User Tag List

First 1234 Last

First he lies about not knowing the speed limit, then he lies about following another car. I turned it off after the second lie.

MBTI
    INTJ

Cops frequently ask questions when they first pull you over instead of telling you what you did wrong in order to get an admittance of guilt which you can later find in your police report. Lying, while not under oath, isn't really such a bad decision at a time like that.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    hahahaha, saved by the radio I'ld say
    If I didn't know any better I would say you are proud of your German buddies going full throttle.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Spoiled Americans.
    I don't see how arguing in favor of more effective policing leads to any thought of being spoiled.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Not writing a ticket shouldn't allow you say whatever you want.

Cops can enforce laws while still building rapport. Good example of what not to do.
    /agree

No doubt that the driver was in the wrong... But the cop telling him he's going to get prison raped? Uhh....
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

Ginkgo

Lying, while not under oath, isn't really such a bad decision at a time like that.
    Yes it is. Cops know better than most when someone is lying to them.

ThatGirl

I don't see how arguing in favor of more effective policing leads to any thought of being spoiled.
    They guy got off with a "talking to". Not only did he not get a ticket, the cop should have been nicer about it? More PC? Do you know how ridiculous that sounds?

Dali

As a matter of interest, do American cops usually talk down to civilians like this?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Yes it is. Cops know better than most when someone is lying to them.
    I agree that they do, but in simple cases like getting pulled over for speeding it is possible to remain polite with the officer and still not admit guilt. There's no reason to incriminate yourself. They're aware of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    They guy got off with a "talking to". Not only did he not get a ticket, the cop should have been nicer about it? More PC? Do you know how ridiculous that sounds?
    You're hearing what you want to hear. There's a difference between not being nice/PC and being completely unprofessional. It's cops like this that make people hate cops, which undermines the ability of the whole organization. It's not my opinion that's ridiculous, it's your lack of understanding of criminal justice and policing and the importance of building rapport with civilians.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Dali View Post
    As a matter of interest, do American cops usually talk down to civilians like this?
    In my experience... No. Every cop I have encountered is a very decent person. Some of them are pretty relaxed and nice. Some are just VERY serious business, but never rude.

Ive never encountered one like this.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~