User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I credit NILIF for the small amount of manageability I have managed to glean from my dog.
    Amen, sister. Alpha-dog status is necessary. Makes the doggie happier too. All dogs need jobs and a secure pecking order.

My dog's jobs are performing tricks, collecting loose coins/bills/small boxes/socks/sticks, and finding stray small critters in the house (crickets, spiders, and anoles).
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrielle View Post
    Actually, I would suggest he crate train and never get rid of the crate. The point is to teach the dog that the crate is his/her den...kinda like teaching a child that their room is their personal space. We did this with my dog, and she goes in there when she wants everyone to leave her alone or when she's scared. She even goes so far as to keep her toys either in the crate or near it.
    Our dog uses her crate the same way. We still use the crate even though our dog is almost 8 years old. We will crate her when we go to work (we have a dog walker - yes, our dog is very spoiled). Most of her toys somehow end up in the crate sooner or later. It's so cute!

In the words of Martha, "Crate training - it's a good thing."

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post

I credit NILIF for the small amount of manageability I have managed to glean from my dog.

Ivy, I thought your dog was very well behaved!

MBTI
    type

Our dog crates herself. She's happier there when we're gone or there are Bad Things Around (like vacuum cleaners, baths, etc).

If we need to leave, we just tell everyone to "Go Home!" and the tiel and the dog go into their crates. The Grey parrot does not, but she's contrary.

OH! Husband did teach the dog a special word to get her to LEAVE a location immediately. That was a great idea--never thought it would come in handy until someone dropped a glass on the kitchen floor.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by rivercrow View Post
    This is exactly what I started wondering. I know Border Collies get wildly stressed as "dogs of leisure" because they've been bred as working dogs. They need jobs--regular employment. I have no idea if the same applies to ACDs.
    ACDs are like Border Collies, only much worse for the leisure life. They're like a ball of energy, super-attentive, and they don't play. They work and work and work some more, and if you don't give them a job, they will identify something active that you like to do with them, or if you don't, it could be anything, and they will do it as if they were an SJ with OCD and hyperactivity. The one my parents have takes playing with a ball as if it were a full-time job... She sometimes herds other dogs around... She chases cats and is outrageously intent on capturing them, to the point that she'll damage the house trying to get at them.

They're nuts. My great uncle had one, and a number of the cowboys had them at the ranch where I worked. The one he had was kinda wacky because they didn't do enough with it, and the ones on the ranch worked all freaking day, tirelessly. I'd say the average ACD did at least 3 times the distance of the horses that the cowboys were riding, that's how active they were, and many would herd for 12 hours a day...

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    ACDs are like Border Collies, only much worse for the leisure life.

egads.

Teaching pets special words is a must. I also recommend teaching a dog to pee on command. Ours is " get busy." I have NO freaking clue why I choose those words. Some days I feel pretty stupid standing in our front yard telling her to get busy while people are walking by wondering what the heck is going on.

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Res Ipsa Loquitur View Post
    Teaching pets special words is a must. I also recommend teaching a dog to pee on command. Ours is " get busy." I have NO freaking clue why I choose those words. Some days I feel pretty stupid standing in our front yard telling her to get busy while people are walking by wondering what the heck is going on.
    Yup. The dog was taught in German, the birds were taught in English. Otherwise we'd have pets eliminating on command all over the place....

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Res Ipsa Loquitur View Post
    Ivy, I thought your dog was very well behaved!
    I'm glad you thought so! He has actually calmed down a lot in the past year or so. He's 7, but he's still basically a big ol' puppy.

I will never again get a dog with a double coat, though. Do Australian Shepherds have double coats, Brendan (or anybody)? Grooming Eli is a HUGE pain and if we flake out he gets mats very quickly.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Hey Brendan,
    An excellent choice. Dogs are MUCH nicer than children

I'm not sure that a herder is what you should get but there are facilities in some places to take your dog herding at the weekend or some such. That'd be a good compromise cause otherwise your going to be dealing with a dog who has far too much time on their hands and is not constrained at all by "or else".

My personal recommendation for a dog (if you want a friendly dog) is a springer spaniel. Their tons of fun and less likely to ransack your house whilst you "just nipped out for a minute".

The idea of a rescue dog is also cool. Most of them won't have long term psychological problems due to dogs having a fairly short memory span. I think your thinking of those nightmare cases. Most of them would probably be doubly loyal because your the first pack leader to really accept them.

Oh and in ref to obedience school, please don't train the mischief out of your dog. It's like one of their best features!

Oh yeah and forget about going to any club with those weird UV lights. They pick out every single hair on you!!
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?