User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    Lol, I took off the tags so that Halla wouldn't be spammed. Now it just looks like you were complimenting my post haha.

Anyway, situations like this make me feel extremely lacking in power. I wish I could do something, but it really seems I can't.

And this is why I used to seriously consider running for president.
    Lol! little ENTP finds new way to promote self! Weather at 11.

I think we are supposed to feel as if we have no power, but that isn't true. We have power and freedom over our own choices. Maybe they aren't world shattering because in comparison to the world they seem small. But to our world, our galaxy of self and soul, they are everything. Don't lose hope in the power of yourself.

I thought about Trying to run for congress a few years ago. But then I realized that on the remote chance I would be able to, you are owned by whomever helps you. Becoming president of the us sounds like you could do a lot... But I think you have less freedom than the average citizen because of that.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    Lol! little ENTP finds new way to promote self! Weather at 11.

I am glad you find this to be news

I think we are supposed to feel as if we have no power, but that isn't true. We have power and freedom over our own choices. Maybe they aren't world shattering because in comparison to the world they seem small. But to our world, our galaxy of self and soul, they are everything. Don't lose hope in the power of yourself.

I thought about Trying to run for congress a few years ago. But then I realized that on the remote chance I would be able to, you are owned by whomever helps you. Becoming president of the us sounds like you could do a lot... But I think you have less freedom than the average citizen because of that.
    Yeah, I have considered that a small difference is a big difference. I think what I am going to do (and I mean it) is I am not going to run for an office position. Rather, I am going to gain the life experience and the renown to make it so that my opinions matter. So that I can influence people without being tied to a position.

I want to be like Teddy Roosevelt. I want to reform a lot of things simply and hopefully quickly. It'll take me a while to get to that level of influence. And a lot of plotting.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

@Halla74, Awesome.

Yes, I own a copy of "Enron: The smartest guys in room", plus three of the Michael Moore documentaries, lincluding "Sicko", which is about the health care system. Granted, Michael Moore is biased, but one portion shows an insurance executive testifying before congress about how she denied someone's claim and was subsequently promoted and given a bonus.

In addition to these, I've heard numerous horror stories from people with denied claims. My co-worker's wife's treatment was denied because it was a condition reoccurring after changing jobs. My aunt found out her medical insurance, "Wasn't worth the paper it was printed on." My car insurance company dropped me at age 19 because I had an accident.

For a few years, I paid 25% of my take home pay for medical insurance. Then I went to the doctor to have a test, and the doctor marked it as elective, so I ended up being charged like $500 for a test. Therefore, I canceled my medical insurance. Insanity!

Well, last year, as most people on this forum know, I had emergency surgery for appendicitis Sept 2010. I've ranted about this a lot. I went in to the local hospital, and they transferred me to a city hospital for surgery.

Then I started getting bills for over $32,000. I was much more upset about that than surgery, much trauma and fear. I started writing all kinds of angry letters and talking to everyone I knew.

Then I read some books on it, and realized that at my level of income, all my property and income were exempt. Thus, they could sue me, but they would not be able to collect a dime.

Thereafter, I continued to negotiate. I met with the local hospital administrator. I read how to actually draft the correct kinds of letters, and found exactly what was the best process.

In finality, I agreed to pay less than $3000, which is more than a 90% cost reduction. The hospital administrator explained to me that his hospital has a short fall of $100,000 per month, and that costs are deliberately inflated. He and I agreed to 22% of that bill, and 10% of the ambulance service. He explained that insurance companies are the one's making money, not his hospital, and he was grateful I agreed to pay anything at all because I could have legally got away with paying nothing.

Subsequently, I studied deductibles and what people paid for appendicitis online, and it looks like I beat the average out of pocket cost that people with insurance paid. I could be wrong since it was small sample size, but the point is that (1.) I saved around 25% my income from being spent for years and (2.) I ended up paying comparable to the expenses that people with insurance end up paying.

I'm not suggesting anyone follow my example because I can be crazy, but the system, corporate greed, Enron, and the "predatory state" piss me off.

Anew Leaf

I am glad you find this to be news

Yeah, I have considered that a small difference is a big difference. I think what I am going to do (and I mean it) is I am not going to run for an office position. Rather, I am going to gain the life experience and the renown to make it so that my opinions matter. So that I can influence people without being tied to a position.

I want to be like Teddy Roosevelt. I want to reform a lot of things simply and hopefully quickly. It'll take me a while to get to that level of influence. And a lot of plotting.
    For that you will need an INTJ.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    For that you will need an INTJ.
    I can plot too
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

Anew Leaf

I can plot too
    yes, little ENTP you can... but follow through... that takes an INTJ.

