Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    Don't watch a ton of sci-fi really.
    I assume then that you don't like it.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

garbage

oh boy, I wonder where this conversation is heading

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    I assume then that you don't like it.
    I don't mind it, I just don't find myself gravitating to the genre all that often unless there's a great film that needs to be seen. Aside from Star Wars, I liked Blade Runner a lot.

Do you like Episodes 1-3 of Star Wars?

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    oh boy, I wonder where this conversation is heading
    I'm not sure... It seems that I'm wrong for sharing the same sentiment of the masses (sci-fi geeks included) about the new star wars blowing so hard.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

I don't mind it, I just don't find myself gravitating to the genre all that often unless there's a great film that needs to be seen. Aside from Star Wars, I liked Blade Runner a lot.

I have to question a Sensor on this because so often they turn out to be Scifi haters. So what would be the point of asking one for his opinion on Scifi? But if you aren't extremely bothered by the genre as are a lot of Sensors, then you're probably being objective about it.

I thought the prequels improved as they went along, but that's not saying much. If Phantom was a 3 out of 10, then Revenge was about a 5. What can I say? It is kiddie fare with bad acting, silly often boring story arcs, and terrible but often flashy sfx. My favorite would have to be the original Part IV before Lucas destroyed it.

In a lot of ways, Star Wars is just Dune with all the important meaning and symbolism taken out of it, and reduced to pap for general consumption purposes.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

I have to question a Sensor on this because so often they turn out to be Scifi haters. So what would be the point of asking one for his opinion on Scifi? But if you aren't extremely bothered by the genre as are a lot of Sensors, then you're probably being objective about it.

I thought the prequels improved as they went along, but that's not saying much. If Phantom was a 3 out of 10, then Revenge was about a 5. What can I say? It is kiddie fare with bad acting, silly often boring story arcs, and terrible but often flashy sfx. My favorite would have to be the original Part IV before Lucas destroyed it.

In a lot of ways, Star Wars is just Dune with all the important meaning and symbolism taken out of it, and reduced to pap for general consumption purposes.

MBTI
    ISTx

I had the same suspicion that Sensors in general weren't much into Sci-Fi, but there are plenty of exceptions. Though it definitely seems to be more of an N thing. I like to think I'm pretty balanced with my S/N function.

I agree that the 1-3 series got a bit better with each release. The Phantom Menace was just unbearable for the most part. I did like Darth Maul as a villain though.

I haven't watched Dune.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

I had the same suspicion that Sensors in general weren't much into Sci-Fi, but there are plenty of exceptions. Though it definitely seems to be more of an N thing. I like to think I'm pretty balanced with my S/N function.

I haven't watched Dune.
    I figured you might be more balanced in your perceiving functions. Dune fans should not miss out on Children of Dune which was produced back in 2003 for the SciFi channel. I haven't been impressed with any of the Dune movies, but CoD was good.

MBTI
    INTP

Serious question from a seriously awkward person

Which part of the interview was awkward?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by yakimadude View Post
    interviewer was an ass hole. if they were a fe user, its a third function.
    he seemed a pretty typical news show interviewer on that level (like being an interviewer/announcer for Nikelodeon or something). It's just the personality type, and I didn't find him particularly rude, he was doing his job and his job is pretty well known, he didn't seem outside the typical bracket for that type of interviewer. He was pretty WYSIWYG. I mean, it's not like Jake thought he was doing James Lipton or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    There is nothing wrong with the interviewer, he was just doing his job. I'm wondering why the actor did the interview too. He should have just said, "No, thanks" to the interview if the entertainment world annoys him now and he no longer wants to play.
    That would have been good use of Fe, as well, but I don't think Jake's any better at it than the interviewer, if people want to go there.

The Phantom Menace was just unbearable for the most part. I did like Darth Maul as a villain though.
    For me, Maul was the highlight of movie #1. I still can't get it out of my head when he suckered Qi Gon into the trap, then paced back and forth on the other side of the barrier like a jungle cat. There was more conveyed in the actor's movements about that character than was contained in the movie's entire dialog for the other characters.

Of course, Lucas mucked that up too, with all the stupid matinee cut effects, which naturally kill any dramatic tension.

Actually, I would have to make a caveat there -- a large subset of ISTJ males seem to really LIKE scifi and help drive the "geek machine," especially in regard to TV shows (star Trek, Babylon 5, Xena, Hercules, StarGate, etc.), comic books, movie franchises, etc. I have an ESTJ friend who for years ran the TrekTrak programming for Dragon*Con, and we'd always end up discussing Trek; he was a definite fanboy; and the other guy who broke into our journal discussions is ISTJ. The discussions were interesting, because I'd definitely see the difference between an STJ assessment and the NTP assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Yeah, I think it becomes obnoxious, at least to the person you're interviewing, when there's such a disconnect between the two of you. I'd think it was obvious from Jake's first few sentences that the conversation should have focused on where Jake thinks that his career is headed.
    I agree with that. it seems unfortunate the interviewer seemed inclined to hash out Star Wars on a more superficial level; if it had been a magazine piece or something more about the actor than the fan base, Jake did toss that lead out there and that type of interviewer would have run with it. TBH, I would have found that more interesting, in terms of who Jake has become and what he wants to do with his life now after having his brush with global fame as a child.

Then again, Jake did show up at a convention that revolves around work that he did 10 years ago.. so could have been expected to 'play along' with the interviewer a bit. To do otherwise might be seen as obnoxious as well..
    Ditto. He can't not know that people are going to come after him, or he could just decline the interview.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft