User Tag List

First 36768485868788 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by earthtrekker1775 View Post
    You know Disco, I was thinking about this. She may get hit on and asked out by customers very frequently. Her standard answer may very well be no. However, it might be worth your time and effort to talk to her again and let her know you are not just another lame drunk who likes to flirt. Ask her if you read the signals wrong, and if she would agree to coffee no strings attached, just a chance to talk to you in a non-bar/alcohol environment. If she agrees, great. You get a second chance, and she knows you have already shown more interest and determination than 99% of the guys that hit on her. If she says no, you haven't lost anything you didn't already consider gone.
    While I certainly see your point, I kind of turn off to people once I've been rejected.

I can usually still be friends with them, but there's no chance for more than that.

I've been in there enough times by now that if she said no, she knew what the deal was.

There are many fish in the sea my friend, and I'm bringing my rod and reel out with me tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Circle View Post
    I see what you're saying. What if the whole truth is hurtful? How then do you act with care for their feelings?
    The whole truth is never hurtful, if it is indeed the whole truth. If it seems like the whole truth is hurtful, one needs a more panoramic view of the situation, because that means the perspective does not include every relevant variable and data point.

Deficit/negativity is not intrinsic to the fabric and dynamic of reality, whereas positivity/grace is. Deficit/negativity is an overlaying distortion. There is always good available to counterbalance and defeat evil.
    Likes Kheledon liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mia. View Post
    The whole truth is never hurtful, if it is indeed the whole truth. If it seems like the whole truth is hurtful, one needs a more panoramic view of the situation, because that means the perspective does not include every relevant variable and data point.
    Well-said. I guess you could scope out and try to capture the complexity and then in some way it becomes impersonal?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Can you be both honest and careful with someone's feelings?
    You can try, but there are things that some people just don't want to hear, however kindly and carefully presented. We cannot dump all responsibility for this type of exchange on the speaker. The listener has some responsibility as well.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    You can try, but there are things that some people just don't want to hear, however kindly and carefully presented. We cannot dump all responsibility for this type of exchange on the speaker. The listener has some responsibility as well.
    I agree, of course. But, should not the onus be on the initiator of the conversation?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Can you be both honest and careful with someone's feelings?
    yes, but careful doesn't mean you'll never say things that don't hurt. That's what I was getting at with the word brutal. It's also catchier than "the honest but careful with someone's feelings thread."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I agree, of course. But, should not the onus be on the initiator of the conversation?
    The initiator of the conversation is not always the person making the brutally truthful statement. After all, isn't the classic example the woman who asks a SO, "does this dress/jeans/etc make me look fat"? She asked, so by your criterion, the onus is on her.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

garbage

I read "brutal honesty" as "welp, here's your chance to be very direct"

All Natural! All Good!

The initiator of the conversation is not always the person making the brutally truthful statement. After all, isn't the classic example the woman who asks a SO, "does this dress/jeans/etc make me look fat"? She asked, so by your criterion, the onus is on her.

Great post.
    Strychnine is all-natural,
    So strychnine is all good.
    It's Godly and righteous,
    So eat it, you should.
    Who are you to refuse nature's will?

Don't use the multiquote; it was planted by the devil to deceive us.

Social Role: Asscrack/Piece of Shit/Public Defecator/Spiteful Urinator

A different type everyday - so no need to type me anymore. But feel free to enjoy the sound of your own asscrack.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7

The onus is on her because in the classic example she expects a particular biased answer. Her set-up entraps the answerer, which is immature and dishonest. Her results are limited by the very way she phrases the question. People like this are hard to deal with because they create a culture around emotional manipulation and lies, and when they cannot accept the truth they only have themselves to blame. It would be another example entirely had she asked with innocent curiosity. This is rare and not covered in the classic example invoked.

Perhaps listener and initiator are not always two distinct people either.
    Likes Dyslexxie liked this post