I say this not to mock you my fellow NP - I say this from my own experience.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

@Halla74: just wow.
    It makes you realize that reality is stranger than fiction could ever be, doesn't it?

Well, maybe someone should make stuff like that illegal. Why haven't we?
    There is no one answer, but there are a myriad of contributing factors.

The one's that immediately come to my mind are:

(1) Politicians, in general, are corrupt. In my opinion, the vast majority of them, regardless of which party they hail from, would be just as happy to sell you, me, and several future generations of this country up the river for the sake of personal gain. Yes, I'm sure there are a few "White Knight" politicians, but since >=99% of all other politicians are thieving, lying, cheating pieces of shit, the few good ones that are around aren't really able to accomplish a whole lot.

(2) Corporations systematically pay off corrupt politicians in order to DE-REGULATE a specific SECTOR of the ECONOMY every few election cycles.

By doing so, they get a cronie in office, or payoff an incumbent crook politician, especially one with oversight duties for the industry being targeted, and solicits the assistance of the politician to DE-REGULATE the industry, in other words "LOOK THE OTHER WAY WHILE I STEAL IT BLIND."

EXAMPLES:

(2a) MORTGAGE INDUSTRY: The sub-prime market collapse, Credit Default Swaps, and and the $700 billion that we threw at the whole bag of shit should have never happened in the first place. BUT - the regulatory agencies that were supposed to be keeping tabs on this industry were told time and time again by their management, who happen to be APPOINTED by CORRUPT POLITICIANS to stand down, and that all was well. Plus, government agencies are about as well equipped to regulate any given industry of great financial significance as a squad car of police officers that winds up unfortunately trying to arrest a group of Russian Mobsters. Guess what? The crooks don't play by the rules, and they use machine guns, not pistols.

(2b) FINANCIAL ACCOUNTING INDUSTRY: Everyone remembers "ENRON," but fewer people understand that the nature of the fraud they commited was a simple accounting control fraud. At the time, the GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) allowed corporations to recognize "potential future profits" on the current year's set of books.

EXAMPLE: So, ENRON "bought" (by "swapping stock", not with cash) a massive power plant that was under construction in India at a discount because the original financiers went under for some reason. ENRON claimed the new plant "when completed" would generate XYZ billions of kilowatts of power, which would be sold to ABC millions of people at a rate of QRS Rupies per kilowatt, resulting in a profit of $500 billion. BUT - the plant would not be in operation for 5 YEARS, and they were allowed to POST THE PROFIT on their BOOKS in the CURRENT YEAR??? Sounds like a bunch of Hoo-Hah to me.

(2c) SAVINGS and LOAN INDUSTRY: Anybody here remember Neil Bush? He's the fuckhole posterchild of the "S&L" crisis, due to his company "Eldorado" being the first of many nationally filing for bankruptcy after embezzling/offshoring the savings of their depositors.

(2d) UTILITIES circa 1900-1915: A professor of mine identified a pattern of electrical utilities who were generating way more profit than energy around the turn of the century. This is likely the beginning of the systematic exploitation of an indusrty by special interests.

Corporate criminals continue to do these things because THEY ARE NEVER PUNISHED COMMENSURATELY for THE DAMAGE THEY CAUSE.

The white collar crooks and their crooked cronies on Capitol Hill should all have their assets seized and re-distributed to their victims, and then serve life ina very nasty prison.

(3) The average American is completely oblivious to all the above.

(4) The average American has the memory of a gnat when it comes to politics, or history in general.

(5) The average American feels powerless to change these things, because Americans have been conveniently turned into several unorganized factions who all feel it is more important to hate other people with opposing views than to focus on the graft that is ruing the lives of us all.

I'm sure ther eare lots more, but this is what I've got for now.

-Alex
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by BAJ View Post
    @Halla74, Awesome.
    Thank you! You just dropped a doozie yourself!

Yes, I own a copy of "Enron: The smartest guys in room", plus three of the Michael Moore documentaries, lincluding "Sicko", which is about the health care system. Granted, Michael Moore is biased, but one portion shows an insurance executive testifying before congress about how she denied someone's claim and was subsequently promoted and given a bonus.
    Thank you for reminding me of the name of the Enron documentary!

Also, I've never watched any of Moore's documentaries.
    Graduate school has kept me buried in books for three years, so I've had no time for films.
    I will be sure to check them out soon, thanks for the heads up.

In addition to these, I've heard numerous horror stories from people with denied claims. My co-worker's wife's treatment was denied because it was a condition reoccurring after changing jobs. My aunt found out her medical insurance, "Wasn't worth the paper it was printed on." My car insurance company dropped me at age 19 because I had an accident.
    WOW. :horor:
    It's scary how many people we all know who have suffered such deception.

