User Tag List

First 12341252 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    If there's one thing I've noticed with handwriting it's the link between how neat people can make it and how well they can concentrate. Those who are easily put off from a long term task and those who are easily distracted tend to write messily and have problems with their handwriting. Those who can focus well and can do long term or concentration based tasks tend to have neater handwriting.

I reckon it'd be a fair thing to guess that Js tend to write neater than Ps. My writing certainly fluctuates. When ever I come to continue a piece of writing it almost always looks different even if it's the same pen.

Of course this is guesswork and is based only on those whom I've observed.
    I don't think my handwriting is overly messy. My concentration span is very good when I'm working on something that interests me; give me something to do that doesn't interest me and I've zoned out within minutes.

My handwriting does change when I am particularly stressed vs. when I am calm. The piece that I wrote above was written when I was relaxed and feeling good. If I scanned a page from my note book today at work, it would look very very different. I might do that tomorrow for comparative purposes.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Could be. Mine is messy and I have a strong NP preference.

I think.. that my brain doesnt want to wait for my hand to finish writing the word before moving forward, so I do a high speed illegible scrawl. At times I have no idea what I've written, let alone others that have to rely on it!

-Geoff
    This is the curse of many a post of mine

I did at one point have the habit of writing the first letter of a word and then forgetting to complete the word before continuing. The only thing which has ever stopped my handwriting from becoming completely illegible was starting to appreciate writing itself as a form of art and then taking my time over it's crafting (thus sometimes I'm more interested in the act of writing than I am in it's content, which is helpful sometimes in my job).
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Dansker View Post
    My handwriting does change when I am particularly stressed vs. when I am calm. The piece that I wrote above was written when I was relaxed and feeling good. If I scanned a page from my note book today at work, it would look very very different. I might do that tomorrow for comparative purposes.
    That'd be interesting. Mine certainly changes with mood and pressures but I'd struggle to produce anything but an example which I myself would not trust in case I'd forced the behaviour. You know like I'd go home a produce rushed handwriting, careful handwriting, "normal" handwriting etc but it'd be fake.

MBTI
    INTJ

If there's one thing I've noticed with handwriting it's the link between how neat people can make it and how well they can concentrate. Those who are easily put off from a long term task and those who are easily distracted tend to write messily and have problems with their handwriting. Those who can focus well and can do long term or concentration based tasks tend to have neater handwriting.

I reckon it'd be a fair thing to guess that Js tend to write neater than Ps. My writing certainly fluctuates. When ever I come to continue a piece of writing it almost always looks different even if it's the same pen.

lol I think that's pretty bogus overall, almost everyone I know in professional academia is very varied in their hand writting...I mean I hate pulling this rabbit, but even Einstein wrote pretty blah and tons of other historical figures that people associate with 'long-term' thinkers etc. etc.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Evidently, handwriting analysis is scientific enough to stand up in court, but only as a means to detect forgery. This is known as "forensic document examination," and it's a bona-fide science. Not so graphology, the form of handwriting analysis that attempts to link handwriting and personality. The Skeptic's Dictionary debunks graphology, but it also debunks MBTI, so let's go forward at full steam with intellectual dishonesty here and link the two!

Have you noticed similarities between your handwriting and others of your type or temperament? Differences between your handwriting and others that don't share your type or temperament? Feel like scanning in a sample so we can look for patterns?

Skeptics dictionary failed to refute MBTI. It has commited various logical fallacies and straw man among them.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

I think a better connection here is between Extroverted Judgment and neat writing and Introverted with messy.

Introverted Judgment(INTPs especially) can concentrate much harder than EJs, but only if they are into the task. Yet EJs can concentrate moderately well on just about anything, regardless of how they relate to what they are doing.

Even Keirsey noted that INTPs can concentrate harder than any other type.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by logan235711 View Post
    lol I think that's pretty bogus overall, almost everyone I know in professional academia is very varied in their hand writting...I mean I hate pulling this rabbit, but even Einstein wrote pretty blah and tons of other historical figures that people associate with 'long-term' thinkers etc. etc.
    Sorry "long term" was the wrong term. I was thinking of craftsmen but that's more focusing on the now in relation to the end result, ergo it's more linked to focusing on the now relative to what happens next more so than pure "in the moment" or actual long term planning/ conceptual thinking.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    I think a better connection here is between Extroverted Judgment and neat writing and Introverted with messy.

Introverted Judgment(INTPs especially) can concentrate much harder than EJs, but only if they are into the task. Yet EJs can concentrate moderately well on just about anything, regardless of how they relate to what they are doing.

Even Keirsey noted that INTPs can concentrate harder than any other type.
    I'd have imagined it was the other way around. Wouldn't writing be more of an introverted task? I was thinking that IxxJ would be the best at writing.

This whole thing about INTPs concentrating the hardest, I'd like to see what they are quantifying as concentration. I always associated it with quite focused and small view kinda tasks not big picture thinking.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'd have imagined it was the other way around. Wouldn't writing be more of an introverted task? I was thinking that IxxJ would be the best at writing.
    It does depend on the purpose of the writing, I think.

If I want a heavily technical document, and if they have someone to make sure they've gotten the scope, I'd probably go for an ISTJ if I want everything to be exactly right. (An INTJ will definitely fix the scope errors, but an ISTJ gets even more anal about format, spelling, grammar, and the like.)

The writers that have most dazzled me in terms of pure fluency of language AND how "tight" and focused and intense their prose can be have been INFJ, especially in the "human" areas. (I think Harlan Ellison, for example, is an INFJ.) The thing to be careful about is that this is not the same as saying "All INFJs can write well." It's still partly practice and inborn talent, coupled with the strengths of the personality.

If I want someone who covers all the bases and might seem "warmer," a P might be better, though. They tend to be more exploratory and casual rather than tight.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INXP

Over the years I have worked with 1/2 a dozen ISTJs. Without fail they have immaculate, and tiny, handwriting that one could use as an example in a handwriting textbook. They also know *exactly* where the line is above which the words should be placed (which to me is a closed book!)

-Geoff