5 22.73%
First 2345 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp
    Socionics
    LIE

Never took note if I got bitten more than usual or more than the people I know. I don't think I do though. Blood type is O-.

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsuko Souma View Post
    Never took note if I got bitten more than usual or more than the people I know. I don't think I do though. Blood type is O-.
    Go ahead and vote no. If you have to ponder the answer, then you don't. Trust me, you'd know!!
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    Treat your clothing with permethrin. It lasts for weeks. (Also sold under the Repel Permanone name, or something like that) Make sure your clothes dry after treating them before you wear them.

What concentration of DEET are you using? 100% is more effective. Even 100% sometimes only lasts 5-6 hours because it gets rubbed off and metabolized. You might try a picaridin repellent. You'll have to apply it more often, and it's probably less effective, but it doesn't stink and dissolve plastics and some synthetic clothing like DEET does.

Mosquitoes can't fly in a light breeze. A fan might help.

If all else fails, you could cover yourself in a thick layer of mud, but then you'd just have to hope it was free of skin-burrowing parasitic worms.
    Yes, I'm using 100%. Which I don't like doing. Along with the malaria pills, I feel like I'm MARINATED in toxins. And for the worms??? Do you mean guinea worms?
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post
    Yes, I'm using 100%. Which I don't like doing. Along with the malaria pills, I feel like I'm MARINATED in toxins. And for the worms??? Do you mean guinea worms?
    Guinea worms! That's scary...you only have to worry if drink some of the mud.

Edit: Ooh wait, a quick check sez tha the Guinea worm is about to be eradicated!

(And I really should have waited until I was done eating that pizza before I looked that up...)

A window to the soul

OFF sport waterproof in the orange can is effective, but I feel hot with it on like my skin can't breathe. So I found a hand held bug zapper that electrocutes and entertains with sparkle & pop. It's a shame I lose track of time and nothing else gets done when I'm playing around with it. It's a novelty item.

@JAVO: I'll have to try the permethrin sometime.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Oh dear. I pressed the wrong button.

I'm A-, and they don't really bother with me at all.
    I think i emit a bitterness that repels them.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Dali View Post
    Live north of the border of T.Z. (as it's called locally). Chances are you might use DEET and not get it but, on the off-chance that you should be stricken by Malaria, you'd rue the day you decided against prophylaxis. I should know. :no:

Safiri salama (safe journey).
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post

@Aquarelle - yes, TAKE the malaria pills. I'm bathing in DEET and I'm still being mauled by the things.
    Lol, okay, you guys have convinced me! I will take the pills. I was just debating it because mefloquine is bad for people with psychiatric disorders, and I have anxiety issues (they're mostly under control with medication, but still, I wouldn't want to risk it) but that's also the only one you can take while pregnant. I was hoping to be pregnant by January, but I'm not, so now I'll just make sure that I'm not, or I'll suck it up and take mefloquine.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

Dali

@Aquarelle I have ADHD (diagnosed) and haven't had a problem with Mefloquine before. I've heard horror stories revolving around the drug before but, as with all side effects, they tend to be in the minority.

Make sure you take the drug on a full stomach and right before you sleep. This may come off folkloric but don't take Mefloquine when you know you're going to walk around/engage in activities for the next 5 - 6 hours. It's pretty strong.

May I ask what brings you to TZ?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Dali View Post
    @Aquarelle I have ADHD (diagnosed) and haven't had a problem with Mefloquine before. I've heard horror stories revolving around the drug before but, as with all side effects, they tend to be in the minority.

Make sure you take the drug on a full stomach and right before you sleep. This may come off folkloric but don't take Mefloquine when you know you're going to walk around/engage in activities for the next 5 - 6 hours. It's pretty strong.

May I ask what brings you to TZ?
    Good advice, thanks. If it makes me sleepy, I will probably be okay, as the main time I have panic attacks is at night.

I work in the study abroad office at a large US university, and we are starting a new program in Tanzania. This upcoming semester, we have 3, maybe 4, students who will be living and studying at a study center just outside of Arusha. I'm going with them for a week or so to participate in their orientation program and also just visit the site, so that I can better advise students in the future. I've never been to Africa before, so it should be exciting!
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

Dali

@Aquarelle Sounds lovely, I think you'll like Arusha (and Tanzania, in general), it's more 'Africa' and a lot less metropolitan than the bustling Nairobi. Feel free to PM any qs you might have.