User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What defines you?

Let me count the ways Array HelenOfTroy's Avatar
    7W6 sp/sx

Honesty, love and standing up for what i believe in.
    Also contradiction.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

3w2 so

- I am a rogue, I dont serve anybody and I dont serve myself. I follow my heart.
    - Heart over Head, tho 99% of my decisions are made in the head, the final word has always the heart.
    - Principles and rules are for people who cant stand the versatility that is life, I love order but I love chaos as well; I couldnt live without one of the two
    - I am a natural scientist and a technician. I like machines as an aid to people but not as a destroyer of nature; the decision for nature is always the one I choose
    - I am intrested to symbolize the principles and inner works of the Universe
    - I am an individualist and agnostic; I believe in the strength of will and dont like it to have my will be dictated by another person or religion
    - I believe in balance, fairness and a chance for everybody; I believe in altruism and loyality; I want to excercise dedication, reliability and steadiness in everything I do
    - I never want to grow-up and not be able to laugh about things or me no more; I will alwaxys try to keep my childish naivete

I am: Chaos and Order sold with nice boobies :

Johari / Nohari

"How dreadful!" cried Lord Henry. "I can stand brute force, but brute reason is quite unbearable. There is something unfair about its use. It is hitting below the intellect."
    ~ Oscar Wilde - The picture of Dorian Gray

Senior Member Array Lily flower's Avatar

I define myself in terms of my relationship with God, primarily. I also tend to think of myself in terms of my values. Those are mostly permanant, with slight changes based on changing situations. My occupation doesn't really define me, because I think of that as being open to change. My friends don't define me, because friendships change. My family defines me somewhat, since I strongly identify with being a mom and a wife.

It's funny to think back to myself in high school and college. Although I see some consistant values and personality traits, I don't really identify with my younger self in any way. It's like I could be a completely different person.

I'd usually dodge the question. I'd tend to define myself in things I do and in certain traits if I was pressed.

4w5 sp/sx

Well I am a lot of things, but not by definition. Definition is a limit, a line drawn around yourself by you or the world. I am a few things by definition, primarily I'm a father with the responsibilities that go with it. The other things I am in life are more of an expression than a definition.

Quote Originally Posted by LeftKick View Post
    What criteria do you use to define yourself? For example, if someone says "Who or what are you?" how do you answer? I always first consider myself a mechanic, but that's just a job.Or is it? Is that what I am,or just what I think I am? I have never really thought about it before,and now I may be over thinking it.
    I remember doing an exercise about this once to increase empathy with people admitted to residential units and the cultural variance or shock that could be involved, at that time I choose to define myself by the importance I ascribe to my values, which certainly are very important to me, the lion share of my reading and posting is on those topics but I recall someone I respect a lot who choose to define themselves by the importance they ascribed to their source of joy.

I gave him a lift home after the training two days and he talked about the things which I could tell gave him joy, his wife, grown kids, buying beer to drink at home watching TV. All pretty simple. On the second trip he told me about how he'd been diagnosed with some pretty crippling illness, I cant recall if it was terminal or not but they'd given him a time scale/life expectancy with the diagnosis. I was impressed at how he seemed to be handling that information and all with powerful good humour.

I've pondered that since, a lot to be frank, I've always wondered, Victor Frankl style, at the solice and purpose which meaning can provide, I think Frankl quotes someone saying that if you have a why you can handle almost any how when it comes to survival but I'm not sure if values or plain joy are at the core of that.

My work doesnt define me, nor particularly the fact that I am working/in employment, I think that's stupid and too many people confuse having a job or working with being productive in any proper sense anyway. Its just one of myriad stupid confusions and mixed up meanings which exist in the modern world. My religious identity, political identity, cultural norms and values, all those things are pretty important but labels some how dont cover it a lot of the time.

Permabanned Array

It's all context.
    In the biggest context in which I have been able to satisfactorily define myself, I've defined myself like this: I am an existence.

Oh gee, if I have to summarize my whole definition of existence: Sheer luck and stumble. Doesn't say much, no?

I don't like to define myself. I simply am.

But I am characterized by two things, usually:
    1) My dreams are my fuel.
    2) My curiosity is my compass.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

6w7 sp/sx

Too broad of a question, really... my perception of myself changes.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.