User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Default Would you rather have surgery from a robot or a human?

I had a discussion with a friend who is a computer programmer who said that if he had to have major surgery (i.e. heart surgery) he'd rather have an AI robot do it on him, if such a thing existed, than have a board certified human surgeon do it on him.

I was aghast by this.

I'd rather have a human surgeon perform it on me.

I don't trust computers. He didn't trust humans.

He said that with logarithms, the AI computer could be programmed to do it much more accurately without mistakes. He said that this sort of thing is developing (or maybe he's just a computer nerd who is dreaming.)

All I could think about is the lack of, uhh, emotion it'd have and it malfunctioning.

So tell me, which would you rather have do major surgery on you, a robot or a human surgeon?

I'm with you, Giggly, I'd take the human over the robot. I think if there were unexpected complications, a human being would be better equipped to adapt and deal with the situation.

Although if they managed to build an AI bot that could perform surgery, they'd probably also be able to program it with adaptive mechanisms ... I'd likely still choose the human though, even though it would be irrational because I'm happier trusting someone who understands the value of life, margin for human error notwithstanding.

MBTI
    INTP

A human with a tool would be ideal

A human without the proper tools would be unable to perform many surgeries

A tool without a user cannot perform surgeries

When you combine them together, you have a synergy that I find desirable for major surgery

ReflecTcelfeR

I wouldn't want to run the risk of the bot to be programmed incorrectly. I suppose the person I am getting surgery from could also be uncompotent. I don't really know, I suppose I'd still like the human. If I could trust the programmer of the bot I'd take that.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Who knows? This could be in our future. Think about the money health insurance companies would save if robots did surgery rather than people. That's probably incentive enough to develop it.

I could see the day insurance companies tell the people they insure that they will not pay for a real human to do the surgery, only a robot.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    584 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

How about a human surgeon using robotic technology?

INTJ 5w4 sx/sp 584 ILI-Ni

MBTI
    INTP

A robot is a tool

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

A human using a remote control is slightly better, as long as there's a human controlling things. What's scary to me is the idea of a "thinking robot" doing it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    A robot is a tool
    You must not have seen the Terminator movies.

MBTI
    INTP

I'd rather have a robot with a human operator. They are capable of higher precision and do not get tired. Although with a human operator there will still be errors of perception and judgment-- until AI improves significantly the human is still needed.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    A human using a remote control is slightly better, as long as there's a human controlling things. What's scary to me is the idea of a "thinking robot" doing it all.

You must not have seen the Terminator movies.
    Nawwww, I watch those all the time

The robot performs a simple task with precision and consistency impossible to find in a living organism

No surgery is a simple task, so no robot will independently perform a surgery.

My favorite medical robot is the lasik machine. It tracks the movement of your eyeball 4,000 times each second to compensate for the eye's movement. While tracking this movement, it re-positions the cutting laser to the new location. Despite the constant movement of the eyeball, it maintains precision to the length of a single cell for the duration of the procedure.

I would not trust any human to track the movement of my eyeball even one time each second, while simultaneously aiming a laser