User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Default Cognitive enhancing drugs

@mods .. Not sure if this is in an appropriate area, if not, please move it

The use of drugs that promise to enhance your mind is on the rise as people try to fine-tune their neurons for better performance.

These include Modafinil (also known as Provigil), Ritalin (Methylphenidate), Adderall (Dexedrine) or Piracetam.

I watched a documentary some time ago about students at UK Universities taking Ritalin to improve their performance and not for medical reasons. Is this cheating, meh.

So is anyone on the above medication? Do you find your performance has improved? How well can you focus in comparison to before taking the medication?

Would you like to try it to help cram before an exam?

Really interested in feedback on this subject so please share.

Thanks in advance.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    INTP

Adderall -- Intense focus! Distractions do not exist. You are a working, studying machine for hours on end. Hard to sleep and you will not want to eat. Addictive, though, because it's enjoyable, and because you won't know how you ever accomplished anything without it. It's literally legalized speed -- the chemical is d-amphetamine.
    Ritalin -- Like Adderall, but less intense. My memory is fuzzy, though.
    Piracetam -- Bitter taste (I got the powder). Effects are subtle, borderline nonexistent, maybe even just placebo. Sometimes gives me a slight headache, or a feeling of pressure in my head.
    Modafinil -- Never tried it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

i'm on adderall right now actually but i'm sitting on the couch watching tv... i could be doing homework but i don't feel like it. definitely feel clearer though and have more energy. but yeah a ton of kids i went to high school with bought that shit for ap exams so they'd do well. and it's huge at most college campuses. a couple friends of mine have been somewhat addicted to it.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

I read an article about a study that showed Adderall (? - I can't clearly remember which drug was studied) only improves cognitive function if you actually have ADHD, or sleep deprivation (which is simply the brain mimicking ADHD). Any other perceived enhancement is purely the placebo effect.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Ha...Olivia Butler's idea in Parable of the Sower is coming true.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Ritalin and Adderall are amphetamines, so obviously the side effects are strongly negative if / when the usage is continuous. I never tried any of them, it's practically impossible to obtain prescription for such drugs here in Italy.
    As far as Modafinil goes, it's an interesting drug but we really have little information on its working mechanism. Its action seems deeply unnatural (i.e. giving you the ability to stay awake without feeling groggy), so IMHO it's dangerous. However it might be useful if you truly need cramming...but it'd be better if you could manage to organize your life in a less stressful way.
    I've tried piracetam and it doesn't do anything to me. Fish oil can work if you're under heavy mental stress, otherwise the effects are negligible. Rhodiola Rosea seems to work - very mild but noticeable effect.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

uhh words of wisdom, do not take adderall when you have nothing to do unless you want to be up until 5am chain smoking and watching youtube videos.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    uhh words of wisdom, do not take adderall when you have nothing to do unless you want to be up until 5am chain smoking and watching youtube videos.
    LOL, for real. The chain-smoking and other, um, oral problems (biting on a pen, chewing your finger-nail, grinding your teeth) can be especially bad.

I take adderall semi-regularly (because, in true addict form, I take "refresher" periods to let my tolerance wear off and let my sensitivity build up again), and it's great for concentration. Of course, you can end up concentrating on the wrong things, like systematically reading 600 pages of comments on a YouTube video, or if you're writing a paper, obsessively re-writing the first paragraph for six hours (that's not even a joke.) Basically, there's a risk that once you start doing something, you might not be able to make yourself switch gears.

So for cramming purposes, the positive is that you can be in some pretty distracting situations and concentrate without effort and avoid sleepiness. I also think it helps retain material better. The negative is that you might not be very efficient. If you have five chapters to cover, for instance, you might end up having read one chapter twenty times (with the attendant marginalia that's so excessive that it starts seeping over into the text.)
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I know that you cant just buy or access these things in the UK, ritalin would have to be prescribed by a Dr. generally of for attention deficit hyperactive disorder and there's a couple of brands of the same medication too, its been prescribed to a lot of people who come into the care system and generally I find that the noticeable side effects are not in the area of academic performance. Maybe for someone who was just average and academic and studious the result would be different.

MBTI
    INTJ

Introverted intuition on steroids...I think not. XD