User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    Yes, that's why I choose the more prosaic (commonplace) explanation. And the Beatles weren't allowed to generate political themes with their music at that time. Harrison was upset over the 95% income tax rate, and he found in it an opportunity to create a simple ditty about the taxman. Period.

When you read interviews in which the Beatles explain the meaning behind their songs, it rarely comes down to anything more profound than basic needs, either physical or emotional. "Revolution" is one of the rare exceptions. "Helter Skelter" was just Paul's attempt to produce something wild and raunchy. "Revolution 9" was just Lennon trying to be an avant-garde hipster. The line "the Walrus was Paul" was Lennon messing with our heads, and also a possible slight at Paul since the Walrus was a bad character.
    Yup, most of the time they'd make fun of and mess with people who asked about what their songs meant, it's kind of something they were known for.

I know they are big symbols for the 60's, but they got their start essentially wanting to be little Teddy Boys, street thugs. I guess that's why I'm a Beatles fan, their songs didn't go stale, they evolved as the group got caught up and also changed all that crazy stuff that was happening back then.

Lennon was an ass, and misogynistic, but he was somewhat self aware about it later on.

EDIT: My headbanger buddy won't listen to me when I tried to explain to him that in the 60's "I wanna hold your hand" was hardcore.

Sniffles

I never cared much for "Imagine" nor have I ever been a big Lennon fan. I know he made the infamous remark about how the Beatles were bigger than Jesus, but later clarified he didn't mean that to be interpreted as an anti-religious remark.

In his 1980 Playboy interview he commented: "People always got the image I was an anti-Christ or antireligion. I'm not. I'm a most religious fellow. I was brought up a Christian and I only now understand some of the things that Christ was saying in those parables. Because people got hooked on the teacher and missed the message."

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I really hate the Beatles. Not necessarily their music (I like a handful of their songs), but their legacy. Take any class in contemporary music history, and you get some fucking Boomer telling you about how great, influential, and historically important they were. What a bunch of bullshit.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I really hate the Beatles. Not necessarily their music (I like a handful of their songs), but their legacy. Take any class in contemporary music history, and you get some fucking Boomer telling you about how great, influential, and historically important they were. What a bunch of bullshit.
    Musically speaking, their songs were all those things, and it's really impressive when you break down the music theory. I don't know much about their cultural significance.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Musically speaking, their songs were all those things, and it's really impressive when you break down the music theory.
    How? I have yet to have a satisfactory explanation.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    How? I have yet to have a satisfactory explanation.
    I will try to remember to respond to this when I have a chance but what will blow your mind even more is that the Beach Boys/Brian Wilson were enormously influential as well in terms of theory/structure.

One very brief example is Eleanor Rigby. The smooth integration of dorian mode with nonstandard phrase structure (5 bar phrase broken into 3 smaller phrases) is groundbreaking.
    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaRNrDaoMqw"]Eleanor Rigby[/YOUTUBE]
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sp
    Socionics
    INTp

He struck me as someone who had little use for organized religion while having faith that there was more after this life.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I came to understand the 68er revolution's core message to be in essence like the message of the time of enlightenment. Both said that one should free him- or herself from human-made borders and self-limitations and while the former one promoted that by listening to your heart, the latter one promoted that by using your brain.

I wouldnt go so far that John Lennon was anti-religion but he definitly did understand that all this borders and limitations we made as humans for ourselves and hurt ourselves with was wrong. To me he is a wise man
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]