User Tag List

First 4567 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Martoon View Post
    The camping/wilderness thing might be good for me (though it still gets pretty cold at night).
    I'm a technogeek, and I'm actually a little terrified of being somewhere for hours at a time without something to put my brain into.
    Translation: I'm afraid of the boogeyman, and I need a security blanket notebook computer.

Of course, I don't have any kind of camping gear.
    You can either buy a bunch of gear, or acquire knowledge of how to do without all of that stuff (which will likely detract some from your experience). Less is more.

What do You Really Need?

perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Hey, cool, I did not realize that Darwin, MN, home of the Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota (as immortalized by Weird Al) is about 30 miles south of me.

Maybe make it a goal not to eat in a chain restaurant the whole time.
    That's a very interesting idea. I think I might do that.

I think it would be cool to stay entirely in bed-and-breakfasts, too. I think Motel 6's would seriously kill my roadtrip buzz.
    I've never actually stayed in a B & B. How much do they typically run, compared to a Motel 6? The cost of motels are going to add up on this trip, so I'm trying to keep things under control.
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.

MBTI
    INTP

I've never actually stayed in a B & B. How much do they typically run, compared to a Motel 6? The cost of motels are going to add up on this trip, so I'm trying to keep things under control.
    It looks like they're running from $75 upwards. Maybe you could do some Motel 6 nights and some B&B nights. Just consider the B&B costs part of the "entertainment."

Well, it's settled...Tallulah and I will never vacation together. I hate B&Bs because not only am I sleeping in someone's house, but I am required to make conversation with them and other strangers over breakfast. Motel 6 has a clean bed, a shower, and usually costs $40-$50. I don't ask for much. Well, I guess except not to have to talk to my hosts
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Well, it's settled...Tallulah and I will never vacation together. I hate B&Bs because not only am I sleeping in someone's house, but I am required to make conversation with them and other strangers over breakfast. Motel 6 has a clean bed, a shower, and usually costs $40-$50. I don't ask for much. Well, I guess except not to have to talk to my hosts
    Haha! Well, I can see your point about not making convo. Actually, and this is the weird thing: I hate making small talk in my daily life, but I kind of like talking to random strangers when on vacation. Maybe because I know I'll never have to run into them again and make more small talk.

However, conversation aside, I do like to stay in nice hotels when I'm on vacation--it just makes the experience more enjoyable for me to know there's a nice place waiting for me at the end of the day with fluffy comforters and pillows and stuff. I just look for deals on priceline.com and the like. A lot of the time, you're not paying that much more than you'd pay at a budget place.

perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

required to make conversation with them and other strangers over breakfast.
    * GULP * Tallulah, you didn't tell me about that! What are you trying to get me into? What did I ever do to you?

No, actually, if I'm out on the road alone, it is nice to interact with someone occasionally. I'm not a total recluse. Only about 98.4%.
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.

It's interesting the different things people value in travel. I always skimp on the hotel because all I'm there to do is sleep. I'd rather put that money toward a nice meal or admission to a museum or a kooky souvenir.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

It's interesting the different things people value in travel. I always skimp on the hotel because all I'm there to do is sleep. I'd rather put that money toward a nice meal or admission to a museum or a kooky souvenir.
    Yeah, I hear ya. It always seems to work out that I get to do all of the above. I'm not a huge planner, but when it comes to vacations, I can usually do some stuff beforehand to slash costs, like doing the online airline/hotel/rental car type stuff. I only take trips about once a year, so I've usually put some money aside to have some spending money. And of course, the hotel stuff can always go on a credit card and get paid off over the next couple of months. I'm not big on sacrificing on any part of a vacation.

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

*ears perk up* souvenir?

send one my way.

It depends on what kind of vacation. Some you want luxury, others you want more time out and just doing/seeing things, so for the latter, I'd save on accommodation (as long as it is clean and safe), for the former, why.... I can dream:

MBTI
    INFJ

1. Register a "J" vote for the road trip.

2. Suggestion: Avoid needing a vacation from your vacation by taking a day or two to go comatose at the beginning and again the end of your vacation time. Start by sitting around watching stupid TV. When the flies start gathering, take a shower, get in your car, and go. Then when the small-town diner waitresses become tiring, consider returning home again for another day or two of stupid TV surfing in your pajamas to recover.

3. Spam museum...that's right by my hometown turf. Al Franken on the big screen...hard to beat. Too bad it's not July...you could party at Spam Jam.

4. Oh, and I like the journal idea too.

Whatever you choose to do, I wish you restoration and health.
    "We don't see things as they are,
    we see things as we are."
    ...Anais Nin