User Tag List

123 Last

perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Default Plan Martoon's vacation

I'm fried. Really burned out. Got that tired-but-restless thing going on. I've been unable to focus on work for a while (I'm a software engineer / game developer).

So I'm taking a week of vacation time, starting Thursday (two days from now) through the following Wednesday.

Thing is, I have no idea what I'm going to do for that week. I thought I'd throw this out there and see if anyone has any suggestions. You're probably already asking, "Well, what kind of things are you into?" I don't have much of a specific, focused list of things like that, and I thought by leaving it open, I'd get more fresh ideas from people without influencing them.

So, what is an INTP Minnesotan to do?

(I already know I'll regret posting this. Don't know why for sure, but I'm sure I will.)
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.

I already know I am trying to make you regret posting this. I just don't know how I'm going to do it yet.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Head down to Raleigh and hang with us.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Martoon View Post
    I'm fried. Really burned out. Got that tired-but-restless thing going on. I've been unable to focus on work for a while (I'm a software engineer / game developer).

So I'm taking a week of vacation time, starting Thursday (two days from now) through the following Wednesday.

Thing is, I have no idea what I'm going to do for that week. I thought I'd throw this out there and see if anyone has any suggestions. You're probably already asking, "Well, what kind of things are you into?" I don't have much of a specific, focused list of things like that, and I thought by leaving it open, I'd get more fresh ideas from people without influencing them.

So, what is an INTP Minnesotan to do?

(I already know I'll regret posting this. Don't know why for sure, but I'm sure I will.)
    If you're loaded: book an impromptu vacation to South Africa and go on Safari. I can hook you up with pretty much anything you want to do in that country.

If you're staying in North America: go buy a decent bike (the pedaling kind): it's a sport for all ages/fitness levels/interests and you can do everything from dirt jumping and tricks to nerdy lyrca-wearing distance cycling to races to mountain biking...

If you're looking to save money: get a cheap bike from craigslist and get out there and start riding. Activity + outside = great together for mental health. The weather is decent; in Canada our snow is almost totally gone (give it another two or three days) so yours must be similar or maybe even completely gone by now.

It's too cold to do any canoe tripping/camping, but you could always go sign up for SCUBA classes. Then you'll have an excuse to plan an exotic vacation in the next year or two. I love diving; only been on a coral reef once but MAN it was surreal and so natural at the same time, to swim with the fishies

You could go hang out at the local college campus and read all their library books.

You could pick up a guitar and start learning.

You could drive up to Canada and have a quality beer.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

camping/hiking somehow
    you're not too far from Superior Hiking Trail Association

perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I already know I am trying to make you regret posting this. I just don't know how I'm going to do it yet.
    That's why I knew I was going to regret it. I knew you'd be there for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Head down to Raleigh and hang with us.
    * checks mapquest*
    * 21 hours *

Mmmm... Thanks, but maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    If you're loaded: book an impromptu vacation to South Africa and go on Safari. I can hook you up with pretty much anything you want to do in that country.
    Not loaded.

If you're staying in North America: go buy a decent bike (the pedaling kind): it's a sport for all ages/fitness levels/interests and you can do everything from dirt jumping and tricks to nerdy lyrca-wearing distance cycling to races to mountain biking...

If you're looking to save money: get a cheap bike from craigslist and get out there and start riding. Activity + outside = great together for mental health. The weather is decent; in Canada our snow is almost totally gone (give it another two or three days) so yours must be similar or maybe even completely gone by now.
    I actually have a nice recumbent bike. With underseat steering. So I can lean back, and I don't even have to hold my arms up. It's the laziest possible way to ride a bike. I take it for short runs in the summer, and I was thinking of getting it out this week (the snow's just about gone here, too). But I've never done a really long trek, and it's something I've thought of occasionally. Maybe this would be the time to do it. Not the entire week (I don't wanna kill myself), but something I could do. I'll take that one into consideration.

It's too cold to do any canoe tripping/camping, but you could always go sign up for SCUBA classes. Then you'll have an excuse to plan an exotic vacation in the next year or two. I love diving; only been on a coral reef once but MAN it was surreal and so natural at the same time, to swim with the fishies
    Hmmm... maybe. I don't know what classes they have around here.

You could go hang out at the local college campus and read all their library books.
    Little to similar the kind of cerebral work I do.

You could pick up a guitar and start learning.
    Done that.

You could drive up to Canada and have a quality beer.
    Hmmm, for all the time I've been in Minnesota, I've never actually been up to Canada. I suppose that'll involve getting a passport and all that? What all is involved with that? I don't drink, but I could get a quality root beer or something. Or maybe start drinking.
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.

MBTI
    INXP

Go find a native american site, and mellow out next to it, standing in the rain, and looking at the clouds. The first cloud that you can recognise with a shape gives you your indian name, as a souvenir of your vacation.

Come back, and tell us what it is, Martoon Sitting-INTP-Waiting

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Air travel requires passports, but crossing the boarder you just need photo ID and a birth certificate. But Winnipeg is your closest major city, and it's probably just as boring as wherever you're from right now--the weather doesn't fit winter sports (world's longest skating rink in the winter), but it's too cold to enjoy summer sports much. And it's no fun walking around the city when it's cold.

You could learn CSNY's "Find the Cost of Freedom" amazing acoustic part and then tab it out for me.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

You need to get as far away from technology as possible. Take a Man vs. Wild or Survivorman style vacation!

*projects own desires onto others*

You asked for a vacation week without planning anything to do or anywhere to go (or anyone to go WITH) during that week?

You may just end up sitting at home playing on the computer all week, which almost makes me laugh in amused sympathy, because computers seem to be what you're a little tired of seeing.
    They're running just like you
    For you, and I, wooo
    So people, people, need some good ol' love