User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: smart ways to save money other uber-cheap living ideas

When I was seventeen my kitchen consisted only of.

Olive oil
    Red Pepper
    Tomato Sauce

I spent about, 25 per month in groceries, and incidentally maintained a 110 weight.....

I should also add I am not a huge fan of living cheap. You have to account for some quality of comfort in your life.

4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    Rice-cooker, you add rice to pretty much anything to extend a meal, same with pasta.
    I second this. I eat so many meals on the cheap with rice. Can of tuna + rice. Sauteed veggies + rice.

I also second drinking only water. It's healthier as well. Get a reusable bottle and fill up at your own tap.

Thrift store shopping! I've furnished my entire home from thrift stores.

Couponing. Now, this isn't something I do personally, but I know a few girls that are big into this and also have way overstocked pantries. To the point that they're giving away the extras to me and other friends. One friend would show up at my house with soaps, shampoos, chapsticks, razors, toilet paper, tampons, baked goods and canned items and all kinds of other food items.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

Don't buy something unless you absolutely need it. Don't buy new things where used things would work just fine, as in the case of clothes, cars (or bicycles because that's a way better idea than a car), etc.

Develop cooking skills and make your own food from scratch in big enough portions to have leftovers, and then actually EAT the leftovers instead of making new food.
    MBTI: INTP (PNIT if you wanna put it in order of strength.)
    Socionics: INTp
    Enneagram: 5w4
    Alignment: Neutral Good
    Political Stance: (usually) Very Liberal
    Religious Stance: (roughly) Secular Humanist
    Class: Wizard
    Stereotype: Geek/Hippie

Also, credit for my new avatar goes to this person. I found it on the google.

Eat just rice, tuna, tomatoes and salad.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

827 sp/so
    SLE Ti

actually plan out your meals for the week and make a grocery list of what you need to prepare them... then stick to the list

shop around for quotes on services... you can save hundreds of dollars that way

shop around on groceries... a lot of time rice and spices and stuff are cheaper at ethnic markets than they are at traditional grocery stores

rent movies from the library instead of getting cable service for your home

as said earlier, pack your lunch

the first year after we moved into the house I didn't have a job and money was a bit tight... this stuff really helped out a lot!
    Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom? -Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    lentils and beans, cooked a million different ways.
    Word. The only suggestion I'd give is to first sprout your lentils and beans for more of a nutritional punch which helps extend the food even more.

Always have your own food handy. Make a rotation schedule for food preparation. Every fourth day I prepare wet snacks and every third day I make the lunches for the next three days. I see so many students at university waste money on food. I know someone that must average 12-15 dollars a day spent just on junk food an than on the weekends he spends so much on alcohol and eating out and entertainment. I am probably the least naturally organized person on the planet but it is essential to figure out a system for everything if you want to maintain a decent quality of life without paying for it out the a**.

Unplug all electronics when not in use. Super easy to do by plugging everything into a power strip.

Clean your refrigerator coils and keep gallon milk bottles filled with water in your fridge and freezer if you tend not to have it packed with food.

Buy your clothing from secondhand stores. Find a friend that is military and can get you onto military bases because often they have a charity store that sells the items military have left behind. You can find tons of great stuff especially brand spanking new kitchen appliances which are often difficult to find at your normal secondhand stores.

Sharpen your razors with matchbook paper. It works!!

Change out your shampoo and conditioner to pump style bottles to control how much you use. You'll be amazed at how much longer your shampoo and conditioner will last.

Make a game out of saving money. Don't think of it as some burden you have to do but as a fun challenge! The more you do it the funner it gets!