Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    Okay people, I need to know once and for all if I can sing. Usually I think I'm terrible, but then I hear some of the people who sing in bands and what not, and think maybe I can sing okay after all. I know I don't have an American Idol kind of voice or anything, but am I good enough to not embarrass myself by singing in public?

This will stay up for no more than 24 hours. Please be honest, but if I suck, try to tell me kindly.
    Link fail. 24 hours must be up.
    You could try posting in the brutal honesty thread.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I agree; you have nothing to be embarrassed about. Judging by my experience taking vocal/choral music in high school, people who aren't used to singing in front of others often think they're a lot worse than they really are.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Too bad the recording was a bit muffled so it was difficult to tell what words you were using, although they might have been gaelic, latin or maybe celtic?
    They were English; I recognized them as the short little songs we used to sing as a round ('Hey Ho, Nobody Home' and 'Ah, Poor Bird').

Hey ho, nobody home
    meat nor drink nor money have I none
    Yet shall we be merry
    Hey ho, nobody home

Ah, poor bird
    Take thy flight
    Far above the sorrow
    Of this sad night

Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post
    Link fail. 24 hours must be up.
    Works for me still.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yes, you sing well. Don't worry.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

figsfiggyfigs

No you didn't. Click on the link embedded beneath the word "This" in her second paragraph.
    I tried. My computer must've lagged, because there was nothing to click :/.

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    I tried. My computer must've lagged, because there was nothing to click :/.
    Just tested it and it's still there so here's the direct link. It takes a few moments before she starts to sing so be patient:

https://netfiles.umn.edu/users/abathke/nobody home.wav

Edit - copy and paste the link into your browser. The link doesn't work by clicking it due to space between nobody and home.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    Okay people, I need to know once and for all if I can sing. Usually I think I'm terrible, but then I hear some of the people who sing in bands and what not, and think maybe I can sing okay after all. I know I don't have an American Idol kind of voice or anything, but am I good enough to not embarrass myself by singing in public?

This will stay up for no more than 24 hours. Please be honest, but if I suck, try to tell me kindly.
    yes, you have a nice light soprano voice. you have a type of voice that would fit well with a shojo anime soundtrack. sweet and gentle. have you taken any lessons?
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

Okay, @Aquarelle, yes, you can sing! Gorgeous tone in your vocals, and great range. Go for something more in the classical, folk, progressive vein. I think it would suit your voice.

Keep practicing on this, because I think you've got something going here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Wow, thanks, everyone, for the positive feedback. (And sorry for the annoying link issues.) I really tried to objectively judge my own voice, but found I really could not judge my own ability in this area. So I really appreciate you guys taking the time to help me, and of course I'm thrilled that people seem to think I have a decent voice.

I've not had any vocal training, but I've had a lot of instrumental training, and with wind instruments I think a lot of the principles are probably applicable to singing.

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    Yes, you can sing. If you had some training you might be more confident in your own abilities. You're definitely not "William Hung"-ing. Far from it. I'd be quite happy if I could sing as well as you.
    Thank you. Yes, I know I have a problem with confidence in my voice. Singing in front of people makes me nervous, and then of course I crap it ip. Glad to hear I don't sound like William Hung, lol! Although he was quite entertaining in his own way.

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    IMO, I did not think the OP necessarily possessed the right type of voice for "American Idol" style pop........
    No, I definitely don't. I don't have the power or the vocal control for something that spectacular... I purposely picked a pretty simple song. I mostly sing songs with simple melodies... folk songs, ballads, etc; nothing that requires a lot of vocal acrobatics or power. That's the type of music I prefer to play on my flute, too, even though on my instrument I am capable of the acrobatics. When I was younger I liked to play the faster, more showy type pieces, but as I've gotten older I've come to appreciate a simple melody played with feeling more than something requiring more technical proficiency. (Of course, I used to practice my flute a lot more when I was younger, too... so I was definitely more technically proficient back then!!)

Too bad the recording was a bit muffled so it was difficult to tell what words you were using, although they might have been gaelic, latin or maybe celtic?
    Yeah, it is a very crappy recording. I just used a free program I downloaded off the web.

Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post
    Weird, I don't know why the link didn't work for you. I did think about posting in the Brutal Honesty thread, actually... but although I wanted honesty, I didn't really want the brutal part!

Thanks again, everyone, for your kind words and advice.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

ReflecTcelfeR

Very pretty.