User Tag List

First 123451353 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I might scan something at some point. I think handwriting is good up to a point, but it usually tries to be TOO specific, and it is terrible at explaining the "why's" of someone's handwriting being the way it is.

For example, someone might consistently write where their margins are ragged, their baselines are not straight but jumbled, and so forth. This says something about their personality... but what exactly? Do they just not care about writing, but care about other things? Were they emotionally disturbed at the time? Are they in a distracting environment? Does the jumbled line carry over to personality traits, or is it just a writing quirk? (Which everyone has.)

It's like trying to say someone is an ENFP just because they have a smiley instead of a dot over their i's. Chances are they aren't T's, but young T girls are still known to play around with that sort of thing from time to time, especially TP. How can one derive a whole consistent personality trait from that sort of thing?

MBTI actually deals with base foundational functions that would reasonably impact behavior across the board and thus has more credibility than a handwriting assessment (because the criteria used to establish personality is actually correlated better to foundational traits), although it still has some problems as AcidGoethe's INTPc thread brought up a month ago or so. I think a Skeptic's Dictionary unfortunately has a bias problem... and the bias problem is inherent in the title itself -- when you define yourself a certain way, you automatically orient yourself towards things in that way rather than another, even if not entirely appropriate.

Handwriting is not bad for some things. Cherie (ISFJ) has picture-perfect handwriting. To her, it's acceptable to write everything the same way every time she writes. Consistency and accuracy and appearance are important. She writes slowly as well. I scrawl in all-caps, in contrast, I never use cursive, my signature never looks the same twice, and when I try to print lowercase quickly, it usually ends up with the first letter or two of each word being recognizable and the rest of the word just being a wavy line -- I usually can't keep up with the flow of my thought process enough to write legibly. So it's like personal shorthand. This makes sense for INTP as a personality, although some INTPs depending on upbringing and need could perfect their handwriting... so it is no clear indication of anything... especially not distinguishing a whole type, for example.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I'll scan in some of my IXFX won't-prove-anything-to-anybody chickenscratch later today, maybe.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

First sample- hurriedly copied class notes.
    Second sample- neatly copied handwritten poem.
    Third sample- neatly copied printed poem.

I think I have pretty terrible handwriting. My brother, an ESTJ, I think, has near-perfect handwriting, just like they taught him in elementary school.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

cafe, your handwriting looks practically identical to mine, at first glance. I'm sure a Forensic Document Examiner could tell them apart!

MBTI
    TiSe

I write very clear, but since the age of computers do very little hand writing other than my signature. The first letter and middle initial are distinctively larger than the remaining letters.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Over the years I have worked with 1/2 a dozen ISTJs. Without fail they have immaculate, and tiny, handwriting that one could use as an example in a handwriting textbook. They also know *exactly* where the line is above which the words should be placed (which to me is a closed book!)
    Yes, the original tech writer (ISTJ) when I started working here years ago terrified me -- she had not only taught English on a high school or freshman level in college, but was immaculate and totally sure of herself and in her 50's, so she had a lifetime of confidence and experience to back her up.

Needless to say, my writing style and process was, uh, significantly different. I'm glad I didn't actually have to work much with her, because the few times we did, things got a little heated (she felt I was haphazard, I felt she was critical/anal).

A few days ago, one of the devs mentioned that a particular document got by her, and everyone was shocked -- as in, "Wow, that thing must have been tight, if she didn't rip it up." So even the non-writers recognize it.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    type

I tossed in a signature as my avatar, fwiw. If I get bored & change it, I'll add it here.
    crowsig.jpg
    Artists tell me my writing is graphically pleasing, but not legible. Most people just call it sloppy.

I used to be very interested in graphology. It's an interesting study.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    INTP

I don't have a scanner handy and I'm frustrated.

I read up on graphology once upon a time. I don't believe in it as a personality analysis tool, but there are strong impressionistic associations between some handwriting features and personality traits. Some are accurate, some are not. Nowadays I pay attention to handwriting for aesthetic reasons.

When I was 18 I consciously modified some features of my handwriting to resemble that of a girl I admired and whose handwriting I admired. Anyone else do that?

Finally: outmywindow, I like your handwriting a lot.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by C.J.Woolf View Post
    There are strong impressionistic associations between some handwriting features and personality traits.
    I'd go with that... I think there are a few correlations, but nothing like a "science" with specific correlations that hold true the majority of the time.

When I was 18 I consciously modified some features of my handwriting to resemble that of a girl I admired and whose handwriting I admired. Anyone else do that?
    I played with my sig from time to time, and tried to modify my handwriting, but it just doesn't "take." Pragmatism wins out. But other people do this sort of thing all the time, incorporating things they like into their style.

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    I think a better connection here is between Extroverted Judgment and neat writing and Introverted with messy.

Introverted Judgment(INTPs especially) can concentrate much harder than EJs, but only if they are into the task. Yet EJs can concentrate moderately well on just about anything, regardless of how they relate to what they are doing.

Even Keirsey noted that INTPs can concentrate harder than any other type.
    How is it that you always find a way to say how much better IPs are than EJs? Do IPs make better peanut butter and jelly sandwiches because they know how to apply just the right amount of peanut butter to jelly taking into consideration consistency of the PB&J and the density and quality of the bread based on their powerful introverted blah blah blah augmented by the superior Ne?

As far as handwriting goes, I purposefully make it neat and legible for my own and others reading pleasure. It varies on my mood and how quickly I have to write. I like reading my past journal entries cause I can tell how I was feeling just by looking at the writing.

I notice that men tend to have worse handwriting than women, and I usually can tell the sex of the person writing just by looking at the scrawl. Also, my friend just finished med school and she told me doctors take a class to make their handwriting as bad as it is.