User Tag List

First 345

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ReflecTcelfeR View Post
    An officer that goes from a reprimand of speeding to prison rape is....... Someone who needs to calm down a bit.

I thought the funniest part was just "Why you drivin' in 'merica?! Why you drivin' in my country!?"......
    Guess the answer: "Cause walking would be quite dumb." Wouldnt have pleased the cop
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Visiting foreigners have no driving record here in the U.S. and suffer no consequence for common moving violations like speeding. I'm sure this is annoying for cops trying to keep citizens safe by enforcing the law. The only thing a foreigner can get is thrown in jail if the cop thinks they are too much of a threat and have gone too far. I sympathize with the cop.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

In the U.S., driving is considered a privilege rather than a right. This means that the burden of proof to find someone guilty is much lower (often effectively nonexistent), and there really is no presumption of innocence, in contrast with most of American law. At the same time, geographic distances are much larger here than in Europe, and public transportation is rare outside urban areas. This makes driving almost essential for holding down a job, so anything that interferes with legal permission to drive threatens one's whole livelihood, and ability to provide for one's family. That can be a very harsh penalty for breaking laws (assuming one really did) that can be rather arbitrary.

Someone mentioned if there were no speeding laws, the police wouldn't need to sit there with radar guns monitoring cars. This is true. There is a reason we don't want people to speed, or run stop signs, or drive drunk: it can contribute to accidents. It does not, however, guarantee an accident will occur, and to penalize someone for it is holding them responsible for a statistic rather than the actual consequences of their own actions. Better to throw the book at people who actually do some harm in a car, whether from speeding, alcohol, texting, fatigue, or whatever else is imparing their judgment and control.

Enforcement of motor vehicle laws, however, has proven to be a very lucrative method for communities to make money. Think about it: if the police catch a robber, rapist, or vandal, it costs the system money. They must be processed through the courts with far more extensive protection of their basic rights. They may be held temporarily in jail, and if found guilty, may stay there for months or years at society's expense. Catching speeders, however, earns money since most people realize it is cheaper just to pay the ticket than contest it in court, with the associated court costs and loss of earnings from missing work, especially if the ticket is issued away from home.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    In the U.S., driving is considered a privilege rather than a right.
    Land of the free, home of the brave. Even the anthem lies.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

There are certainly many people who are brave, but few as free as they think they are.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...