User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Default Shameless Self-Promotion

Hi everybody,

I have started a blog about videogames. I think it's interesting and so might you. From the introduction:

This blog is for my wife. She doesn't like or understand videogames. She tolerates my hobby and, from time to time, even tries to understand it. But when pressed to explain why I love games, my answers aren't convincing. I don't have anything to conceal; the problem is just that I don't have any good answers. Perhaps games really are just a waste of time, but I am reluctant to accept that. If I can't explain why games are a worthy claim on my attention, then I want to at least explain why they hold so much of it.

And this is from my first post:

I normally wear headphones when playing games. I like to tell myself that it's more immersive and gives a better sense for a game's soundscape, and that's true, but I secretly wear them for another reason. Dialogue in games is often atrocious, and I wear headphones to avoid the embarrassment of inflicting it upon innocent bystanders. Crysis is definitely a headphones game, but somehow bad dialogue is only the tip of the large block of ice mostly submerged in water.

Constructive compliments welcomed, here or on the blog itself.

I think my next post will be about Red Dead Redemption. I might be more conflicted about that than I am about Crysis.

EDIT: Also, what games do you want me to write about?
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

You probably love video games because they are an escape, and also because they stimulate the reward center of your brain.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/sp

You probably love video games because they are awesome. And play Red Dead Redemption without headphones, the dialogue is pretty good in my opinion.

MBTI
    INTj

So you have traded books for video games, Mr. Reason?

I would be upset if I were your wife too.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    So you have traded books for video games, Mr. Reason?

I would be upset if I were your wife too.
    I would be upset if you were my wife.

And no, I never read books.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

MBTI
    INTj

Two lies in one post.

I appreciate your efficiency, sir.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    INTP

Do you prefer single-player or multi-player games? If its the former, you might be better off having a wife who doesn't care for video games (unless you're willing to buy two of everything).

The only game I'm really excited about right now is Skyrim; if you're into those type of games, I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on that when it comes out (my biggest concern is how well the thieving and burglary system is going to work, and the way treasures and monsters are leveled-or not-along with your character....Oblivion really screwed the pooch on those issues).

MBTI
    ESFJ

lowtech,

I am most interested in single-player experiences. Also, we live out in the woods and get internet by satellite, and it has strict download limits each day. Online multi-player is not really practical for me. In any case, I don't want my wife to be an avid gamer like me -- I just want to be able to explain myself! As it happens, she has taken a much bigger interest in my blog than I expected. She may not like games, but she is intrigued by the narrative possibilities they present, and she also enjoys the challenge of good writing.

I am also excited about Skyrim. I normally don't preorder games, but I have preordered Skyrim. I have also been anticipating what I might write about it on my blog and I have some interesting ideas. That said, it'll be a long time before I am in a position to give a proper critique of Skyrim.

Right now I am working on a post about Metro 2033.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I finally got the next post up about Metro 2033. Check it out:

http://ambientchallenge.blogspot.com...g-russian.html

MBTI
    ESFJ

My Blog is actually going pretty well. My work has been linked to by videogame criticism blog, Critical Distance, industry website, Gamasutra, and now the most popular videogame blog on the internet, "Rock, Paper, Shotgun."

EDIT: Links have also appeared on the Ludology subReddit.

EDIT2: I think that's pretty good since I have only made three posts (not counting the introduction).