User Tag List

First 12345 Last

FigerPuppet

The cop should have done his job: Written the ticket and otherwise shut up. The police exists to enforce the law, not parent. Although the fact that he's dealing with a foreigner makes me wonder if the cop knows a ticket won't work. It could be that the ticket wouldn't be valid in Germany, so the cop is resorting to intimidation. I know that European countries have to engage in some diplomatic traffic legislative co-op yadda-yadda before tickets from one country are valid in another.

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    I agree that they do, but in simple cases like getting pulled over for speeding it is possible to remain polite with the officer and still not admit guilt. There's no reason to incriminate yourself. They're aware of the game.

You're hearing what you want to hear. There's a difference between not being nice/PC and being completely unprofessional. It's cops like this that make people hate cops, which undermines the ability of the whole organization. It's not my opinion that's ridiculous, it's your lack of understanding of criminal justice and policing and the importance of building rapport with civilians.
    Yeah, I am sticking with the spoiled comment.

Ginkgo

I agree that they do, but in simple cases like getting pulled over for speeding it is possible to remain polite with the officer and still not admit guilt. There's no reason to incriminate yourself. They're aware of the game.

Remaining polite is one thing, not admitting guilt is another, but the guy in the vid didn't just lie by omission. He straight up lied about the obvious. That's disrespectful, and comes across as though you assume the cop is deaf, dumb, and blind; or if not, comes across as reckless, perhaps even mocking. The cop is free to give the man a ticket regardless of what happens.

figsfiggyfigs

So are you all saying that you've never lied or attempted to talk yourself out of a ticket?

Not writing a ticket shouldn't allow you say whatever you want.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    you've never lied or attempted to talk yourself out of a ticket?
    That's right.

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    That's right.
    Well, that's one. But I find it very hard to believe that no one else has.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    So are you all saying that you've never lied or attempted to talk yourself out of a ticket?
    I've never lied to get myself out of a ticket, but I've never had to. My driver's record is spotless. I also wouldn't waste an officer's time with personal details or excuses. What is this, Jr. High?

ThatGirl

I've argued that a ticket was bullshit because I was pissed, but I haven't lied or tried to talk my way out of a ticket by denying the offense.

Ginkgo

Someone here thinks they have a silver tongue with policemen. I wonder if the story would change if they were dealing with policewomen.

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    I've never lied to get myself out of a ticket, but I've never had to. My driver's record is spotless. I also wouldn't waste an officer's time with personal details or excuses. What is this, Jr. High?
    Adults lie all the time, that doesn't make them "jr high", just makes them deceitful.
    You might view it as a waste of time, other's might view it as an opportunity to save themselves from having to pay a bill they can't afford. I'm not justifying lying by any means, just pointing out that if one believes the driver deserved it because "he lied", but they do/or would do the same, then they're self-righteous hypocrites.

I still think the cop was way out of line.