First 12345 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    I was asking you to define it.
    This is a cooperative. However it would be closer to what I'm thinking about to specifically look at this.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

In ideal world, I would live off land and run a self sufficient farm, but seeing as it's not ideal world, and I don't have the funds to turn my back on corporate society. It's a major flaw of the system that we don't have the option realistically to opt out.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
    In ideal world, I would live off land and run a self sufficient farm, but seeing as it's not ideal world, and I don't have the funds to turn my back on corporate society. It's a major flaw of the system that we don't have the option realistically to opt out.
    But...but...you have the freedom to toss dwarves in Florida! Or if you are a little person, to be tossed! What more freedom could you ask for?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    But...but...you have the freedom to toss dwarves in Florida! Or if you are a little person, to be tossed! What more freedom could you ask for?
    Ooooo.....really? I never wanted to live on a farm anyway.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Ooooo.....really? I never wanted to live on a farm anyway.
    Farms are for pussy ass commies!
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTJ

I don't have a problem with corporations. I just have a problem with a system that allows corporations to bribe politicians to pass specific laws to benefit their financial interests.

For example - why are oil companies "taxed at an effective rate of nine percent, which is a much lower rate than the 25% rate for general business taxes and lower than the taxes of virtually any other industry, according to a 2005 study by the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office." ?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum_industry

Also, why do banks get $700 billion bail out, yet the extended benefits for the unemployed in the amount $12.5 billion are blocked because apparently that's too beaucoup? http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news...ment-extension

Oh that's right - it's because poor saps getting $300 week don't have enough bribery money, unlike banks and oil companies.

Long story short: campaign contributions (i.e. bribery) ruined the country.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

That reminds me of the other photoshopped picture which has anti-tax demonstrators protesting on a public street paid for with taxes, by traffic lights paid by taxes, by a road paid for by taxes etc. etc.

I dont see any hypocrisy here, in the anti-corporate demo, its confusing the economy per se with capitalism and seeking to engender a "you shouldnt be so ungrateful" attitude in the people corporations are liable to trample all over, surely its a matter of adding insult to injury that despite opposing corporations for a variety of reasons people have no option but to work for and consume from them?

On the other hand it could just be an example of the old maxim, I dont know said it, that capitalists will sell commies the rope they use to lynch them.

What if you didnt have to opt out? Opting out is sort of a rats leaving a sinking ship thing isnt it? I thought this when it was the rich deserting public schools for expensive private ones, despite the standards not being better, sometimes being worse and their having paid for the public ones already through taxes.

Better to have high expectations and get the institutions to conform to them.

MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    What if you didnt have to opt out? Opting out is sort of a rats leaving a sinking ship thing isnt it? I thought this when it was the rich deserting public schools for expensive private ones, despite the standards not being better, sometimes being worse and their having paid for the public ones already through taxes.

Better to have high expectations and get the institutions to conform to them.
    There are advantages to private schooling beyond actual education, not that I actually advocate private schools. Old boys networks, that sort of thing.
    I guess you have the point that these sorts of things reach a critical mass, but in the mean time, I have to grit my Teeth while corporations try to tell me how think, what to buy, how I should live, while I bust my ass making some guy I've never met richer. (Ok, I work public sector, and no-ones getting rich there but I still stand by my sentiment.)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

There are advantages to private schooling beyond actual education, not that I actually advocate private schools. Old boys networks, that sort of thing.
    I guess you have the point that these sorts of things reach a critical mass, but in the mean time, I have to grit my Teeth while corporations try to tell me how think, what to buy, how I should live, while I bust my ass making some guy I've never met richer. (Ok, I work public sector, and no-ones getting rich there but I still stand by my sentiment.)
    Some people do. There are patterns of managerialism and board room pay inflation across the public and private sectors which are similar.

Sometimes I like the opting out idea, although its less to do with self-sufficiency and more to do with alienation from the prevailing culture or prefering my own company sometimes.