User Tag List

First 123

MBTI
    ISTx

I ice skate to fill the days.

MBTI
    ENTP

I'd just like to say that I relate very much to the title of this thread. I was born bored, I think. I too know how it feels to suffer from chronic boredom, when even the things you usually enjoy, seem lame and unentertaining. Shifting restlessness... nothing satisfies... done, done, and onto the next one, done, done, and onto the next one... for the love all that's holy and good would something please go wrong so I'll have something to do??!!

edit - I'll also add that few things are as dangerous for the world as a bored ENTP...
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INFP

And the worst part for me about being bored is that I feel guilty about it...my dad used to say that a smart person should never feel bored...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by Rasa View Post
    And the worst part for me about being bored is that I feel guilty about it...my dad used to say that a smart person should never feel bored...
    I think feeling bored is enough but feeling guilty about being bored is too much to take for anybody.
    So, don't feel guilty about being bored.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Rasa View Post
    That's absurd. I'd say the smarter you are, the more likely you are to be bored, and vice versa. The easier entertained you are, y'know...? If you're smart then much more stuff is easy for you and therefore unchallenging, unrewarding, unsurprising and unsafisfying. Of course this is a nice theory cos it means I'm unbelievably smart, since I'm unbelievably bored 90% of the time

It's a simple fact that intelligent babies are harder to keep occupied than less bright ones.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INFJ

The fact about babies is that they have little control over their lives or the kind of input and activities available to them. All they can do is stay alert, refuse to sleep and fuss if things are too uninteresting.

However, adults have plenty of control over how much novelty to which we expose ourselves. Some are satisfied going deeply into one subject, others like to learn lots of new things - languages, dance, art techniques, computer programs, etc. Travel, live music or theater, disaster relief sites - any number of places and situations exist which can be highly stimulating.

I can also recommend an amazingly fascinating and refreshing book, The Black Swan, which is about unexpected events that have great ramifications. It's a mix of philosophy, psychology, logic and math. The author is a trader/analyst with interesting things to say about predicting future events. How do we know what we know, and why are some things unknowable? Why do we believe what we do in the face of contrary evidence? Why are experts often less able to predict the future well than a lay person?

Jae Rae
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

MBTI
    INFP

Aaack. Bored again. Have considered/rejected the following as ways to pass the time:

pay bills
    put laundry in the dryer
    practice standing on my head (am totally serious about that)
    go for a walk
    check for work email
    watch swallows
    take up calligraphy
    learn how to draw Japanese characters, or maybe Egyptian heiroglyphics (sp?)
    take recycling out
    find the chapstick
    flip through the May edition of Utne Reader
    take garbage to curb

what an incredibly dull life i lead. no wonder i'm bored. any sane person would be.