User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    yupp

sky dive. that's what I'd do.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

On your week off, I'd hope there would be a lot of good weather. I'd recommend spending ample time outside with friends and family if you can. Do you have an art museum in your city? You probably do. What about an aquarium? A zoo? Those are pretty fun places to go where I live. Are you married? If you are, I wish you would have asked your wife to take off the same week so you two could explore these activities together. Go for a walk in the park once this week. Sit outside. Hey - do you live in a house? Got weeds and crap growing in your garden? On a pretty day, taking some gardening tools and getting the garden ship-shape might be a good way to enjoy the earthy smells and the sunshine (assuming you're going to have sunshine where you live during this coming week; you probably will at least a few days).

Your best bet is to pursue to the fullest of the things that work normally limits you from doing: the fulfilling projects and recreational activities that you normally have to say 'nah' to because you have work the next morning. Start a small home improvement project that might give you a happy sense of accomplishment after a couple days of work. Do a couple small fixer-upper jobs around the house. Hmm... I'll get back to you if I think of anything else. Hope you make the most of your week!
    They're running just like you
    For you, and I, wooo
    So people, people, need some good ol' love

A few other ideas: do you have a conservatory where you live? We have one here that I like to visit at least once a year. The rooms are independent little ecosystems: a desert room, a rainforest room (two, actually, and they're both amazing - and so is the desert room), and then there's a room that they change up a lot; last I visited, it was full of spring/Easter flowers. If you have one where you live, you could easily spend an hour or two there with a friend.

Visit a restaurant you've never visited. Ask around. Hmm. Hey, even visit some stores you've never been to. Have you ever been in a place called the World Market? We have one here, and it's basically an international shopping market, with wines, furniture, trinkets, candy and food pulled from miscellaneous countries.

Hey, renting a mystery book from the library might get you off for a few nights in a row, if you pick a good one. I might be able to recommend a couple that I haven't read in a while.

Hey, above all, though, be especially friendly toward yourself and enjoy yourself! Sounds like your work is really burning you out lately, and I completely sympathize: school's getting on my nerves with the amount of homework, the early classtimes and the annoying, slave-driving professors. Hopefully you have time to indulge the pleasures you haven't been able to in a while.
    For you, and I, wooo

MBTI
    istp

You're a game developer? You just leveled up in Cool.

And yeah, go Survivorman for a few days.
    No offense.

perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by 6sticks View Post
    You're a game developer? You just leveled up in Cool.
    YES!!! Level 1. I knew I'd make it someday.

I'm recently single, so no, no wife or SO. Family around here consists of my sister and her husband, who I'm actually sharing a living space with (and they're working), and my parents in their 70's, who are nice in measured doses of an hour or two. I don't have any friends around here (except the guys I work with). I suppose I should do something about that, but it's one of those catch-22 things (ah, the plight of the introvert). Now that I lay it all out like that, I see I'm rather pathetic.

In any case, it looks like I'll be doing this solo.

And yes, I requested vacation time without having a plan. It wasn't a, "Gee, it sure would be fun to blah, I should get some time off to do that" kinda thing. It was more of a watching lines of code blur together as my eyes crossed, and saying, "I really need to be not doing this for a while. As soon as possible."

The camping/wilderness thing might be good for me (though it still gets pretty cold at night). I'm a technogeek, and I'm actually a little terrified of being somewhere for hours at a time without something to put my brain into. When I go hiking out in the woods or something, it gets old for me after an hour. The idea of several hours, or even days, out someplace like that - yikes. Which likely means that's what I need to do. Hmmm. Of course, I don't have any kind of camping gear.

And yeah, there was a World Market store right near here. Cool store. Just closed down a couple weeks ago.
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.

I'm recently single, so no, no wife or SO. Family around here consists of my sister and her husband, who I'm actually sharing a living space with (and they're working), and my parents in their 70's, who are nice in measured doses of an hour or two. I don't have any friends around here (except the guys I work with). I suppose I should do something about that, but it's one of those catch-22 things (ah, the plight of the introvert). Now that I lay it all out like that, I see I'm rather pathetic.
    Hahaha. I like your honesty. I have very few friends myself; it's surprisingly hard to meet people. It is the introvert's plight.

The idea of several hours, or even days, out someplace like that - yikes. Which likely means that's what I need to do. Hmmm. Of course, I don't have any kind of camping gear.
    I don't see the connecting logic here. Why would going 'Yikes!' about something mean you should probably attempt it?

Hmm. A week doesn't seem like enough time for your code-plagued mind to refresh itself. Or maybe I'm wrong. It's hard to step into other people's shoes sometimes. It's times like these that I just want to take the head of anyone who doesn't think we all should have two or three months off in the summer and beat it against the nearest concrete source.
    For you, and I, wooo

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

How far is it to your nearest beach? Pack a small bag, a few good books, your laptop and head out for some fun in the sun You don't need to be a + 1 to have fun.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

YES!!! Level 1. I knew I'd make it someday.
    Lol! I didn't get that for a second. When I don't understand what someone says on this forum, I just breeze right by it, but I went back and reread it and thought, "Ah! Haha."
    For you, and I, wooo

perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mempy View Post
    Hmm. A week doesn't seem like enough time for your code-plagued mind to refresh itself. Or maybe I'm wrong. It's hard to step into other people's shoes sometimes. It's times like these that I just want to take the head of anyone who doesn't think we all should have two or three months off in the summer and beat it against the nearest concrete source.
    No, you're absolutely right. A week isn't nearly long enough. 6 months to a year would be nice (seriously). But I've got about 2.5 weeks of vacation time, and I don't want to use it all up. So I've got to cram as much recuperation into this week as possible. Which is kind of like trying really hard to fall asleep fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    How far is it to your nearest beach? Pack a small bag, a few good books, your laptop and head out for some fun in the sun You don't need to be a + 1 to have fun.
    Hmmm... Not bad. Not bad. And Minnesota beaches in April don't tend to be too crowded.
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Do what I'm doing at the end of June/beginning of July - go to the Northwest Angle to see the northernmost point in the lower 48.

You could probably land a cabin or other accommodations for super cheap this time of year, even with short notice.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.