First 567891757 Last

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Not from my experience? It certainly isn't my first impression of you. Maybe you're like that and I didn't know about it?
    No. One of my dill-weed family members says this about me every time we get into an argument. It's not a pattern with others, but I was afraid it might somehow be a blindspot. Just wanted to throw it out there. Thanks for honest reply. =)
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

^ I think people could easily mistake your confidence in what you believe in as arrogance. It's a common mistake people make.. I get made fun of a lot for having a "self-important walk" according to one army buddy... to which I replied, "You have to be important to be confident? since when? Should I kick pebbles and look down so that you feel better?"
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    I'll start. Do you think I'd make a good therapist?
    I like your thread idea.

I think you made this thread because you want to rid yourself of your insecurity about the purpose you serve in life. This is something that you find deeply troubling which is why you probably do well at covering it up sort of like this is a thinly-veiled cover-up for why you've made this thread.

To answer your question, yes, you'd make a good therapist because you have something many therapists don't really have, and that is the very humanity which struggles against your insecurity. The very fact that you made this thread, to me, shows this struggle I'm talking about, which, although it shows insecurity, shows far more-so, humanity.

That is why you will be a good therapist. Many therapists have a sort of inhuman sympathy that can't really help people. You have quite a lot of humanity, and perhaps that is why you care enough to be ask about something even though some part of you already knows you're excellent at it (which illustrates the shadow of insecurity cast by your humanity).

My only other thought is that your interest in helping people is merely a means of satisfying your troubling sense of purposelessness in life, so deeply trouble the sense is, so grandly humanitarian your interests are to compensate. I wonder if you would end up like many other inhuman yet sympathetic therapists because without facing this issue at face value and exhausting your best method of compensating you'd feel stuck with nowhere else to go and your passion would fade. I'm sure they didn't go through all the schooling just to be who they are at the core... not really as caring and empathetic as their patients need them to be. In the end all they are left with is a sense of moral superiority that they're not even aware of having and this is what makes them useless.

You, however, could do something else. You could face your fears instead of trying to compensate and capitalize. You could throw off the chains of expectations and seek the truth about your purpose in life, the clearest sense about what love really is and what it is you love. You could grow. Or you could be a therapist and answer your own question, and live a life much like your current life, except that you'd have this question answered. And perhaps, then, you wouldn't feel insecure anymore. Or maybe you would. I couldn't say.

I'm told dying of hypothermia is also quite comfortable.

The end. </super honest mode>
    Good intentions are not enough.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    Should I look into being a psychologist, professor, or something else (if so, what should that be)?
    Yes. At least look into it.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    @EJCC - Absolutely not. However, it depends what kind of men you are going for. You are pretty down to earth, smart, common sense-ish and I would guess like most ESTJs competently self-sufficient. For a guy who is under 25 or 30, that could be something that would make them feel less sure of themselves and what they have to offer. Hence why you get along better with guys who are too old for you. You aren't likely to be interested in the frat boy crowd, nor do you give off the sorority girl partier vibe. You don't seem like much of a casual dater, so that narrows the field, particularly at the age and stage of life you are at.

@Edahn - I think you have some of the basic makings of a good therapist/counsellor personality wise. You are curious and interested in what's around you. Since you have family members with some background in that profession, I think you also have an idea of what you would be getting in for. I would question whether your attention span for it would last or whether it mightn't end up being a hobby of sorts for you and also whether you wouldn't somehow find it difficult to avoid drawing attention to yourself more than focussing on your patients. Sometimes it seems that you enjoy your neuroses or angst as a way to change things up when you get bored with yourself or your surroundings. I wonder if you maybe sometimes create chaos just for the fun of finding your way out of it.

@Purple - I am inclined to think that you have some kind of substance problem, although I'd readily acknowledge that my only knowledge of you is what I've observed here and the details you've given. It is difficult to tell for sure though, especially if there are mental health issues that could also be coming into play. These are the reasons I think you may have a problem though:
    - You are chronically depressed and use substances mabye to temporarily make you feel better, numb out or because you just don't care.
    - Your family is extremely worried about you and you feel restricted by the lack of freedom you are being given. Your brother would like you to live at his place.
    - You are frequently broke or beyond broke.
    - You often post drunk.
    - You go on sprees of suicidal or aggressive talk and then seem to even out.
    - You talk about engaging in risk-taking behaviours fairly frequently.
    - Many of your posts (bordering on most?) make references to drugs or alcohol.
    - Most of the pictures I've seen of you include alcohol.
    - You're asking this question.
    - You generally seem soft-spoken, but take on a different character when you do drugs or drink.

None of these in and of themselves necessarily indicate an addiction, but all together, make it seem like a likely possibility to me. These are just my general impressions though...
    Your eyes are more beautiful than your avatar's.

I want to bone you so hard, etc.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Quote Originally Posted by RevlisZero View Post
    What kind of impression do I give on this forum?
    Young, curious, asking questions about themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    Oooo, someone be honest with me. Do I come across as moral highhorse-ish? I'm fairly concerned about this...
    No, not to me that I can think of.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by tinker683 View Post
    Am I weird?
    No, not at all. But I do think you let women take advantage of you and that it's going to hold you up in terms of what you really want to find, a real relationship.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Do I come across as neurotic and obsessive?
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    Do I come across as neurotic and obsessive?
    How to know on a forum, although I think you come across as more thoughtful than a lot of posters.