User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    STP

Default smart ways to save money other uber-cheap living ideas

I am currently aiming for a lifestyle of uber-cheapness to pay off debt and save money, and I wanted to share ideas with anyone else who has taken on a similar challenge.

So far, here are my ideas:

-Riding a bicycle. Everywhere. For long distances take the local bus or for ultra-long distances take the greyhound bus. The price of a ticket is comparable to the cost of gas of driving your own car, so this saves on insurance, parking, gas (for short distances) as well as, obviously, the entire cost of the car. Coupled with body-weight calisthenics you can do at home for free, this also doubles as a gym membership, if you want to think of it that way.

-Utilities included shared housing. Where I live, a person can get a room of a house or apartment shared with other people with "utilities included" (including wireless internet) for $500. Tough to beat, especially when you're living cheap and don't need a bunch of room to store a bunch of stuff you don't need.

-Voice over IP. Cancel your cellphone contract and landline and use this instead. For 2011, you can make free calls over wifi on your smartphone using the Google Voice SIP. After that, other services are available which allow you to make calling-card rate cheap calls to other countries as well as in the US (such as Skype for smartphones). How do you get calls on the go, you ask? Data-only plans from places like Mrsimcard.com (AT&T preferred) or MySimpleMobile.com (T-Mobile) which provide enough mobile 3G data to your smartphone to make sure you can receive VoIP calls wherever you are, and only about $25/month with no contact. Tough to find that kind of rate with a voice plan.
    Good intentions are not enough.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I'm just a cheap bastard but with that i've managed to save quite a lot of money over the last year.

- Food shopping. Named brands are at eye view. Buy the no name brand, it tastes the same and it's cheaper.

- Clothing. Set yourself the task of only buying clothes/shoes which are in a sale and ask yourself do you really need it. Also check out charity shops, i got a gorgeous Gucci skirt for £2.

- Old CD's/DVD's/Books. If you don't use them then sell them on ebay/Amazon .. I'm making a nice little profit on this.

- Samples. Sign up to sites so you can get samples sent to your door. Sometimes they come with coupons so you can get it cheaper.

- Other. Sign up to websites where people are giving away items such as freecycle .. One persons junk is another persons treasure.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    entp

Shop at local Garage Sales on the weekend if you have the time; some are fun to go to so even if you don't find anything you're looking for it's worth a trip.

MBTI
    STP

Excellent contributions... thank you. Keep em coming.
    Good intentions are not enough.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

• Google Phone # (Texting/Calling) vs Cell Phone plan.
    • Purchase daily merchandise w/cash
    • If not a bike, upgrade to motorcycle. They are cheaper and more efficient than motor vehicles.
    Oh, its
    You

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I found I saved money when I shopped online for groceries inspite of having to pay a delivery fee, because I didn't have the sensory temptation of being in the supermarket, so it stopped implusive buying. Better for the waist line too. Seems counter intuitive, but by the time you get a taxi back etc, it does actually save money. Plus you stick to the shopping list.

Don't buy lunch at work, make it before you go. Not only is it cheaper, it's healthier, and honestly there's less wastage, because you aren't picking out the bits you dislike. If you are super organized, make extra when you are cooking tea, and take left overs.

Don't drink soda, drink water.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Ramen Noodles. Pork and Beans. Ravioli in those bags.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

lentils and beans, cooked a million different ways.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

if you're not too proud for food stamps, i'd recommend it. having a couple hundred bucks a month for food is very nice. except i guess that depends on where you live.

Glycerine

Rice-cooker, you add rice to pretty much anything to extend a meal, same with pasta.