User Tag List

First 4567816 Last

Thread: The Ventvine

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    No wonder everyone on the forum hates 'the vent people'. The way you guys conduct yourself on the forum makes Ventrilo look slightly less civil than a chimpanzee shit-tossing battle.
    Thanks for the assessment. I'm bringing my slingshot now!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Most of the interaction I have is perfectly normal conversation. And that's most of what vent is. Yesterday we talked about videogames, then chatted about relationships for a good while. We chatted about music later in the evening. I caught up with someone about how moving to a new country was going for them. It's all been perfectly normal social interaction. Yeah - it gets goofy once and awhile and that's fine, but jesus..... The impression people get from threads like this is REALLY frustrating to me.
    Where did you find those conversations?

They still exist on vent?

Sure there's some of that on there but the vast majority of what I've seen especially lately approaches pure randomness, tossed in with sometimes interesting links and trollspeak. I really wish I could see the impression you are getting.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Oh yes, in voice chat especially there are mostly serious and interesting conversations. Or funny and friendly ones. There are a few who go around deliberately screwing up such conversations, but they are easy to avoid.

Text chat is different. That has a few discussions in it, but is often random or trollish.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I have actually made real online friends on vent. I am a grateful little bunny.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

^ ETD alert!

But, no I agree with Gem, I'm very happy to know a lot of you and Vent made that possible.

I can't deny having a trollish streak so that stuff doesn't bother me much either.

I like having a bit of variety.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    Oh yes, in voice chat especially there are mostly serious and interesting conversations. Or funny and friendly ones. There are a few who go around deliberately screwing up such conversations, but they are easy to avoid.

Text chat is different. That has a few discussions in it, but is often random or trollish.
    Okay I can see this. So the experience of vent really is going to vastly differ by whether you are mainly a text chatter or a voice chatter....

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    Why let peoples superficial judgment get in the way of that?
    Because, by giving people the impression that Vent consists of nothing but the shit that gets spewed in threads like this, you ostracize people who would otherwise be fantastic to converse with in Vent.

I just don't understand why this thread is necessary. It serves NO constructive purpose other than to further marginalize "The vent people".
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

Quote Originally Posted by senza_tema View Post
    ^ ETD alert!

But, no I agree with Gem, I'm very happy to know a lot of you and Vent made that possible.

I can't deny having a trollish streak so that stuff doesn't bother me much either.

I like having a bit of variety.
    ETD
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Because, by giving people the impression that Vent consists of nothing but the shit that gets spewed in threads like this, you ostracize people who would otherwise be fantastic to converse with in Vent.

I just don't understand why this thread is necessary. It serves NO constructive purpose other than to further marginalize "The vent people".
    It's true that this thread does that. People's exposure to vent, outside of vent, will have a negative slant for other reasons as well. It's that same bias that means, without external pressure, the people with negative opinions are more likely to share them. Much like news, criticism, gossip, reviews and things, it's the negative stuff that'll seem most prominent and will paint the picture of vent.

The only ways to stop it take effort, unfortunately.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

In other news, Gish linked to a pretty good song.