For a few years, I paid 25% of my take home pay for medical insurance. Then I went to the doctor to have a test, and the doctor marked it as elective, so I ended up being charged like $500 for a test. Therefore, I canceled my medical insurance. Insanity!
    I would have been SO pissed.

Well, last year, as most people on this forum know, I had emergency surgery for appendicitis Sept 2010. I've ranted about this a lot. I went in to the local hospital, and they transferred me to a city hospital for surgery.
    I had no idea, WOW! I hope you're OK.

Then I started getting bills for over $32,000. I was much more upset about that than surgery, much trauma and fear. I started writing all kinds of angry letters and talking to everyone I knew.

Then I read some books on it, and realized that at my level of income, all my property and income were exempt. Thus, they could sue me, but they would not be able to collect a dime.

Thereafter, I continued to negotiate. I met with the local hospital administrator. I read how to actually draft the correct kinds of letters, and found exactly what was the best process.

In finality, I agreed to pay less than $3000, which is more than a 90% cost reduction. The hospital administrator explained to me that his hospital has a short fall of $100,000 per month, and that costs are deliberately inflated. He and I agreed to 22% of that bill, and 10% of the ambulance service. He explained that insurance companies are the one's making money, not his hospital, and he was grateful I agreed to pay anything at all because I could have legally got away with paying nothing.

Subsequently, I studied deductibles and what people paid for appendicitis online, and it looks like I beat the average out of pocket cost that people with insurance paid. I could be wrong since it was small sample size, but the point is that (1.) I saved around 25% my income from being spent for years and (2.) I ended up paying comparable to the expenses that people with insurance end up paying.
    This is an amazing account of how one man was forced to navigate a corrupt and broken system, and despite facing unfavorable odds, research, knowledge, effort, and courage resolved things.

Thanks for sharing your experience, I think it's a huge lesson to us all and that you handled it superbly.

I'm not suggesting anyone follow my example because I can be crazy, but the system, corporate greed, Enron, and the "predatory state" piss me off.
    Nice summary statement! Agreed 100%!!!

-Alex
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post

(1) Politicians, in general, are corrupt. In my opinion, the vast majority of them, regardless of which party they hail from, would be just as happy to sell you, me, and several future generations of this country up the river for the sake of personal gain. Yes, I'm sure there are a few "White Knight" politicians, but since >=99% of all other politicians are thieving, lying, cheating pieces of shit, the few good ones that are around aren't really able to accomplish a whole lot.

(2) Corporations systematically pay off corrupt politicians in order to DE-REGULATE a specific SECTOR of the ECONOMY every few election cycles.

By doing so, they get a cronie in office, or payoff an incumbent crook politician, especially one with oversight duties for the industry being targeted, and solicits the assistance of the politician to DE-REGULATE the industry, in other words "LOOK THE OTHER WAY WHILE I STEAL IT BLIND."
    Corporations pay off politicians to either de-regulate (so they can cut corners and generate more profits) or pay them to pass specific regulations to create barriers to entry and keep the competitors out.

Basically, they will bribe the politicians every which way possible to maximize profits.

And of course, at certain point, they sheer the sheep a little too close to the jugular and a whole bunch of mess happens.

Pretty much exactly what one would expect when you mix politics with bribery.

Plus, government agencies are about as well equipped to regulate any given industry of great financial significance as a squad car of police officers that winds up unfortunately trying to arrest a group of Russian Mobsters. Guess what? The crooks don't play by the rules, and they use machine guns, not pistols.
    Why you gotta bring up the Russians, bro? This isn't the Cold War anymore. If you want to use a negative analogy, use Muslims or something.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Corporations pay off politicians to either de-regulate (so they can cut corners and generate more profits) or pay them to pass specific regulations to create barriers to entry and keep the competitors out.

Basically, they will bribe the politicians every which way possible to maximize profits.

And of course, at certain point, they sheer the sheep a little too close to the jugular and a whole bunch of mess happens.

Pretty much exactly what one would expect when you mix politics with bribery.
    Thanks for the additional detail, Brother Edgar.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Why you gotta bring up the Russians, bro? This isn't the Cold War anymore. If you want to use a negative analogy, use Muslims or something.
    I brought up the Russians because the Russian gangsters are the baddest motherfuckers in all of the criminal underworld.
    How many mobsters can claim a high percentage of former military Special Forces operatives (aka "Speznets," right?) amongst their ranks?
    NONE except the Russians.
    So, Brother Edgar, I mentioned them with respect, because if I had to make a wager, I'd bet on the Russian mobsters versus any other group of mafiosos.
    Capice?

Nice to hear from you, Cheers dude!

-Alex
    --------------------
    Type Stats:

Quotes: