User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    XNXP

Congrats. That's a dog I had never heard of. Will you bring him along on your "road trip" or has that been canceled ?

Looks a little bit like a "Border Collie" ( very different than the dog known in America as a "Collie" ) which is considered the smartest dog in the world.

Both are "herding dogs". Since you will not be herding, you will need to devote tons of time to this dog - or it will feel neglected, and frustrated with pent up energy.
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    I don't disagree, but do take exception to why he wants the dog. If it's about wanting to nuture and train, identifing a 'breed' that will do that ignores the whole purpose. It's like saying I want a kid, but one that is "this" and "that". It's sidestepping the whole issue. The breed matters, sure... but the lesson isn't in getting a breed that listens, it's about training what you have. Don't idealize the concept of a dog, or a breed.
    I understand what you're saying, but it's like comparing a child that you've had with your spouse to a child you adopt. To a certain extent, with a child who is essentially you and your partner, you know what you're getting into.

There are couples out there who would make great parents, but not for adoptive children. It's just a different landscape. What if I get a dog that turns out to have been abused? I know it sounds cruel, but no matter how hard I tried, I wouldn't have the time, knowledge or skills to resocialize it to learn to at least attempt to trust people, if that were even possible.

I want a puppy not just for myself, but also for the puppy. A home is a home, yeah, but if I'm not able to care for it and make it a happy, loved and loving dog, then I'll feel as though I failed my duty towards the dog.
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

I love heelers, but be aware that they're strong-willed work dogs and you must wear them out daily, or they go stir-crazy and get fat. This can take hours, mattering on what you do with the dog. My parents have one, and she'll play ball as long as you like, until she's literally so tired that she can't stand anymore.

Please take this into consideration - it's not fair to keep an ACD house-bound and without sufficient exercise.

Also consider that if you ever need to rent somewhere to live, pets are not protected by law like children, so people will exclude based on pets, regardless of the fact that cats and dogs tend to be easier on the structure and make less mess than children.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    I love heelers, but be aware that they're strong-willed work dogs and you must wear them out daily, or they go stir-crazy and get fat. This can take hours, mattering on what you do with the dog. My parents have one, and she'll play ball as long as you like, until she's literally so tired that she can't stand anymore.

Please take this into consideration - it's not fair to keep an ACD house-bound and without sufficient exercise.
    Yeah, I know. My mom and I had a Bouvier des Flandres named "Felix" that we got when I was 2. We got lucky, because finances didn't allow my mother to be home often at all, and I was always at an after-school babysitting program. He was a very mellow, laid-back, lazy dog. Eventually he went to live on my uncle's property with two other dogs, where he could run to his hearts content on two square miles. He died there, and I think he was probably happy, except for the fact that my mother and I were no longer in his life.

I miss Felix even 7 years after he's been gone

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    Congrats. That's a dog I had never heard of. Will you bring him along on your "road trip" or has that been canceled ?

Looks a little bit like a "Border Collie" ( very different than the dog known in America as a "Collie" ) which is considered the smartest dog in the world.

Both are "herding dogs". Since you will not be herding, you will need to devote tons of time to this dog - or it will feel neglected, and frustrated with pent up energy.
    ACDs make Border Collies look stupid, Border Collies make Collies look stupid. Well, Collies are crazy.

ACDs are also many times more active than a Border Collie, which is many times more active than a Collie...

I think they're great, but if I was ever to have one again, I would need a massive room on an incline with a ball launcher at one end setup to load and launch a ball in some random direction after the ACD returned it... Or I would get myself a ranch and a herd of cattle first.

Their ACD needs a lot of exercise and isn't happy without it... A ranch is really the best place for one, honestly.

Also: ACDs are not cuddly. No matter how much you try to socialize with them, they will never show much affection and they don't want it. I've known a number of them, and not one has ever been a dog that you pet much, or that wanted to be pet. The one my parents have is very standoffish, smart, and active.

MBTI
    XNXP

If your name wasn't Wolf I might not accept that correction.

Yahoo! Answers - Whice is the most smartest dog?
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

MBTI
    ENFJ

Not cancelled, but not set in stone either. I'm starting to think that a dog that I've raised from puppyhood would be the only enjoyable companion, if not the only tolerable one. I don't do well if I never have alone/down time, which a dog would be perfect for. Cuddling, play and rough-housing, without loquacious verbosity!

Another thing that I'm wondering about is crate training. Part of me would like to have the dog sleep in my bed. Which makes the gender thing a bit more of an issue. Given my preference, how would a male from a breed which is known to be reticent around strangers take to another male staying a night in his sleeping place?

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

I wouldn't recommend it.

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    Not cancelled, but not set in stone either. I'm starting to think that a dog that I've raised from puppyhood would be the only enjoyable companion, if not the only tolerable one. I don't do well if I never have alone/down time, which a dog would be perfect for. Cuddling, play and rough-housing, without loquacious verbosity!

Another thing that I'm wondering about is crate training. Part of me would like to have the dog sleep in my bed. Which makes the gender thing a bit more of an issue. Given my preference, how would a male from a breed which is known to be reticent around strangers take to another male staying a night in his sleeping place?
    From what I've been reading just these last few minutes since seeing your thread - these kinds of dogs need attention nearly every two hours while awake, or at least need to be able to get outside every two hours. Otherwise they will "dig" ( tear stuff up if inside ) . Are you prepared to devote that kind of attention to your dog month after month, year after year ?

I think getting a dog is a good decision for you - not sure if a herder is the best move unless you are prepared to make that dog your LIFE. What will it do while you are at work ?

Crate Training

MBTI
    ENFJ

From what I've been reading just these last few minutes since seeing your thread - these kinds of dogs need attention nearly every two hours while awake. Otherwise they will "dig" ( tear stuff up if inside ) . Are you prepared to devote that kind of attention to your dog month after month, year after year ?

I think getting a dog is a good decision for you - not sure if a herder is the best move unless you are prepared to make that dog your LIFE. What will it do while you are at work ?
    My cousin's dad bred and showed Australian Shepherds, he actually lucked out with a male named Case, but that became a whole emotionally sordid affair which involved my uncle's death, Case being stolen and I'd rather not get into that. But my cousin lives with me, she loves Australian Shepherds and knows how to care for them. In addition, there is another dog who lives here, a two year old Chihuahua named Eddie and a dog who comes with her owner like every other weekend, a 9 year old Cocker Spaniel named Lucy. 99% of the time, there will be people present in the house. People willing to take it for walks, play with it, or just sit and pet it and groom it.