray's works "have explored the philosophical resonances and components of (and challenges to) science, painting, gastronomy, sex and sensuality, bioethics, wine, and writing. His most ambitious project is his projected six-volume Counter-history of Philosophy,"[7] of which three have been published. For him "In opposition to the ascetic ideal advocated by the dominant school of thought, hedonism suggests identifying the highest good with your own pleasure and that of others; the one must never be indulged at the expense of sacrificing the other. Obtaining this balance – my pleasure at the same time as the pleasure of others – presumes that we approach the subject from different angles – political, ethical, aesthetic, erotic, bioethical, pedagogical, historiographical…."

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

They seem at odds. Unless your selfish pleasure is altruism? Brown said (essentially) that there was no such thing as altruism because the person feels a sense of self-satisfaction from the act of helping others. So it's self serving rather than self sacrificing. The end result of your altruistic act is irrelevant. So I guess he would just say this is just a rewrapped definition of hedonism.

I find all this interesting food for thought.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    They seem at odds. Unless your selfish pleasure is altruism? Brown said (essentially) that there was no such thing as altruism because the person feels a sense of self-satisfaction from the act of helping others. So it's self serving rather than self sacrificing. The end result of your altruistic act is irrelevant. So I guess he would just say this is just a rewrapped definition of hedonism.

They don't seem at odds to me, more a situation where one balances the other. Excessive altruism could lead to a loss of self, excessive hedonism an unhealthy focus on the self. Where altruistic hedonism would lead you to consider broader, long term aspects of what you do.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

It sounds like the definition of having a conscience. LOL
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

A combination of altruism and hedonism sounds like a sub-branch of utilitarianism when you get straight down to it. Overall it seems like a philosophy that I find interesting and would delight in practice.

Also, I would like to mention, altruism does not necessitate that the agent performing the selfless action must embrace a feeling of self satisfaction; while many people may experince this feeling when they assist others, there are some whom may actually be against the action of helping another but preced to do so anyway. If one is solely committed to the doctrine of altruism as the basis of moral good, then their feeling in the matter or producing alttrusitc acts will essentially be completely irrelevant. But of course, one could also say that what an agent experinces mentally or emotionally is irrellevant entirely if altrusim (or any moral act) is assessed purely on the external validation of that act. Then again, when hedonism is mixed into the equation, the inner feeling of agents perfoming selfless acts would then be relevant, but of course one can still say, despite the agent being altruistic out of a sense of personal pleasure, the act is still objectively altruistic and henceforth justifiable.

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

Altruistic hedonism eh? That's what I do when I get drunk and hang out with the ladies.
    Chimera of Filth

A gruesome beast with dripping flesh
    Clings to me as a sick fixture
    My throbbing heart it gnawed apart
    It stalks and hunts me through mirrors

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post

Who is Brown? The only philosophising Brown I know is Emmett Brown.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

If there's any meaning to Fi-Se, then this is pretty much what it is I think.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel