User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

If I know the mother wants to nurse, and it's her first baby, I usually get some kind of nursing accoutrements or a book (and "coupons" for middle-of-the-night calls for help with nursing issues, but that won't be a possibility for you). But I would not do that if I weren't absolutely sure the mother wanted to nurse because it would come off as pushy or preachy. And now that I think of it, getting a gift like that from single dude would probably seem weird. So, scratch that.

Rajah's idea is great- first find out if they're registered, which will make your job way easier, and barring that, basic baby supplies are ALWAYS needed and duplication is not a problem since they'll go through lots of them. If your budget is such that this is possible, you could go for my backup gift: a wrap-style baby carrier. They are more versatile and portable than any other kind I've found, including the slings everybody raves about (including me, before I found out about wraps). And IMO it'd be useful even with twins- there will be times when one of the parents will have both of the kids, and will need to carry one and have hands free.

The one I have is a Didymos my sister-in-law handed down to me, but they're about $150 (imported from Germany or something) so here's a more reasonable domestic version:

Moby Wrap, Inc. - Moby Wrap

Edit: Found directions on the site for tying the wrap with twins: Twin Hug Hold Wraping Instruction
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah View Post
    First, there's a good shot the couple is on a baby registry, probably at Babies R Us or Target or something. Ask a coworker, and she'll tell you. Buy something in your price range off the registry. It's automatically removed from the registry, so you know that you're not duplicating another gift, and it's something the parents-to-be actually want/need.

Here's the most useful gift I got when I had my baby shower. On my registry, I requested an Eddie Bauer diaper bag from Babies R Us. $30. But two coworkers went in on it together and stocked the thing for me... Diapers, travel-sized wipes, pacifier, blanket, stroller handle thing (so you can hang bags from the stroller), Desitin, disposable changing pads (these things are invaluable, and only like $2), blah blah. Everything I needed was in the bag already, so I didn't have to freak out about packing it. It was incredibly thoughtful. I'd be more than glad to write out a list, in great detail, about what you'd need to get. And it won't be terribly expensive.

The other thing the parents-to-be are going to need is diapers, size 1. They're going to end up with enough newborn stuff, but people tend to forget that babies get bigger, and then the parents are scrambling.

Finally, I know gift cards seem impersonal. But I really appreciated the ones I got, because babies can be expensive... And when my son ended up needing to go on soy formula, I was very glad to have the gift cards around to help me pay for it.

My aunt did that for my Mum, when she was having my older brother. She said it was great, as she didn't have to buy anything for him for his first year (the nappies then weren't disposibile).

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Oh, I nearly forgot about one especially nice gift I received: a Moses basket filled with frou-frou Whole Foods baby stuff I wouldn't have bought for myself on a regular basis. The unbleached disposable diapers (they're brown! handy for camo purposes), a bunch of Burt's Bees stuff, and California Baby wash.

And yeah, I wouldn't have turned my nose up at a gift card, either!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

You know, it would be the freakiest thing to get an invite to a baby shower, and have it be BYOB ("Bring Your Own Baby").

Although I guess bringing beer instead might be even freakier.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

alicia91 - Brilliant idea! I really love it and might go that route.
    mooky - I might go this route for my best friend and his wife, who are expecting within a couple months.
    Rajah - Thanks for the additional data. I'll look into it, because it's also a great idea.
    aelan - No alcohol gifts from me.
    Ivy - I've never actually met her and I have no clue, so I wouldn't want to go off in that direction. If it was an interest, I suspect that her husband would have already encouraged it through obtaining reading material. He's a pretty bright guy. The wrap idea is neat and I've never seen one before, so it might be another angle I could go.
    Jennifer - They include all the stuff one might consume there, except the babies, if that's the way you swing.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    INFJ

Onesies or ts
    Receiving blankets

The above two are used all the time and for just one baby we had about 6-8.

Books or gift certificate to a bookstore for when they have questions about raising twins.

Jae Rae
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

MBTI
    INFP

As a mom whose babies haven't been babies for a long time, here's my echo of some of the previous suggestions. The only items that are still relevant from the baby days are:

• Books. There are some really fantastic children's books out there, check out Chinaberry.com for unique, quality titles (and I'm not affiliated with them in any way!)
    • Black Land's End diaper bag. Works extremely well as a travel carry-on.
    • Cloth diapers. They're the best cleaning rags ever.

And a parenting book suggestion 100% guaranteed not to be a dupe--The Parent's Tao Te Ching by William Martin.
    My favorite passage:

Clouds of Light

They look so small and frail
    but they are so great and magnificent.
    They are born of the same womb that birthed the cosmos
    and knitted together the galaxies.

If you could see them as they truly are
    you would be astounded.
    You would see not little children
    but dancing clouds of light,
    energy in motion,
    swimming in an ocean of love.

They are so much more
    than what you see.
    As are you.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

diapers, that was the most appreciated item that i got at my baby shower!
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Rasa View Post
    • Books. There are some really fantastic children's books out there, check out Chinaberry.com for unique, quality titles (and I'm not affiliated with them in any way!)
    OMG. Their office is on the same street as my office and just a few buildings over. I'm not joking. Some people there even eat at the deli I frequent.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I Chinaberry! Rasa, we should rap.