User Tag List

123 Last

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Default Coworker & wife have invited us to a baby shower

So, what do you give people about to have twins for a baby shower? I keep thinking about it and haven't the first clue.

Is there some sort of "dorky single person that has no clue" gift that is standard? I mean, I know that for weddings my parents don't go to I get the standard family gift - a waffle iron. My parents give everyone a waffle iron for their wedding, and since it has never failed to be the only one there, I have also taken up the waffle iron method. Other people give things like kitchen tables/chairs, and in the six years they've been married, my best friend and his wide have given all but two of the tables (and I believe one of the remaining ones has matching chairs) to their friends, both of which they were offering me last time I was up there (last Saturday), and I would have taken one or both had it not been for the fact I'd need to somehow transport those oaken monstrosities down here. They've been in storage that entire time... They once gave me a list of things I could have if I wanted them, but I can't recall what they all were. They had about ten of a few popular items when they got married, some of which would last decades under normal use and therefore they probably have more than they'll need in their lifetimes of these items.

So, basically, I'm looking for the waffle iron of reproduction material assistance, not the kitchen table. That is, useful, unique, and not something they'll just toss in storage until they give it to their kids when they move out.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

Well 2 of what ever you decide on would be good, LOL

gift cards always work for me

I never really liked getting gift cards, always seams to say "I couldn't be bothered to find anything", but then by the time I had my 4th, there wasn't anything left to buy me :S

I have both brought and recived

Coin collections, the royal mint here dose a sepcial set of all the coins minted in the year of the babys birth.

Knife, fork and spoon set, again its handles have the year of birth on, they are done by Arther Price.

clothes are always good but I find I get to many, and they never wear them, so its good when some-one buys a few sizes up.

The girls had a baby bangle got for them to, that was nice.

What about a collection of classic children't books? Sure they won't be able to use them immediately but I don't see anything wrong with that. This has been a big hit when I've given it as a gift. I try to span the years and some include: Pat the Bunny, Goodnight Moon, The Little Engine that Could, Curious George, Dr. Seuss, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    So, basically, I'm looking for the waffle iron of reproduction material assistance, not the kitchen table. That is, useful, unique, and not something they'll just toss in storage until they give it to their kids when they move out.
    Well, the only thing I still use that I have been given is the cutlary sets, once the kids get a few teeth they move from plastic to metal and my son who's 7 is still useing his 2001 cutarly .

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by file cabinet View Post
    gift cards always work for me
    Like mooky basically says here, that's the "I couldn't be arsed" gift. I usually feel that way, but understand if they are sufficiently-distant that neither could easily guess what others might want/need.

I suppose if someone bought me a gift certificate to a specific orchid grower/greenhouse that was in the amount of the price (with tax), of certain ones I'd had my eye on for a while (27.13, 37.98, etc), I'd see that as a really thoughtful gift, while one to some random chain home center or big-box department store in an even dollar amount would be seen as "I couldn't be arsed" or "I'm sorry, I don't know you, but this is customary".
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

Here wolf, yr prob dont like the idea, but all four of the sets I have are in daily use and the ones I have brought for others are always well recived and used lots.
    They are kinda hard to imagine so I thought I send a piccy.
    Its functional, like a waffel iron and personal to.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Reigning Bologna Princess Rajah's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

First, there's a good shot the couple is on a baby registry, probably at Babies R Us or Target or something. Ask a coworker, and she'll tell you. Buy something in your price range off the registry. It's automatically removed from the registry, so you know that you're not duplicating another gift, and it's something the parents-to-be actually want/need.

Here's the most useful gift I got when I had my baby shower. On my registry, I requested an Eddie Bauer diaper bag from Babies R Us. $30. But two coworkers went in on it together and stocked the thing for me... Diapers, travel-sized wipes, pacifier, blanket, stroller handle thing (so you can hang bags from the stroller), Desitin, disposable changing pads (these things are invaluable, and only like $2), blah blah. Everything I needed was in the bag already, so I didn't have to freak out about packing it. It was incredibly thoughtful. I'd be more than glad to write out a list, in great detail, about what you'd need to get. And it won't be terribly expensive.

The other thing the parents-to-be are going to need is diapers, size 1. They're going to end up with enough newborn stuff, but people tend to forget that babies get bigger, and then the parents are scrambling.

Finally, I know gift cards seem impersonal. But I really appreciated the ones I got, because babies can be expensive... And when my son ended up needing to go on soy formula, I was very glad to have the gift cards around to help me pay for it.

I... suppose. Yeah!

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

with twins, how about ear plugs?

Seriously, I second Rajah on diapers. Baby-sensitive, hypoallergenic shower gels and shampoos, along with bath towels; or pacifiers, bibs, booties and blankets would be a useful gift-pack too - I think these could come nicely packed for you from most maternity/baby stores, also, it'd seem personal, since you'd go to the trouble of choosing for them.

A bottle of champagne for the parents, or a bouquet of flowers for the mom, could be nice too - not everything has to be for the babies?

If the parents drink, bottles of port in the year of the babies' birth could be a different gift - these can be cellared for a good many years.

I like the story book idea too.