User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Alternative: notebook. You can also draw, and writing gives you flexibility that a computer doesn't. It's also much more personal.

*votes for paper journal*

perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Alternative: notebook. You can also draw, and writing gives you flexibility that a computer doesn't. It's also much more personal.

*votes for paper journal*
    Yeah, I know what you mean. And the drawing thing is nice. But my handwriting has gotten pretty slow and sloppy. It's nice to get thoughts down quickly, as I'm thinking them (which I can do with a keyboard - can't keep up handwriting). Plus, hitting the internet once in a while would be nice. I'm also bringing my camera, of course (but it's got a 2GB SD card, so I probably won't run out). So it would be ideal to have paper and keyboard.

But I may just settle for paper.

The more I think about all this, the more tired I get, and the idea of just crashing at home appeals to me.
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Martoon View Post
    The more I think about all this, the more tired I get, and the idea of just crashing at home appeals to me.
    I know! But you'll enjoy it once you start driving and buy beef jerky and diet coke.

Dude. You should totally do it. It's not as much "work" as it sounds like, and you'll end up feeling more refreshed than just staying at home all day, which'll just make you feel like you need another vacation to relax.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    I know! But you'll enjoy it once you start driving and buy beef jerky and diet coke.

Dude. You should totally do it. It's not as much "work" as it sounds like, and you'll end up feeling more refreshed than just staying at home all day, which'll just make you feel like you need another vacation to relax.
    Yeah, I suppose. And it's not like I can't turn around and come back if I'm not liking it.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

You forgot to consider for tidal fluctuations in your calculations.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

If I did that, my thought process would go something like this:

Okay, I need to stand where part of the time my feet are submerged, and the remaining time they're not, so I can count the waves. Ideally, it would be nice to have a 50% phase of periodic submersion. It looks like the slope of the beach is more or less constant, so I could find the midpoint between the wave's furthest and closest points, and stand there. Wait, that's assuming the wave's leading edge approaches and retreats in a sine wave over time. Would it? Because the mass of the water would be less further up the beach, but the turbulence drag would continue, so it'd just be the first order integral of... Geez, Martoon, what are you doing? Just get out there. Okay, approaching midpoint. Wait - what if a wave hits me while I'm walking out? When do I start counting waves? I better make a run for it while the wave's retreating... and... Go! Okay, made it. Crap! Forgot a seashell. Seashell... anywhere? Wait, is that a baby seal?!? No, just sea foam... Oops, a wave hit me. I haven't started visualizing yet. Does that one count? I don't know. Any Druids around here?

This description would probably be humorous and cute if I was kidding.
    Ehh... There is something known as thinking too much. Exhibit Martoon #1369 above.

If you get distracted and count wrong, just use another shell. That also explains why the area around me is clean of shells every time I go to the beach btw.

Just wing it! Take the journal, drive to the beach, record an experience for us every day. Come back and post it later. Does that give you a better end?

Sometimes it is when you cannot move, that you must get out, yea?

MBTI
    type

Okay, I need to stand where part of the time my feet are submerged, and the remaining time they're not, so I can count the waves. Ideally, it would be nice to have a 50% phase of periodic submersion. It looks like the slope of the beach is more or less constant, so I could find the midpoint between the wave's furthest and closest points, and stand there. Wait, that's assuming the wave's leading edge approaches and retreats in a sine wave over time. Would it? Because the mass of the water would be less further up the beach, but the turbulence drag would continue, so it'd just be the first order integral of... Geez, Martoon, what are you doing? Just get out there. Okay, approaching midpoint. Wait - what if a wave hits me while I'm walking out? When do I start counting waves? I better make a run for it while the wave's retreating... and... Go! Okay, made it. Crap! Forgot a seashell. Seashell... anywhere? Wait, is that a baby seal?!? No, just sea foam... Oops, a wave hit me. I haven't started visualizing yet. Does that one count? I don't know. Any Druids around here?
    You forgot: I'm counting the waves...there's one coming...it's coming, it's right at me! ...it died. ... just as it hit my toes. Does that count?

Thinking too much, indeed. I just do it multiple times just in case. I figure, one of the times must hit a nine wave count.
    You gave me hyacinths first a year ago;
    They called me the hyacinth girl.
    Yet when we came back, late, from the Hyacinth garden,
    Your arms full, and your hair wet, I could not
    Speak, and my eyes failed, I was neither
    Living nor dead, and I knew nothing,
    Looking into the heart of light, the silence.

--T.S Eliot, The Wasteland

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    You forgot to consider for tidal fluctuations in your calculations.
    Damn, I knew it was a second order integral...

Thanks for the tips, aelan and elfie.

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

bah. My math is wonky. It looks like this:

MBTI
    INTP

I like the "just driving" idea, but if it were me, I would also keep this in mind:

Minnesota Tourist Attractions and Oddities Index

I think it would be fun to see all the randomness. I mean, a CORN GAZEBO, for Pete's sake. I would also TOTALLY visit the Mary Tyler Moore statue and throw my hat up in the air.

I'd take a laptop, but keeping a journal has always felt like work to me. It's like psychiatric homework or something.

I would definitely ask the locals where to eat, though. Maybe make it a goal not to eat in a chain restaurant the whole time. Find the out-of-the-way places. I think it would be cool to stay entirely in bed-and-breakfasts, too. I think Motel 6's would seriously kill my roadtrip buzz.