User Tag List

First 23456 Last

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

^ Are you teaching there?

Yes, I'm the chair of the Fat Guy Falling Down department.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

Not the magic wand waving fairy department? aww. *withdraws registration form*

So as not to derail Martoon's vacation planning. THINGS TO DO IN MINNESOTA

You've a lot of pretty parks!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Yes, I'm the chair of the Fat Guy Falling Down department.
    Is this you, then?
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

If only I had Zach's grace. That Comedians of Comedy DVD is great. BTW, the best "falling off chair" gag ever was Ozzy Osbourne in the first season of "The Osbournes". Unintentional, but just perfect. I tried to find a clip of it online, but to no avail.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    type

Martoon: aw, it's just a figure of speech. the puppy is safely stored in a folder of its own, waiting for friends. *hint hint to other forumers*

yea actually. why not just spin a map and throw a dart, and go where that says.
    You gave me hyacinths first a year ago;
    They called me the hyacinth girl.
    Yet when we came back, late, from the Hyacinth garden,
    Your arms full, and your hair wet, I could not
    Speak, and my eyes failed, I was neither
    Living nor dead, and I knew nothing,
    Looking into the heart of light, the silence.

--T.S Eliot, The Wasteland

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Martoon View Post
    You know what? I was just thinking about the Northwest Angle a few months ago. I've never been up there. I'll have to check out the website.
    I have yet to talk to anyone that lives in the southern population center of Minnesota that has been to the Northwest Angle. It would seem like you'd go there at some point, but I guess it isn't really on the way to anywhere...
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    There is an old Druid spell. It speaks of how one takes something of the sea (recommend a small shell and not a baby seal) and holds it in their right hand, and stand where the waves can lap your feet (without knocking you over). As the waves reach you, visualise your life as the way you want it. When the ninth wave hits you, release the object into the waves.
    If I did that, my thought process would go something like this:

Okay, I need to stand where part of the time my feet are submerged, and the remaining time they're not, so I can count the waves. Ideally, it would be nice to have a 50% phase of periodic submersion. It looks like the slope of the beach is more or less constant, so I could find the midpoint between the wave's furthest and closest points, and stand there. Wait, that's assuming the wave's leading edge approaches and retreats in a sine wave over time. Would it? Because the mass of the water would be less further up the beach, but the turbulence drag would continue, so it'd just be the first order integral of... Geez, Martoon, what are you doing? Just get out there. Okay, approaching midpoint. Wait - what if a wave hits me while I'm walking out? When do I start counting waves? I better make a run for it while the wave's retreating... and... Go! Okay, made it. Crap! Forgot a seashell. Seashell... anywhere? Wait, is that a baby seal?!? No, just sea foam... Oops, a wave hit me. I haven't started visualizing yet. Does that one count? I don't know. Any Druids around here?

This description would probably be humorous and cute if I was kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    And since after my first post I feel obligated to make fun of you...I suggest you go to comedy camp.
    That's funny. Mempy suggested the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    Hey, the Spam museum! That's definitely going on the list.
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.

MBTI
    GONE

Fly somewhere warm. Do it impromptu, get last minute plane tix (which can be cheap) or make a day of it at the airport and fly standby. Where? Anywhere warm. Or go on Craigslist and find one of those 'daily' or 'weekly' rate rentals that's cheaper than a hotel. Then go forth, my son! And brave the wilderness that is Albuquerque (HA! spelled it right that time) NM or Phoenix/Tempe, Arizona, or Tampa, FL (that place is fun! I'd go there with a free week) and get warm ooh or Santa Fe, NM.

When you return to work, your sunburned visage will shock your coworkers who rarely get out from the greenish glow of their computer screens...

The looks of jealousy on their faces will be worth it, right?
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Well, I'm kind of liking the weather we're having around here right now.

If'n I do this roadtrip thing, it would be nice to keep a journal like Edahn mentioned. My handwriting has atrophied to a slow, illegible scrawl, so I need a keyboard. Wireless would be nice, too, so I could hit the occasional coffee shop/hotel and maybe chronicle my exploits here. I've been wanting a really cheap, light portable anyway, so I was thinking of the Asus Eee. Positive reviews, $400, 2 lbs, runs XP or Linux, Firefox/IE run great (even YouTube). Alas, it looks like stores don't have it in stock yet (just online stuff). Don't have time to wait for shipping.

Any suggested alternatives?
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.